This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Homemade Mayo

KikiB

love2travel Mentor

On the topic of homemade mayo, for those of you who may not know, you can make hundreds of kinds of aioli with all sorts of flavours such as infusing some chipotle en adobo or lemon garlic or saffron. There is no limit to what you can make. There should also be no reason whatsoever to cook your homemade mayonnaise for those of you who are not into that sort of thing.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

burdee Enthusiast

I have not been able to find a mayo without soy, and started searching for mayo recipes.

Open Original Shared Link

This was super easy and the mayo came out great.

Before I found dairy/egg/soy free mayonnaises (Earth Balance Olive Oil and Vegenaise w/ Olive Oil), I made mayo with raw cashews, lemon juice, honey and salt in the blender. It was not as good as the Earth Balance and Vegenaise dairy/egg/soy free versions, but I had something for sandwiches (and brocolli) until I found those 2 brands.

cahill Collaborator

Before I found dairy/egg/soy free mayonnaises (Earth Balance Olive Oil and Vegenaise w/ Olive Oil), I made mayo with raw cashews, lemon juice, honey and salt in the blender. It was not as good as the Earth Balance and Vegenaise dairy/egg/soy free versions, but I had something for sandwiches (and brocolli) until I found those 2 brands.

I was using a soy free canola oil mayo but I am now reacting to Xanthan gum and have not ( as of yet) found a mayo with out it :wacko: So I am going to attempt to make my own . ^_^
SUZIN Newbie

This is my Mayo recipe: 1/2C light olive oil, 1/2 C water, 1 Tab vinegar, 1 Tab lemon juice, 1/2 tsp dry mustard, 1/2 tsp sugar, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp Xanthan, 1 tsp sweet rice flour....put all in blender and blend till it is creamy (I usually shake the mix a couple times in the jar to be sure it is blending everything).... it will thicken in the frig...This is the basic mayo recipe.... If you want to make it more like Ranch Dressing, add....1/2 tsp parsley flakes, 1/4 tsp pepper, 1/4 tsp garlic powder, 1/4 tsp onion powder and a pinch of thyme.... .I have a Hamilton Beach blender that uses a regular mason jar size screw on blades, so I use the blades and screw them on a pint jar and use that on the blender....that way I can just use the pint jar and lid to store the mayo in....

mbrookes Community Regular

I have made mayo for years the way Mama did:

Start with 1 egg, beaten with electric mixer until light yellow

Add 2 cups oil (I use Wesson, but it will work with olive or corn to avoid soy) This is important: add a drop of oil at a time while beating until it begins to emulsify. Then pour in a very thin stream until all used.

Add salt and lemon juice to your taste. If it tastes too oily, you probably need more salt.

At this point, add any flavorings you like such as mustard powder, chili powder, or finely crushed fresh herbs.

SUZIN Newbie

a1956chill......I have not tried it without the xanthan.....perhaps you could increase the sweet rice flour a little and see....or even sub some gelatin....I've heard gelatin will thicken dressings.....

SUZIN Newbie

KikiB......I use light olive oil.....and real apple cider vinegar....watch out for vinegar....read the label to be sure it isn't made from grain, or something other than apples.....I use Heinz apple cider vinegar..... and I look at the label to be sure it isn't made from something else..... even Heinz has "apple cider" vinegar made from something else too....I even watch out for olive oil....some of them are not totally olive oil....they are a mix......

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

beachbirdie Contributor

I don't use raw egg...I've had good success using powdered egg white. Since we don't eat a LOT of mayonnaise, I don't worry about the Omega-6 in the sunflower oil, but light olive oil works well as does avocado oil. Avocado oil is awfully expensive though!

CommonTater Contributor

We buy regular Duke's mayo, it is simply the best.

cahill Collaborator

We buy regular Duke's mayo, it is simply the best.

Dukes is made with soy oil so it is off limits for me :(
cahill Collaborator

This is the recipe I use....No eggs, no cooking..... gluten-free Mayo 1/2 Cup oil, 1/2 Cup water, 1 Tablespoon Vinegar, 1 Tablespoon lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard, 1/2 teaspoon sugar, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon Xanthan, 1 teaspoon sweet rice flour....put all in a blender and blend till it is creamy, it takes a while ....This is the basic mayo.....you can add other seasonings to make it a variety....One type I make I call Ranch...I add 1/2 teaspoon parsley flakes, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/4 teaspoon onion powder, and a pinch to thyme...it will thicken in the frig and it will keep 2 to 3 weeks in the frig....Instead of using the blender jar one of the things I do is measure all the ingredients in a pint canning jar, then I screw on my Hamilton Beach blender blades on the top of the jar, and blend it right in the pint jar...while I am blending the mayo I remove the jar and shake it a couple times to make sure everything is being blended.....by putting it in the jar I'm going to store it in I don't have to transfer it from the blender....that way I don't have to bother cleaning out the blender jar.....I don't remember where I got this recipe, but I sure have used it allot, and it makes a nice mayo....

I am going to make this today,,, I have a question .. You add the ingredients all at once to the blender?? not the oil one drop at a time like other mayo recipes ?
  • 2 weeks later...
KikiB Explorer

KikiB......I use light olive oil.....and real apple cider vinegar....watch out for vinegar....read the label to be sure it isn't made from grain, or something other than apples.....I use Heinz apple cider vinegar..... and I look at the label to be sure it isn't made from something else..... even Heinz has "apple cider" vinegar made from something else too....I even watch out for olive oil....some of them are not totally olive oil....they are a mix......

Thanks for the tips!

Archived