• Ads by Google:

Get email alerts Celiac.com E-Newsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alertsCeliac.com E-Newsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.
  • Celiac.com Sponsor:
    Celiac.com Sponsor:

Need Help With Sibo In Kids--Input?
7 7

28 posts in this topic

Thank you so much for sharing... we struggle with my daughters diet but it has only been 10 months so we are still learning the ropes. 

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

These are all low in fermentable carbs, but limit amounts to see what is tolerated (for us, 2 tortillas, two biscuits, one sandwich round) and don't load up on lots of baked goods in a day  I try to limit it to one baked good per day  

Tortilla/ flat bread:  http://comfybelly.com/2013/04/tortillas-and-a-book-giveaway/#.WScABoFOmEc

Sandwich Rounds (good with peanut butter): http://comfybelly.com/2013/08/sandwich-rounds-using-almond-flour/#.WScAm4FOmEc

Biscuit (these are amazing. Make them sweet and serve with strawberries and coconut cream, savory and make sausage sandwiches, etc):

http://healthyindulgences.net/2008/08/easy-low-carb-gluten-free-biscuits/

Oh wow!  I haven't been here in days because I have been POURING over the most recent SIBO literature! 

Have you heard of Dr Nemechek?  https://www.nemechekconsultativemedicine.com/

His approach is very simple and essentially you STOP using probiotics and start taking Inulin.  It is all very fascinating and falling in with what we are seeing with our daughter.

In a nutshell he says that the bacteria that has overpopulated is "damaging" the system (second brain).  That they are meant to stay in the colon but start to grow out (for multiple reasons) and expand into areas of the intestines that should be populated by other area specific bacteria.  They slowly take over and expand out further. 

Probiotics feed EVERYTHING and make the SIBO worse and Antibiotics kills EVERYTHING and does nothing to solve the problem either.  There is one antibiotic - Rifaximin that stays in the colon and does not permeate its walls.  Other than that he suggests that you FEED the good bacteria and allow them to thrive and naturally win back the territory.  Inulin is the food that they eat and taking Inulin (Chickory root fibre) will nourish the healthy bacteria. 

3 months ago we stripped away Gluten and dairy and saw HUGE results and then lost them.  We also introduced a very high quality multi-strain probiotic.  Dr Nemechek says that the fact that some people see gains when they go gluten-free/DF because they essentially "starve" the bad bacteria and there is a bit of a dying off.  But it is not fixing the core issue and often you can see food intolerances and symtoms worsen even though you are still gluten-free/DF.  This is EXACTLY the dynamic we are seeing with our daughter.  She is eating AIR but is still in pain and now her Sensory issues seem worse than ever (thanks to the probiotic maybe)?

He also says that the healthy bacteria secrete an acidic compound that kills off the bad bacteria which also explains why some people feel better when they consume ACV.

I find the entire thing fascinating!