• Ads by Google:

Get email alerts Celiac.com E-Newsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alertsCeliac.com E-Newsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Medications For Depression And Anxiety

8 posts in this topic

I have just started taking a medication for depression called Sertraline. I just took the first pill a few minutes ago. My doctor thinks that they will help me deal with celiac disease better. He said that celiacs can be depressed because serotonin is produced in the intestines and since ours are horribly damaged, this might help.

I found this online:

Serotonin or 5-hydroxytryptamine is a monoamine neurotransmitter. Biochemically derived from tryptophan, serotonin is primarily found in the gastrointestinal tract, platelets, and in the central nervous system of animals including humans.

I guess his thinking may be spot on. I am just a little bit ashamed to be taking these. I am not sure why. I just have always considered myself to be a strong person and now I feel like I am not.

Does anyone have experience with these?

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

Hi there,

I've been on antidepressants and anxiety meds for about fifteen years. Don't be ashamed. Some people use them short time and some long term. If this one doesn't work for you, there are many different options. I would suggest however that you see a counselor. There is also programs that teach CBT, Cognitive Behavior Therepy. I went through the program and it changed my life.

My issues are a bit different than yours and that is why I still take meds.

Good luck to you.

Colleen

I take Zoloft which is also sertraline. I have suffered from depression and anxiety for most of my life and I have found Zoloft has really helped me. I was always really against the idea of taking antidepressants (they seemed so scary) and now I only wish I hadn't wasted so many years with that attitude. It is amazing not feeling anxious all the time. I have non-Celiac gluten intolerance and while my anxiety did dissipitate a bit over 2.5 years gluten free, it was only after a month or so on Zoloft that I felt so much better.

Don't feel ashamed to be taking them. I can relate to how you feel and I do keep it a secret from most people, but I would be honest if anyone asked me outright. I see it as a medical treatment for a real condition, depression and anxiety aren't personal failings or weaknesses.

I second the suggestion to see a counsellor. My GP said that treatment of depression with a combination of therapy and medication shows the most success and I see a clinical psychologist weekly and that has really helped too. I tried therapy in the past without medication and that didn't work for me - I think I was so depressed I couldn't take it in. But having the depression lifted by the medication and then starting therapy was a great combo.

It can be hard adjusting to SSRIs initially. In the first week I had insomnia, I kept clenching my jaw and I could not stop jittering. But those passed and googling my symptoms to read about how other people felt the same really helped me. It's also extremely important to wean off them very slowly, if you decide not to take them anymore. Stopping suddenly can (very likely) have severe side effects.

All the best to you. I hope you feel a lot better soon.

I take sertraline or Zoloft also. It helps with depression. I have been taking it long before i was diagnosed with celiacs but to me it has helped. I hope that you dont feel bad about taking it. I think that was kinda long ago when antidepressents werent commonly used. I mean i think that taking one is a sign that you are taking charge of your disease. Hope it goes well.

Kathi from KC

I take Rodiola Rosea sometimes. It is a natural herb that helps um, er, things. It makes me feel more like doing things. I took it every day for a while but ended up not being able to sleep well. I recently started taking it again but not every day. Low thyroid can also make people feel tired and depressed. Being sick most of the time can also occasionally make a person a teensy tad depressed. Hard to figure out why. After all, what's depressing about being sick? All those ding bat healthy people all smiling all the time for one thing. :)

Ads by Google:

Thanks for responding. It's nice to know that I am not suffering with this anxiety/depression alone. I didn't realize how common it was to take these meds. Hopefully in time, things will straighten out. :)

I have just started taking a medication for depression called Sertraline. I just took the first pill a few minutes ago. My doctor thinks that they will help me deal with celiac disease better. He said that celiacs can be depressed because serotonin is produced in the intestines and since ours are horribly damaged, this might help.

I found this online:

Serotonin or 5-hydroxytryptamine is a monoamine neurotransmitter. Biochemically derived from tryptophan, serotonin is primarily found in the gastrointestinal tract, platelets, and in the central nervous system of animals including humans.

I guess his thinking may be spot on. I am just a little bit ashamed to be taking these. I am not sure why. I just have always considered myself to be a strong person and now I feel like I am not.

Does anyone have experience with these?

most likely this is a chemical imbalance problem, would you be ashamed to take insulin? You can not "gut" (pun intended) your way out of either one.

My first celiac support meeting was enlightening because just about everyone was comparing which ssri they were taking and which ones did not agree with them. That was when it clicked that all us with celiac have a very common challenge with low serotonin levels due to gut damage. It is very likely that many of us require something to increase our serotonin levels

I had a very hard time with most of the newer ssri's but had almost no breaking-in period with prozac. It was a perfect fit for me and much needed relief from the terrible worry/anxiety/depression that I was constantly fighting. I hope that zoloft is that way for you.

FYI, for some of us that cannot tolerate any ssri's, some have found success with the natural supplement 5HTP, which is a serotonin precursor. Vitamin B6 in the form of P5P is also a good one for neurotransmitter health. Taken together improves chances it will have a beneficial effect.