This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Spring Rolls?

GF Lover

GF Lover Rising Star

Hubs found me some gluten-free spring roll wrap things. I think you make a Chinese food in them.

Since I don't like Chinese food, I was wondering what I can do with them. I've never had one so I don't know how they taste. I also don't know how to cook them or if you eat them right out of the package.

Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks

Colleen

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

What is it you don't like about chinese food? spring rolls are rice paper wrapped around veggies (and sometimes rice noodles). so, it's rice and veggies.... you can dip it in any variety of sauces...

mushroom Proficient

Or you can make a chopped filling for them including things like shrimp, roll them up and shallow pan saute them for a crisp hot version. It helps with the rolling if you place them on a square of parchment paper and roll with that because they can be a big fragile. (You have to dip them in very hot water to soften first.)

GF Lover Rising Star

What is it you don't like about chinese food?

I don't care for the whole sweet and sour thing. Yup, I lump all chinese food into sweet and sour, lol. I know that is a mistake so maybe I will venture into the dark side :ph34r:

Colleen

love2travel Mentor

You do not need to make them Chinese. Many (including myself) prefer spring rolls in the Vietnamese, Malaysian or Thai way. You need not make a sweet and sour sauce at all - there are thousands upon thousands of other sauces. As mentioned above, you can add all sorts of things by adding any proteins/fillings you want from shrimp to chicken to pork to beef to vegetarian. You can make a coconut peanut sauce or a Thai hot and spicy sauce.

Open Original Shared Link

mushroom Proficient

I don't care for the whole sweet and sour thing. Yup, I lump all chinese food into sweet and sour, lol. I know that is a mistake so maybe I will venture into the dark side :ph34r:

Colleen

That's the last thing I think of when I think Chinese, because it is such a hump getting over the soy sauce :rolleyes: And the chilis with Thai food. And the legumes and nightshades with mediterranean. Just as well my family was British and my taste for more exotic developed (to the extent it did) later.

kareng Grand Master

You can really wrap anything you want in them:

Left over salad & dip in dressing

Steak and grilled peppers or even mashed potatoes or cheese

Chicken and dip in BBQ sauce

Cream cheese and strawberries dip in vanilla yogurt

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

Baklava.....

mushroom Proficient

Baklava.....

You have a method there, Bunnie???

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

No, I've just read people say they've used those rice paper rolls to make baklava.

Always a good idea! :lol:

Adalaide Mentor

I have had great success in the past with converting The Pioneer Woman's recipes. I would just use Open Original Shared Link and use the paper for it. I would of course butter between every layer, not every other. I would also use a round pan for ease. Now that the idea is in my head I have the inkling to go buy a bag of nuts and do this.

tarnalberry Community Regular

True, I tend to do the vietnamese style. So, it's the rice paper, shredded lettuce (or cabbage), Julienne carrots (and/or bell beppers), chicken or shrimp, rice noodles (cold), wrapped up. I like to dip them in peanut sauce, myself.

mushroom Proficient

I have had great success in the past with converting The Pioneer Woman's recipes. I would just use Open Original Shared Link and use the paper for it. I would of course butter between every layer, not every other. I would also use a round pan for ease. Now that the idea is in my head I have the inkling to go buy a bag of nuts and do this.

Now for the big question: Do you moiston the rice paper or not before you butter it?

Adalaide Mentor

Now for the big question: Do you moiston the rice paper or not before you butter it?

I would wet them. Since phyllo dough is wet, I would assume we would need wet wrappers. Although, I think I would butter them, then wet them. Cause it would be easier.

GF Lover Rising Star

Do you get them wet no matter what you put in?

Do you always fry them? Can you eat them raw? Baked?

Colleen

kareng Grand Master

I remebered that we have had this discussion a few times before:

http://www.celiac.co...rs/#entry818593

Go down to the one by Magpiewrites

https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/68504-fruits-and-vegetables/

GottaSki Mentor

You can really wrap anything you want in them:

Left over salad & dip in dressing

Steak and grilled peppers or even mashed potatoes or cheese

Chicken and dip in BBQ sauce

Cream cheese and strawberries dip in vanilla yogurt

We use them like this - boys love them with all sorts of leftovers thrown in - I usually just put meat with my basil or cilantro "pesto". I haven't had rice since March, but rice is the first grain ill be testing in the coming months - I'm getting excited planning already!

kareng Grand Master

We use them like this - boys love them with all sorts of leftovers thrown in - I usually just put meat with my basil or cilantro "pesto". I haven't had rice since March, but rice is the first grain ill be testing in the coming months - I'm getting excited planning already!

How do you prepare the rice paper? Do you cook it? Does it stay rolled up if you want to bring it for lunch? Could I freeze ones with freezable insides and thaw at a later date?

GottaSki Mentor

I dip them in a bowl of hot water - then put on paper towel - add stuffing - then roll - we have taken them in back pack for picnic lunch - never frozen them, but have made them the night before and kept in frig.

GF Lover Rising Star

I remebered that we have had this discussion a few times before:

http://www.celiac.co...rs/#entry818593

Go down to the one by Magpiewrites

http://www.celiac.co...and-vegetables/

Karen,

Wow. Great links. Thank you.

Colleen

shadowicewolf Proficient

Are they easy to find in stores?

GF Lover Rising Star

My Hubs found them in our local grocery store (Krogers). I had never seen them before.

Previously I had talked to the management about gluten free foods. Told them about keeping gluten-free flours above the other stuff, etc. I had also asked them to start stocking more gluten free stuff, not just pre-packaged stuff and cookies. They have done quite well at adding new items as time goes by.

Colleen

• 1 month later...
ajnemajrje Newbie

No, I've just read people say they've used those rice paper rolls to make baklava.

Always a good idea! :lol:

I heard that you can do this too :P

I was thinking that rice paper might work as a replacement for phyllo

• 1 month later...
Brandiwine Contributor

Reading this thread had me craving spring rolls (a pre gluten-free favo of mine) but sadly I couldn't find gluten-free papers at my grocery :( I wonder if the health food store would have them....

Marilyn R Community Regular

If  you have an oriental store nearby, they'll have rice paper (and noodles) in an assortment of sizes.  Some people don't like to purchase from oriental stores, but I've had no problems and I've found that the prices are significantly better than mainstream grocery stores.

Archived