This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Does This Mean For Sure He Is Not Gluten Int/celiac?

TammyTE

TammyTE Apprentice

My 8yo ds was grain free for 10 months.

We added grains back in for 3 months.

He had blood work done but they forgot to order the celiac test.

He had stayed on grains up until a week before the 2nd test.

The 6 days before he had some quaker oats but nothing else until the day before.

The night before the 2nd blood draw he had a sandwich

The morning of he had a sanwich.

It was the best I could do because I thought we would be going off gluten very soon because he showed an allergy to wheat. Now we re still on grains until we see an allergist in a few weeks.

Do you think this test is accurate? Since the total IgA was 107 and considered "sufficient" that would mean he had enough gluten in his system right? Or am I wrong to assume that? here are his results:

Biomarkers

Total IgA = 107 (Sufficient) Range 17-94

Anti-Tissue Transglutamanase IgA (tTG IgA) = <1.2 (Negative) Range <4.0

Anti-Deamidated Gliadin IgA (DGP IgA) = 2 (Negative) Range <20

Anti-Gliadin IgA (AGA IgA) = 2 (Negative) Range <20

Anti-Gliadin IgG (AGA IgG) = 15 (Negative) Range <20

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mushroom Proficient

Tammy, the Total IgA, when it says "sufficient" in the results, just means that your son makes what is considered to be a normal amount of IgA antibodies (in general) for someone his age. It says nothing at all about whether or not he was eating sufficient gluten for the test to be valid. Neither would the two sandwiches he ate immediately before the test affect whether or not he tested positive or negative for celiac. It is hard to say whether the one week of no gluten preceding the test had any impact on his results. I know this is very frustrating for you, that they "forgot" to do the celiac testing when that is what you were eating gluten for. However, it is what it is. :):rolleyes:

TammyTE Apprentice

Tammy, the Total IgA, when it says "sufficient" in the results, just means that your son makes what is considered to be a normal amount of IgA antibodies (in general) for someone his age. It says nothing at all about whether or not he was eating sufficient gluten for the test to be valid. Neither would the two sandwiches he ate immediately before the test affect whether or not he tested positive or negative for celiac. It is hard to say whether the one week of no gluten preceding the test had any impact on his results. I know this is very frustrating for you, that they "forgot" to do the celiac testing when that is what you were eating gluten for. However, it is what it is. :):rolleyes:

Well shoot. Do you think I should keep him on gluten (we still haven't stopped it because everything has been so uncertain.) for his allergy appt in a couple weeks? Then I could ask the allergist to run a new gluten panel. Does the number of 15 on the IgG seem like things could be close at all or am I over thinking it and maybe he doesn't have an issue?

I DO know that he is a different child when off grains. That is certain. I just don't know why. because when he was off grains he was also off tons of other stuff. Dairy, sugar and beans are some main foods he also avoided for that 10 mos or so.

mushroom Proficient

No, I do not think the 15 score has a lot of meaning. While not a negative, it is a very weak "peep" on the scale. But not getting positive scores on celiac testing does NOT mean that he does not have an issue with gluten. It just means that he flunked the test :D because he didn't study hard enough? :rolleyes: I do believe you when you say he is a different child when off grains - heck, I believe I was talking about non-celiac gluten sensitivity a long while before people like Dr. Fasano got around to it. When you are SURE that all testing is complete, definitely take him gluten free, no doubt in my mind, regardless of what the test results are. It's just this darned testing that's getting in his way. Once he is off grains (and I would include dairy at first) you will find out if there is anything else he needs to be off. This could include sugar, beans, soy, corn.... no way of knowing right now. If you try removing one or more of them and he still has problems then take him back to what he was eating when he didn't have problems and trial the other foods one at a time.

Yes, you have come this far, go the extra couple of weeks on gluten until the allergy appointment and ask for the panel to be run again, and tell the allergist why.

TammyTE Apprentice

Thanks. I sure hope the allergist will listen. We've never seen him before. He has a blog and I've read several of his articles. He *seems* to have a very common sense approach, which is what drew me to him.

radish Newbie

Thanks. I sure hope the allergist will listen. We've never seen him before. He has a blog and I've read several of his articles. He *seems* to have a very common sense approach, which is what drew me to him.

who is the allergist? just curious :)

TammyTE Apprentice
Open Original Shared Link is his blog. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived