This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Does Wine Make You Sick?

spryng

spryng Rookie

So Ive been gluten free for over two months now...I feel great but recently I noticed Im getting sick after having a glass of white wine. I checked months ago to make sure its gluten-free and it is, its St James white wine and the first time I thought I drank too much on an empty stomach (two glasses on new years eve) led to an entire night of vomiting and diarhea then last night I had one glass and again an entire night of vomiting etc. Do any of you have reactions to alcohol? I have been so careful with what I eat and drink, havent been glutened once and now this? Any thoughts or experiences?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mbrookes Community Regular

I only have a problem when I over-indulge. Your system may be especially sensitive to anything since you are so recently gluten-free. Give it a little while and try again. Several things that made me sick at first do not any more since my system has had time to heal.

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

Over the years, a great deal of people have reported issues with alcohol of all

kinds after going gluten free. I myself went from being able to drink like a fish to

being a two-and-done person almost overnight. Some people have trouble

tolerating alcohol at all. For now, I would say to go ahead and skip all alcoholic

beverages for at least a few months, clearly your system is rejecting it, and it's

not going to help if you keep forcing the issue.Sorry you feel so yucky! If any

alcohol had ever made me throw up I don't think I'd ever drink again....

spryng Rookie

The crazy thing is it was almost like my stomach wasnt digesting my meals yesterday at all. When I got sick after my glass of wine this was around midnight I threw up dinner...ALL of it and lunch and even breakfast! All of it like it was just sitting and not digesting...anyone have that issue too? Maybe I need to start a probiotic? any brands that are gluten-free? So I think the wine made me sick but there is something else going on (or lack of going on) within my stomach and digestive system. I do take vitamins daily etc but maybe I need something else too.

Opa3 Apprentice

Maybe I need to start a probiotic? any brands that are gluten-free?

I just started taking MegaFood, "MegaFlora Plus." It' dairy, soy and certified gluten-free.

Make progress, become well and stay well.

DerpTyler Newbie

I can drink just fine but if your in a social setting contamination is brutal, I cant play beer pong anymore :(

mushroom Proficient

So I think the wine made me sick but there is something else going on (or lack of going on) within my stomach and digestive system. I do take vitamins daily etc but maybe I need something else too.

Maybe, in addition to probiotics, you need to take a digestive enzyme with each meal. Gluten can play havoc with the pancreas, and if it isn't putting out enzymes, nothing much is going to get digested. All you've got working for you is the enzymes in your saliva at that point. Of course, you could have a motility problem too, slow passage of food through the gastrointestinal tract. Do you have a doctor you can talk to about this? They can measure the amount of time it takes for your food to passage, and there are medications that can help speed it on its way. But first I would try the digestive enzymes. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Hala Apprentice

I've had problems with tolerating any alcohol since my first coeliac symptoms started to arise....I completely skip the drunk stage and go straight to an awful sick/hangover stage!

cap6 Enthusiast

I too used to be able to drink (wine) with no problem.... then I got sick. I wen through about 6 months of not drinking (and pouting ;) ) before I tried it again. It was another six months or so before I could do much more than a Small glass without becoming totally drunk. Your body has gone throug hmajor trauma and like anything else needs time (sometimes it feels like too much time) to heal. While you heal you may find that other foods/beverages start to bother you. It's all in the healing........ Give it some time and try again.

GottaSki Mentor

I can drink red, not white -- and have to limit the red due to histamine intolerance.

White wine started bothering me shortly after I went gluten free -- I always thought it was because it had more sulphites than red -- I don't do well with anything that ends with -ite, -ate or -ose.

Pegleg84 Collaborator

The alcohol is probably bothering you more right now because your gut is trying to heal. Like others have said, I'd lay off it for a few months then see how it goes.

Many celiacs do end up having problems with alcohol in general though, or sulphite allergies, etc.

I know what you mean about "skipping the drunk stage". I was HORRIBLY sick on NYE as well (didn't eat a full meal before going, and who knows what kind of CC I got into with party food...) and it took weeks to heal my poor raw gut. Thankfully, on a good stomach day, I can handle a couple glasses of wine (slowly) with little problem.

So, be a tea-totaller (sp?) for a few months, then ease back into it and see how you feel.

And definitely take digestive enzymes. Even 4 years gluten-free, I don't know what I do without them now.

happy healing

spryng Rookie

Thank you all so much! What digestive enzymes do you suggest? Imgonna get that and a probiotic this weekend.

langone7 Apprentice

I can't drink at all, even before gluten free, I would get horribly dizzy, nauseated, etc. after even a sip. I take Soloray digestaway enzymes.

mushroom Proficient

I used to take VSL#3 for my leaky gut, but they are very expensive, and now I just buy whatever looks good. Lots of forum members recommend Digest Gold.

spryng Rookie

Thank you all so much! I jotted those names down and will look for them this weekend. I do feel 1000% better since being gluten-free I guess I just need to allow my body to continue to heal and take some supplements to aide in digestion.

GottaSki Mentor

Thank you all so much! I jotted those names down and will look for them this weekend. I do feel 1000% better since being gluten-free I guess I just need to allow my body to continue to heal and take some supplements to aide in digestion.

Good Plan.

Cheers!

(when you are ready)

GFinDC Veteran

Hi Spryng,

I can't do any grapes, so no wine or anything with grapes. Took me a while to figure that one out. I thought it was the alcohol in the wine, but it was the grapes instead. Oh well. :)

A few more things that you might want to pick up on your shopping trip.

Pepto Bismol

Milk of Magnesia

Betaine HCL

DGL (Deglysterized licorice)

Mastic Gum

Lactaid pills ( if you are eating dairy still)

Aspirin

Industrial size TP supply (Ha Ha, just kidding)

Some starting the gluten-free diet tips for the first 6 months:

Get tested before starting the gluten-free diet.

Get your vitamin/mineral levels tested also.

Don't eat in restaurants

Eat only whole foods not processed foods.

Eat only food you cook yourself, think simple foods, not gourmet meals.

Take probiotics.

Take gluten-free vitamins.

Take digestive enzymes.

Avoid dairy.

Avoid sugars and starchy foods.

Avoid alcohol.

Helpful threads:

FAQ Celiac com

http://www.celiac.co...celiac-disease/

Newbie Info 101

http://www.celiac.co...ewbie-info-101/

What's For Breakfast Today?

http://www.celiac.co...reakfast-today/

Happyw5 Explorer

So Ive been gluten free for over two months now...I feel great but recently I noticed Im getting sick after having a glass of white wine. I checked months ago to make sure its gluten-free and it is, its St James white wine and the first time I thought I drank too much on an empty stomach (two glasses on new years eve) led to an entire night of vomiting and diarhea then last night I had one glass and again an entire night of vomiting etc. Do any of you have reactions to alcohol? I have been so careful with what I eat and drink, havent been glutened once and now this? Any thoughts or experiences?

I am allergic to grapes. I cannot drink red wine, raisins, or grape juice (or grapes). But I can have a glass of champagne occasionally and not get sick. I don't know why only the red bother me though. I remember before I found out about it and I had a glass of wine and I thought I was coming down with the flu. I was so sick, was vomiting horrilbly and then I passed out for about 3 hours and woke up fine. Same thing happened after I had gluten free raisin bread...That's when it all started coming together and sure enough-allery test was positive!

jebby Enthusiast

I began to get sick from wine, especially whites, about 2 years into being gluten free due to a sulfite intolerance which I had never had before. Some white wines have 3x the amount of sulfites than reds. I kept a food journal and realized that I was reacting to other sulfited foods like raisins and dried fruits, molasses, coconut flakes, and vinegar. There are no test for a sulfite intolerance, but there are a ton of us on FB in a group called "sulfitesnomore." The majority of the women on there have either celiac disease or non celiac gluten sensitivity, so it seems that the 2 problems are somehow linked.

Expattycake Newbie

I had a lot of issues with wine (some would be fine, most would be horrible) before going gluten free. Even just a glass or two would often have me throwing up and miserable the next day. Now, about two years into going gluten free I very rarely have an issue and can split a bottle over dinner with my husband without worrying. I think it was one of the many things that I never associated with my other digestion problems until eliminating gluten "mysteriously" made so many other issues go away.

Raywuwei Explorer
I myself went from being able to drink like a fish to

being a two-and-done person almost overnight.

I am dealing with the same adjustment. I've been gluten-free since May and only in the last few months started having issues with drinking. If I have three, I black out. It's embarrassing to admit this has happened more than once, but I used to be able to put 'em down and now two is almost over doing it. Just be sure to listen to what your body says!

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

Insta-lightweight! ;)

KMMO320 Contributor

Yes, wine makes me very. very sick. Almost sicker than a gluten reaction, and it is not related to my Celiac DIsease. I have ALWAYS had issues with wine...and actually all alcohol altogether. I just cannot tolerate it. I get intolerable pain in my back (kidneys). feels like someone is giving me a huge bear hug, and then I get extremely nauseated, and dizzy. ANd this is usually after only a few sips. So I have avoided all alcohol for years. It is very sad, because I love Margaritas, but it makes me so sick. Cramping pain.

notme Experienced

lolz - wine makes me punch people in the face - HAHAHAHAAA!!!!

seriously = it does seem like it makes me 'zero' to 'oh no' since being gluten free. i stick to the redbridge..... <and even those i have a lower tolerance than i used to. (oh, well - saves me $$) :D

(it's been over a year since i dared to drink wine - last time i drank chardonnay (and not very much!) i throat-punched one of my best friends and my husband threw me over his shoulder and carried me out. i woke up in bed the next day absolutely mortified. hold the wine, please!)

• 2 weeks later...
eers03 Explorer

I enjoyed craft beers and wine prior to my diagnosis. The beer is gone but I do enjoy a glass of wine occasionally, albeit rare. A glass of red is a non issue but a glass of white throws me off a little. Nothing exaggerated but I can tell the difference.

Archived