This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Randomly Sick

123glldd

123glldd Collaborator

Sorry I write so many messages instead of editing the previous post. I just figure it's easier in case someone is in the middle of replying and ends up missing the edit after they send their message. I am wondering if the diarrhea right now is more of a stress thing though. When i first started this thread I had to go again. I wasn't like that yesterday. It felt like when i use to get irritable bowel type pains. Not much came out and now i'm ok again after crying and my husband holding me. No pains or urge to go to the bathroom. I haven't eaten much food with substance to clump up my stool so i dunno if the loose bowels are really related to the other day or not.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GFreeMO Proficient

Wendy, everything is going to be OKAY! Take a deep breath, go watch a movie or something with your husband. Sew or read or do something else. The Libby's pumpkin in safe. If you want to eat it, eat it. Go walk around your local health food store and get some yummy gluten free food. Enjoy Life products are safe for ALL allergens.

I feel for ya! Hang in there. You are ok!

I ate almost an entire bag of Hormel Pepperoni today..My stomach hurts was I glutened. NO. I am positive of it.... We have a bowel disease, sometimes we are just going to feel like crap no matter what we do but thats OKAY! :)

123glldd Collaborator

Wendy, everything is going to be OKAY! Take a deep breath, go watch a movie or something with your husband. Sew or read or do something else. The Libby's pumpkin in safe. If you want to eat it, eat it. Go walk around your local health food store and get some yummy gluten free food. Enjoy Life products are safe for ALL allergens.

I feel for ya! Hang in there. You are ok!

I ate almost an entire bag of Hormel Pepperoni today..My stomach hurts was I glutened. NO. I am positive of it.... We have a bowel disease, sometimes we are just going to feel like crap no matter what we do but thats OKAY! :)

Yeah i guess what confuses me is...will an irritated bowel disease cause upper abdominal pain between the ribs? My husband is going to run out now to get some lean ground beef for me to try eating with the fries. Just so I get something more...clumpy? I haven't eaten anything today and i'm only going to have a small bit. He is also going to pick up cauliflower for me to try. It's low in salicylic acid and i can get it fresh and cook it in the pressure cooker and freeze it till i feel better enough to try something new. Then I will try the pumpkin. It's just so frustrating when you don't know if you have a nightshade issue....a salicylic acid issue....a yeast issue....there was so many things that could have happened to me in august that it left me scratching my head. Everytime i had ketchup i got a heartburny feeling and when i'd eat jalapeno kettle chips my stool would be mucusy again..whether that is a nightshade intolerance..or just peppers....or just irritation while healling..NO idea but it left me with very little options and i've been struggling with this for the last few months it's very taxing on my emotional well being you know? :( I have enjoy life dark chocolate bars out there...i LOVE those but i stopped eating them when i cut out sugar due to possible yeast. I have no idea if i should try that and coconut milk soon or not....because of the sugar...but i definitely miss them :(

123glldd Collaborator

p.s. me and hubby watched "Date with an Angel" (I'd never seen it before and i LOVED it) and Dumbo on Netflix last night and the night before..i hadn't seen Dumbo since I was a little girl. Perhaps tonight we'll watch Alice in Wonderland.

Also...we've decided to get a membership for costco finally. I recently got stressed about salmon because the local grocery store i question how safely they handle their fish. Found out a brand sold at costco is gluten free...pre package. 17 pound cases so i'm going for it. I want to have it at least twice a week.

GFreeMO Proficient

Enjoy your dinner! You have a really sweet husband to go out and get all of that for you.

You are going to love Costco. They have a huge frozen fish isle and a lot of their Kirkland brand foods are marked gluten free.

You are going to be ok! Celiac sucks but it is what it is. We are going to have good days and bad days.

As far as the spicy chips, heck, those would make lots of people have stomach upset...maybe try the plain ones ;)

Hang in there.

123glldd Collaborator

I know I've been saying it for years now he's my guardian angel and i'm never letting him go. He's got an autoimmune reaction to gluten as well but he's not much of a reactor that we can tell and he's fine with dairy and all that. It's so depressing when i smell his gluten free pizza and i want some so bad :( Luckily over the years i got very into fish and veggies. I just haven't been able to re-introduce it all but i love vegetables. Most of the time I don't even feel i need to put anything on them or the fish. I was worried about kirkland because when i was in canada visiting home my mom was going to take me in there to pick up some stuff and so i called costco canada and they said their kirkland brand is just re-packaged other brands...so it seemed shady and i avoided the brand. But i know there must be tons of other stuff they have there like the fish i found that are other companies i can contact. I'm sure my husband will find some stuff in bullk he can use at least. My big concern right now is getting my salmon with all it's nutrients and vitamin D and omega's. I've been eating the plain sea salt chips and they seem to be fine. Mostly everything else is spicy or dairy in some way so i avoid them for now. I miss peppers so much.

123glldd Collaborator

Ironic you say it is what it is..just read this tonight Open Original Shared Link

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

love2travel Mentor

For ages I was obsessed with my health (serious chronic pain I have had for five years now that never goes away) and it was not healthy. It is difficult not to obsess. I know. Thankfully I no longer do that. Rather than focusing on my health I do things I enjoy. Someone mentioned sewing, etc. Glad you and hubby watched a movie together recently. It really helps to take your mind off things. I know and understand you are sick and feel too ill to go out. You may have to force yourself to. There have been times I've been so sick when walking in the park I've thrown up in the trees but I made myself do it anyway. Sometimes my back pain is so excruciating I can only walk 50 metres. Or less. But fresh air feels so wonderful! Even our harsh cold winter air here (until it gets down to -40, that is). My point is things will start falling into place once this no longer controls you and you control it. My chiro said I had what is called Fear Avoidance. I was scared to do something IN CASE something happened. That is no way to live. Remember there is ALWAYS, ALWAYS hope. :)

123glldd Collaborator

Were you getting sick from the celiac or sick from the pain? Ouch.

I use to be such a trooper as a child. Day of my kindergarten graduation I got very sick...went home and napped...I was told I didn't have to go but i wanted to. So I was getting sick backstage and everything but...i stil went on and did my little number (each kid had a poem or a song etc to do). I'm trying to draw inspiration from little me. But it's hard.

Last winter i had low cortisol after a flu and i was going to see a thyroid doctor in NYC and walking around before hand got weak and shaky and had to sit on the floor in columbus circle. Security guard came up to us telling us we couldn't sit there but i didn't want to move. Some people just have no sense when it comes to illnesses. Like they were trying to make me feel bad. Another guy who was dressed much more "professional" looking was coochied down on his cell phone and he wasn't told to leave.

My main thing right now will be motion sickness. Though maybe tomorrow i will go out on the front step for a while hopefully.

love2travel Mentor

Were you getting sick from the celiac or sick from the pain? Ouch.

I use to be such a trooper as a child. Day of my kindergarten graduation I got very sick...went home and napped...I was told I didn't have to go but i wanted to. So I was getting sick backstage and everything but...i stil went on and did my little number (each kid had a poem or a song etc to do). I'm trying to draw inspiration from little me. But it's hard.

Last winter i had low cortisol after a flu and i was going to see a thyroid doctor in NYC and walking around before hand got weak and shaky and had to sit on the floor in columbus circle. Security guard came up to us telling us we couldn't sit there but i didn't want to move. Some people just have no sense when it comes to illnesses. Like they were trying to make me feel bad. Another guy who was dressed much more "professional" looking was coochied down on his cell phone and he wasn't told to leave.

My main thing right now will be motion sickness. Though maybe tomorrow i will go out on the front step for a while hopefully.

I was sick from going through withdrawals from a very strong drug for pain. The withdrawal symptoms lasted for months so everywhere I went I took a bag with me just in case. A really gross feeling to be certain.

Motion sickness is tough. Are you able to take Gravol? That is what I used to take because I was vomiting so often that I became dehydrated easily.

123glldd Collaborator

OH yes I've taken gravol..i think it's called dramamine or something here but I come from canada originally. I was very sick in the 6th grade and took it all the time. I think now it would probably actually trigger me to be sick just because i associate it SOOOOOOOO strongly with that time. ugh. But on the bright side..the motion sickness comes and goes. I also have some essential oils like peppermint and ginger that are suppose to be good for helping with that. Last January we went to disney world and i went on the star tours ride. I went on it in 2009 and was fine after....this time? Sat on the floor for about 10 minutes outside the ride...then sat outside the store feeling sick for a while after that (if you haven't been to that there is a star wars store after you leave the ride)...oh it was horrible. So i haven't always been this way heh

Celiac Mindwarp Community Regular

Just wanted to send some hugs. I was house bound for months during pregnancy and I nearly went bananas. Just short trips out really helped. Jennifer is great isn't she?. Do go easy on yourself, this disease stinks sometimes, and I know I have days when I am pleased just to get through, have a bit of company and watch TV or listen to the radio.

Fingers crossed for a better day today

Bubba's Mom Enthusiast

Supplements don't agree with me much. I was taking vitamin D3+K2 in a liquid supplement form before all this. At some point while visiting my family back home i realized it was tasting funny. So i stopped drinking it for a couple weeks till we got back and i bought more. Next thing i knew it i didn't have the guts to try it after my glluten or whatever it was reaction in august because i MIGHT have a salicylic acid problem and it's a fruity drink it comes in. I'm scared to take normal supplements because my tummy is sensitive even to food right now so supplements are scarier especially in pill form. The company who makes my vitamin I was taking is nutrimetrix and it's apparently gluten free but whether that's certified i have no idea. They just told me it was. But it's not even so much the gluten that worries me about it...well, that's a lie...all of it worries me but...calcium i have never taken..never needed to because i always drank so much milk and ate greens. Since all this in august I've not had much of both only cabbage and broccoli and some turnip greens that may or may not have upset my stomach. I desperately know i want calcium. Which is why I've focused on that. It's also why i eat the rice chex and beans...per serving the beans have 4%...the rice chex 10% etc Even more worrisome about the calcium is that i eat protein ..and protein can block absorption of calcium so even tho i may get 20-30 % my daily intake of calcium a day...i dunno how much of it is being absorbed. I know I need to eat more but i can't very well try something knew after the turnip greens when my tummy ache lasts a week and then it was christmas and i just wanted a merry christmas and i was going to try pumpkin we have in cans here after christmas but now i'm sick again. I can never feel well enough for enough time to be able to experiment. When the sickness lasts a while and then i don't have much time to get something new into me. I'm not going to try something new while i'm still sick otherwise i won't know if it bothers me and it's becoming a huge hinderance to me so I don't like feeling judged by some on here about this. I'm trying as best I can. This is why i brought up the random tummy pains that don't involve diarrhea or anything like that...the part of my original message that is completely different from what i have now...because that has become a hinderance to my being able to experiment. I can't tell for the life of me whether it was the turnip greens or that i get this odd ache randomly mid month because it seemed that way from the last couple months. I'm waiting for mid month this month to see before introducing something else completely new. Otherwise i won't know whether to try the turnip greens again or not. This is all too frustrating. I cry almost every day because I don't know what to do with myself. I wish people on here would ASK me though instead of making me feel judged..assuming i don't eat protein etc. All I said was what I had the day before my getting sick i didn't list off everything i eat :(

It sounds like you're having a real rough time getting things sorted? I went through a lot of the same things you are now going through. We are all different, but I can tell you what has helped me, and you can see if this applies to you as well?

1. I found I was reacting to soy-even very small amounts, like what's in supplements, by having nausea. Sometimes I would vomit, but mostly I had nausea. I cut all of it out and nausea stopped.

2. Pain in the stomach turned out to be gastritis. Spices like nutmeg and paprika really bothered me. I cut those out and started eating organic berries. They help heal gastritis. There's a supplement called Rutin you can take that has the same healing effect.

3. The dye annatto doesn't agree with me at all. When I looked up annatto I was surprised to see it compared to nutmeg and peppers.

Annatto, sometimes called roucou or achiote, is derived from the seeds of the Open Original Shared Link trees of Open Original Shared Link and Open Original Shared Link regions around the world. The seeds are sourced to produce a carotenoid-based yellow to orange Open Original Shared Link and flavor. Its scent is described as "slightly peppery with a hint of Open Original Shared Link" and flavor as "slightly nutty, sweet and peppery".Open Original Shared Link

Bubba's Mom Enthusiast

Also, I had to go free from all grains, dairy, and refined sugar. Basically, I eat a Paleo diet..minus the peppers for now. I feel better, but I'm still healing. I hope with time to get back some of the foods I've had to cut.

I wanted to also mention, that if you are concerned about a yeast overgrowth, you should be taking a good probiotic every day. Use a good quality coconut oil in your diet daily too. It has anti-yeast and anti-microbe effects.

Do you keep a food log? Just write down what you eat,(brand names included) along with any symptoms. Many food intolerance reactions are delayed, so having a way to go back and put pieces of the puzzle together is really helpful.

Hang in there..you will get better once you find what your body wants.

123glldd Collaborator

I'm scared to say I'm beginning to wonder if I have a salicylic acid problem and therefore coconut oil would be out....I've been reading about this and a lot of dark leafy greens are high in it...it seems turnip greens caused tummy ache before but my main reason for thinking this? I recently got some young living essential oils. My husbands Aunt uses them all the time....i got peppermint and ginger and was sniffing them quite a bit the couple days before i got sick. Both are high in salicyllic acid and apparently even sniffing sals can cause a reaction so now i'm wondering =\ Really upset too because people with problems with sals many times can't even smell mowed grass and that's one of my strongest childhood summer memories ...with everything else that's cut out of my life right now along with that I am really starting to feel like i'm going to be living in a plastic bubble :( I woke up very depressed today :(

GFinDC Veteran

Hi Krista,

I had to give up bean for a couple years because of reactions to them. But I can now eat limited amounts of them. Black beans, also called turtle beans are the ones that work best for me. I pretty much only eat them actually. I get the dried beans and cook them myself, instead of getting pre-cooked ones. I wash them before cooking also.

Some other things you could try are DGL (deglycerized licorice) and mastic gum. They are both good to fight H. Pylori. Mastic gum is reputed to be a digestive aid also. Epazote is another herb and is supposed to help with digesting beans. I haven't tried it myself.

Have you tried taking Betaine HCL when eating?

Sometimes this food stuff can get confusing. But it is worth trying a few things different to see if it helps. I don't know why the black beans work so much better for me, but they may be worth a try for you too. I still don't eat eat them every day though. A couple times a week is plenty IMHO.

Archived