This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Test Results Pointing To Early Stage Celiac?

BELMO33

BELMO33 Newbie

Just got the results of my tests. This reeks of very recent development of celiac disease to me. Any ideas? With the marginally positive IgA and somewhat high negative IgG, also note the borderline negative transglutiminas IgA at 3. Of other note all bloodwork at my general physician in Decmember was normal including RBC, hemoglobin, iron, calcium, and thyroid. I have had IBS symptoms on and off for 15 years or more, have not really noticed any glaring symptoms change in recent times. I did have a period in December of 5-7 days of pretty nasty gas and bloating but no diarrhea. In the last 3-4 days the same pattern resurfaced and now appears to once again be improving. Is this cyclical symptom pattern somewhat common in celiac? I was eating some pretty horriblly glutened foods for Xmas and the entire last 6 weeks since the first flareup and no symptoms whatsoever til the same thing came back last week.

Deamidated Gladin IgA - 20

Weak positive 20-30

Demidated Gladin IgG - 15

Negative 0-19

Transglutiminase IgA - 3

Negative 0-3

Transglutiminase IgG - <2

Negative 0-5

Endomysial Antibody IgA - 174

Normal range 91-414

C-Reactive Protein - 0.7

Normal range 0.0-4.9

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jen-1984 Apprentice

This reminds me of my blood work, only my DGP IgG is weakly pos at 24. Does your doctor have any input about the weak pos. DGP IgA? There is a poster here that has great info with the screen name Mushroom who forwarded me an article by Dr. Ford explaining deamidated gliadin peptide tests and they seem to be pretty specific for celiac disease.

BELMO33 Newbie

This reminds me of my blood work, only my DGP IgG is weakly pos at 24. Does your doctor have any input about the weak pos. DGP IgA? There is a poster here that has great info with the screen name Mushroom who forwarded me an article by Dr. Ford explaining deamidated gliadin peptide tests and they seem to be pretty specific for celiac disease.

No, didn't have the follow up yet so no specific one on one conversation. I've come across some research that shows surprisingly these are not exactly the breakdowns you want to see as a potential celiac. Although most argue a non positive EMA that falls decently within normal range means less intestinal damage and the likelihood you've caught the condition much earlier on, some think the lesser fight put up within the intestines and hence lower EMA # increases the risk of malignancies to develop. I was told by a family member who is a general practitione to wait 90-120 days and do the blood test again and see if the #s increase any, she has advised me not to go through the invasive endoscopy procedure just yet based on those #s and my otherwise normal supplementary blood work.

guest134 Apprentice

Blood tests are often difficult to interpret, with the one weak positive it makes it even more difficult. That is what sucks about Celiac, often the diagnosis is up in the air and not so clear cut.

I am not sure what you are speaking about with the Endomysial, the range you provided makes me think that you have mistaken that for your total serum IgA? There is no "falling decently in range" endomysial, and endomysial can't be "below range". It is listed as a titre, 1:5 and below is considered negative, above will be reported as positive.

The theory of a low EMA, which again does not exist, provides a greater increase of malignancy does not make sense. If you have a positive EMA it is showing damage to the intestines, the higher the titre the higher the damage, the higher the damage the greater the risk increase of malignancy. A negative EMA is a good thing.

The advice of retesting in three months sounds great, keep on top of it and make note of any symptom changes. If it provides you with any comfort I had a weak positive deamidated IgG of 11 (>10) and TTG 16 (>10) after a bout of Salmonella. I got biopsied months later in which my intestines were perfectly healthy and the next blood test 4 months after the previous was negative. Good luck!

BELMO33 Newbie

I expressed my desires about the blood test and was sort of rebuffed. Doc claims that the borderline IgA and negative EMA in no way is a guarantee the disease is recent at all, said someone with the disease for 18 years can have a 21 IgA and negative EMA while someone only having it for 18 months can have a 40 IgA and 600 EMA...no guarantee that the #s suggest duration. I countered with the normal calcium/vitamin/iron levels on the generic blood workup and he said THAT could hold some water about this being recent but still said there are plenty of patients with the illness for decades who do not suffer the iron or vitamin deficiencies.

Jen-1984 Apprentice

I also agree that doing follow up blood work would be good. I have also wanted to see what my DGP would be. There is one study I found online that claims that the dgp can sometimes be falsely pos. And fall without taking gluten out of the diet. This is where the confusion sets in because many studies also show that dgp is extremely sensitive and accurate in detection of celiac. You may want to experiment with a gluten-free diet just to see if you begin to notice any difference. I have been gluten-free for about a week now faithfully and the change is astounding. I hope I continue feeling better. I really am curious as to what next step you will take and please update us! :)

Archived