• Ads by Google:

Get email alerts Celiac.com E-Newsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alertsCeliac.com E-Newsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts   What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet What if my doctor won't listen to me? An Open Letter to Skeptical Health Care Practitioners Gluten-Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Help For My Sister-In-Law With Multiple Sclerosis

5 posts in this topic

Hi all,

my SIL has had MS for a few years now, and she seemed to have been doing fine with interferon.

Lately, however, she has developed rampantly high blood pressure - today it was 120-170, and has been very high for a while, she is just 33.

Has anyone here any ideas about whether high BP could be connected to MS (and/or interferon)? I have made a quick search, but it doesn't seem to be that common, and I was wondering if there was anyone here who knew more than I do.

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

IrishHeart    1,633

I do not know for sure, either (can't find it listed as a side effect) but I can tell you that my friend Suze with MS also treats herself with interferon with no blood pressure issues.

Also, my friend Elaine is treated with interferon for thrombocythemia and her blood pressure is normal.

What does her doctor think?

mushroom    1,205

No, I did what was probably the same kind of quick search you did and there does not seem to be any literature on this. My MIL had MS and always had extremely low blood pressure. Was not treated with Interferon, however. She passed on some years ago.

I'm sorry, Mushroom...

I don't really know what the doctor who treats her for MS says (we live 12,000 miles away from each other), but I spoke to my brother today, and they had gone to a cardiologist who suggests she starts a therapy for hypertension. So I was wondering if the two may be connected, but it seems that the opposite problem is more common, which is a bit weird.

mushroom    1,205

Is she on any other medication that could be creating hypertension?

Ads by Google:

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Kirsty Fitzpatrick

• Awww Jhern...I'm sorry you are feeling so bad.  (((((Hugs))))) Please ask your Dr for a full thyroid panel to get a complete picture.  That includes TSH, free T4, free T3, TPOAb and TgAb...the last 2 are antibodies.  With a TSH that high, I would feel terrible...tired and achy for sure.  Most people, including me, feel best with their TSH around 1.  Some labs show an outdated range of .5-4.5.  I would bet that you would benefit from some thyroid medication. The weight gain could be from healing and absorbing nutrients too. I hope you get some answers and start feeling better soon!
    • Yes, elevated intra-epithelial lymphocytosis is a possible indication of Celiac disease. That’s what my biopsy said. “Moderate to marked villous blunting with moderate to marked intra-epithelial lymphocytosis and marked chronic inflammation of lamina propia….characteristic for untreated celiac…” What we are finding out about these medicines is incredible. I knew that it could damage the kidneys, and can cause fluid retention. It’s good you posted here. Yes, usually the order is indeed blood tests first then biopsy, but oh well. My own thinking about autoimmunity is starting to evolve more and more to incorporate the ideas of Dr Terry Wahls, namely that there is little real difference between the various chronic diseases, that at bottom, it all comes down to cellular health. "Cells need certain nutrients in order to do their work, otherwise they begin to malfunction, even die." “When you look at chronic disease on a cellular and molecular level, we see it’s all the same disease – too much oxidative stress, inflammation, and nutrient deficiencies, toxins that are present. We see it in mental health, neurodegeneration, autoimmunity. It’s remarkably similar. Treat at the cellular level.” Dr Terry Wahls. Plumbago  
    • Magnesium and Calcium intake down combination with high sodium would lead to a form of edema where your body retains water in the joints and muscles. Try drinking more green tea, vitamin C supplements, bioflavoids, and adding a bit of lemon juice (I use the true lemon powder) to foods and beverages. http://www.progressivehealth.com/5-vitamins-to-reduce-fluid-retention.htm
          OH for low sodium seasoning look up Big Axe Spices "http://bigaxespice.com/index.html"on amazon HUGE flavor no sodium. Or if you need more selection Spicely Organics. I did find a salt free habanero hot sauce I use in cooking for a few customers of mine that is salt free >.< Might help sweat it off lol http://shop.brobrubru.com/Original-African-Hot-Pepper-Sauce-Very-Hot-000019.htm   
    • Did they check for candida? And what about your other levels? Keep a eye on your food diary, start rotating foods a bit more, see if you got a new intolerance. They seem to random come and go with me like REALLY random...last month was lettuce which is fine when I brought it back yesterday.  Anyway other thoughts, make sure your getting a bit of everything, I sometimes slip and do not get enough vitamin A, Vitamin K, lycopene, selenium, or zinc when I rotate nuts, seeds, and veggies sometimes reaching a combination that is lacking one mineral or vitamin.   I really do find those "Super Foods" that you need to up a bit for me it is oddly nutritional yeast, kale, cocoa nibs, coconut, pumpkin seeds seem to really boost how I feel.   Sometime a probiotic and enzymes are a huge help.

Might try a low carb (no fruit, grains, sugars, starchy veggies) for a week or two and There is this Candidia FX stuff on sale on Amazon that worked wonders for mine.
    • I can definately identify with this. I half-laughingly refer to myself as an 'elder orphan'.   I can't afford anything like a secret santa but would love the opportunity to exchange holiday cards with others here.  It is comforting in a way to realize that I am not the only person who is isolated but kind of sad to know that there are others in the same boat. When I talk to folks with large close extened families who endlessly complain about them I just want to slap them sometimes.
  • Upcoming Events