• Ads by Google:

Get email alerts Subscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alertsSubscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter   What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet What if my doctor won't listen to me? An Open Letter to Skeptical Health Care Practitioners Gluten-Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes
  • Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    CretanGuy

• Topics

• It might be a good idea to contact a company directly if someone feels they were glutened by an item from a company that only makes gluten free items. Save the package so you can tell them the lot number and if the company feels it to be helpful they may want you to send the remaining product to them so they can test it.
    • For instance- there is no gluten in these ingredients on the tablets - Ingredient Name
      Diphenhydramine HCl 25 mg Ingredient Purpose
      Antihistamine Inactive Ingredients
      carnauba wax, croscarmellose sodium, D&C red no. 27 aluminum lake, dibasic calcium phosphate, hypromellose, magnesium stearate, microcrystalline cellulose, polyethylene glycol, polysorbate 80, titanium dioxide Each tablet contains: calcium 20 mg
    • Dear kareng, in my original post I mentioned the Benadryl rep stated none of their formulations (tablets, capsules etc) were gluten free.  Is that helpful enough for you? (And I've already addressed above the difference between the company not wanting to make the claim of gluten free for legal reasons and definitely stating a product does have gluten; the rep stated that gluten is an ingredient).
    • Wheat provides certain nutritional elements that would need to be compensated for after going gluten free. This is especially true with commercially produced wheat containing foods because they are "fortified" with added vitamins. Does your daughter eat healthy and does she use a quality brand gluten-free multivitamin? If you live near a Costco they sell vitamins and supplements that are gluten-free. Personally, I use their Kirkland multivitamin, B complex, B12 and D3. I also take iron. Even though I am a male and eat gluten free I find I start to get anemic if I don't take the iron. Even after going gluten free many Celicacs find their assimilation of nutrients never returns to being fully normal due to leaky gut or permanent damage to the villi or whatever. There are still things that we don't fully understand about celiac disease and going gluten-free, as essential as it is, does not necessarily restore the gut to normal health. There probably is a greater likelihood of more complete healing if the disease is caught quickly and at a relatively young age. Your daughter has that in her favor. Having said all that, I would suspect the real issue is something not related to nutrition. The fact that this menses issue started soon after going gluten free may be coincidental. And I agree with what others have said. Your daughter needs to have follow-up blood work done for the Celiac antibodies and I would also think a follow-up endoscopy is in order to see what is the condition of her villi. And recommending the thyroid check is also an excellent suggestion.