This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

How Do You Avoid The Why Me Pity Party?

AnnJay

AnnJay Apprentice

Hi all, I'm one of the many with multiple food intolerances that arose kinda unexpectedly. Eating out and avoiding gluten is easy these days. Eating out and avoiding gluten, corn, soy, dairy, tomatoes, and chocolate is difficult. Well, difficult is probably an understatement. Eating out is best avoided.

Our family activities used to include a few things that I can no longer do...some restaurants that we loved, cooking we did together, and even something like going to the zoo has become more complicated for me as I must have food that I can eat picnic style for myself. Or the aquarium. Orthe kids museum. Or anywhere. No more baking cookies together.

Honestly, sometimes I do just want to eat a pizza! (I won't of course, as the dough, sauce, and cheese will all gang up on me!). It is just part of the mourning, I guess, for what used to be. There is a new reality for me and any slip makes me feel sick, even an unintentional slip. It seems like when I have lots of cooking time, and I live in a happy little bubble then all is good. But any kind of group activities cause anxiety. Eat at someone else's house? Let me bring my own food. Or, we design a menu together and I cross my fingers there won't be a slip with something like a spice jar or whatever. And then I'm the different one with sick guts. And when I do get sick, depression is a real component.

Sometimes, especially when feeling sick, I feel more sorry for myself than I like. These feelings do go away but they are not staying away. I mean, some people have very real problems and when I look at mine I wouldn't trade, KWIM? So I'm looking for more ways to cope with my new reality without any pity parties. What do you do?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

shadowicewolf Proficient

I raid my stash of peanut butter. :lol:

Eh, i understand ya somewhat. I can't do tomatos either and the smell sometimes... especially pizza...

In times like this, a nice big juicy apple, a big scoop of peanut butter, and a little honey help me over it. I also tell myself its just not worth it.

AnnJay Apprentice

Yeah, I also like dates with apples. I'm OK in my own kitchen. And if I always ate alone or with my immediate family that's ok too.

It's more the convenience and the community aspect of food that I miss. And it makes me wonder why I am the canary in the coal mine.

cahill Collaborator
So I'm looking for more ways to cope with my new reality without any pity parties. What do you do?

I come to these forums and vent . I have even been known to stomp my feet and pout ( on occasion ) :P

I allow my self to grieve the loss of a way of life and then embrace my new healthy way of life. I revel in my new health and well being .

Let your self grieve the loss ,it is a true loss and needs to be mourned. Then recognize the warrior in you that has brought you this far and allow that to carry you on.

Celiacs (diagnosed or not ) are among the strongest people you will ever have the privilege to know .

shadowicewolf Proficient

Yeah, I also like dates with apples. I'm OK in my own kitchen. And if I always ate alone or with my immediate family that's ok too.

It's more the convenience and the community aspect of food that I miss. And it makes me wonder why I am the canary in the coal mine.

Oh yes, this. The convenience. By far yes.

tarnalberry Community Regular

I understand - we all have those days, and it's ok to have them, and admit them. But then we have to move on and find things to replace what we are missing. Like making vegan gluten free cookies together. :)

AnnJay Apprentice

I come to these forums and vent . I have even been known to stomp my feet and pout ( on occasion ) :P

I allow my self to grieve the loss of a way of life and then embrace my new healthy way of life. I revel in my new health and well being .

Let your self grieve the loss ,it is a true loss and needs to be mourned. Then recognize the warrior in you that has brought you this far and allow that to carry you on.

Celiacs (diagnosed or not ) are among the strongest people you will ever have the privilege to know .

Love it! Just let the pout out and move on, eh? Great answer.

Sometimes I come here with the intention to vent and suddenly all I have to whine about seems like ... Well, like it is selfish or something.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

AnnJay Apprentice

Oh yes, this. The convenience. By far yes.

YES!

I'm totally OK with never again eating at McDs, or Taco Bell, etc. but I would love to be able to eat SOMEWHERE! (And avoid gluten, corn, soy, dairy, tomatoes, peppers, chocolate...)

AnnJay Apprentice

I understand - we all have those days, and it's ok to have them, and admit them. But then we have to move on and find things to replace what we are missing. Like making vegan gluten free cookies together. :)

In a moment of strength I decided to go ahead and make Toll House cookies with my kids, that I was not going to let stupid gluten intolerance interfere with family activities. And, of course, it happened. That moment when a tiny bit of batter splashed on the back of my hand and I instinctively ate it! ARGH! I had been so careful until that moment! Fortunately I did not get as sick as I was getting before. (But I do NOT see that as a sign that I can eat gluten. More like I got lucky in a round of Russian Roulette.)

Next batch of cookies was paleo. For some unknown reason they made me sick. I really don't know what happened, but the next morning I was curled up in pain and miserable. The kids didn't like them, nor my husband, so they got tossed. Sad. Do you have a go-to vegan gluten-free (corn and soy free) recipe that you could share?

Juliebove Rising Star

In a moment of strength I decided to go ahead and make Toll House cookies with my kids, that I was not going to let stupid gluten intolerance interfere with family activities. And, of course, it happened. That moment when a tiny bit of batter splashed on the back of my hand and I instinctively ate it! ARGH! I had been so careful until that moment! Fortunately I did not get as sick as I was getting before. (But I do NOT see that as a sign that I can eat gluten. More like I got lucky in a round of Russian Roulette.)

Next batch of cookies was paleo. For some unknown reason they made me sick. I really don't know what happened, but the next morning I was curled up in pain and miserable. The kids didn't like them, nor my husband, so they got tossed. Sad. Do you have a go-to vegan gluten-free (corn and soy free) recipe that you could share?

I did that with almond butter. As soon as it went into my mouth, I realized my mistake. Spit it right out and rinsed my mouth. Thankfully no problems.

I just tell myself that everyone has problems to deal with. Some of us seemingly more than others.

I don't really miss any foods any more because I know how sick they make me. But... I do really miss the ease of the old days. Being able to eat something and not have to worry about what was in it.

cahill Collaborator

your reaction still could have been from the toll house cookies , my reaction to gluten can be a long a 26 hours later

( edit to add " sorry they are not vegan ** ) If you can tolerate peanut butter ,eggs and sugar you can have the BEST cookies ever!!

.1033249144001_1751940342001_th-1728947557001.webp?pubId=1033249144001spacer.gif

Original recipe makes 1 dozen

• 1 cup peanut butter
  • 1 cup white sugar

• 1 egg
  • Directions
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C).
  • Combine ingredients and drop by teaspoonfuls on cookie sheet. Bake for 8 minutes. Let cool. Recipe doesn't make very many, so you could double recipe as you desire.

cahill Collaborator

Love it! Just let the pout out and move on, eh? Great answer.

Sometimes I come here with the intention to vent and suddenly all I have to whine about seems like ... Well, like it is selfish or something.

not selfish, self preserving big difference ♥

AnnJay Apprentice

Hey THANKS for the recipe! I'll have to try it. Egg is fine, fortunately.

I made the paleo cookies many days after the toll house were made. I ate a total of four cookies the first day and succumbed to the fetal position the next morning. About a week later I tried one cookie to see what would happen. Sick again, not as bad. I even tried one more time just to be sure. It is weird, though, because the ingredients should all be OK for me. Maybe the almond flour was too old? I just don't know anymore.

your reaction still could have been from the toll house cookies , my reaction to gluten can be a long a 26 hours later

( edit to add " sorry they are not vegan ** ) If you can tolerate peanut butter ,eggs and sugar you can have the BEST cookies ever!!

.1033249144001_1751940342001_th-1728947557001.webp?pubId=1033249144001spacer.gif

Original recipe makes 1 dozen

• 1 cup peanut butter
  • 1 cup white sugar

• 1 egg
  • Directions
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C).
  • Combine ingredients and drop by teaspoonfuls on cookie sheet. Bake for 8 minutes. Let cool. Recipe doesn't make very many, so you could double recipe as you desire.

AnnJay Apprentice

not selfish, self preserving big difference ♥

Yes. Thank you. I need to do this. In fact I will probably start a thread right now!

tarnalberry Community Regular

I don't have a particular recipe. I generally google and try. :)

Actually, if you can do eggs, it's fairly easy - find a regular recipe and replace the milk (if there is some) with a milk sub.

Archived