This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Blood Tests For Children

VeggieGal

VeggieGal Contributor

So I was talking to my mum today saying how school had sent my 11 yr old son home as hes been suffering from tummy ache and D. I mentioned that because I've just been dx then I need to get him tested...her reaction "oh, don't give him it" !!..."errm mum, I can't give it him, he's either got it or he hasnt" aaaarggh, I think she thinks Im making this up!.

Anyway, so I took my son for a blood test but he got panicy and screamed and had 3 nurses try to hold him but he still wouldnt have it.

What do I do now, any suggestions?

Thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

StephanieL Enthusiast

I would have a serious talk with him about how he needs the blood test to see if gluten is the problem cause the issues. explain once he gets the test you can try and help him feel better.

Ask what he's worried about. Accept his fears and try and figure out what would help him cope better. Maybe ask the Dr or lab techs what you can do to ease his fears.

If all else fails....bribe him ;)

Good luck!

Celiac Mindwarp Community Regular

We talked before, I remember you said it would be hard. Only thing I can suggest is brief the nurses and doctor of the problem, and distraction and bribery. Where's Wally might not cut it... Maybe borrow iPod, tablet etc with favorite music or show. The nurses put my son' s arm behind him and around me, so he couldn't see it, which helped.

Good luck, it is tough, but you know it needs to be done.

frieze Community Regular

this is where the fact that i don't have children is really going to show.......if an eleven year old pulled that "*&%#" with me, there would be some serious consequences. All bets are off if there is an abuse hx, or developmental delay.

nvsmom Community Regular

If he has a true needle phobia, forcing the issue will not help a bit. Imagine having a spider phobia and being forced to allow a large spider to crawl up your arm, while three nurses hold you down ... :blink: It's not going to happen.

Buzzy is a vibrating device thatstimulates enough other nerves that when used, kids often don't feel the shot. It could help get the blood work done. Open Original Shared Link could probably use an ice cube and and vibrating hand held massager in it's place.

To do it, I think you first ice and vibrate the area wher the shot will be, and then you move it slightly to the side and continue while he gets his shot. The whole time he should face the other way.

Also, I use an antiseptic spray with (pain numbing) lidocane (sp?) called Bactine on my kids when they get hurt. If you spray it on him ahead of time, it might numb his arm so he feels less pain.

If he absolutely refuses the tests, and he might now if he's a bit traumatized after being held down for a non-lifethreatening procedure (the nurses REALLY blew that one in my opinion), all you can do is make him eat gluten-free for a few months and if he improves, keep him on the gluten-free diet for life (or at least while he lives at home ;) ).

Good luck.

VeggieGal Contributor

Thanks all for your suggestions...yes good idea I'll try bribery !

CMW ... "Maybe borrow iPod, tablet etc with favorite music or show"...... what a great idea, that just might work.

nvsmom...yes needles and blood are a phobia for him and youre right our chance may have been blown now for putting too much pressure on him. I did tell him theyd put a anaesthetic wipe on him but i didnt actually think it or a spray existed (naughty mum) so i will ask about them and the buzzy idea sounds good too.

Suppose I could try some Kalms if kids can have them.

But yes I agree, if he doesnt have the test then he's going to have to go gluten-free .

Thanks again :)

Celiac Mindwarp Community Regular

There are definitely sprays to use. Some numb, some freeze, I think. Have had both for my son in nhs . Again, maybe phone in advance to get a strategy with the nurses. Maybe they could try a different setting, e.g. GP surgery if it was hospital this time, or vice versa.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

VeggieGal Contributor

There are definitely sprays to use. Some numb, some freeze, I think. Have had both for my son in nhs . Again, maybe phone in advance to get a strategy with the nurses. Maybe they could try a different setting, e.g. GP surgery if it was hospital this time, or vice versa.

I asked about going to gp surgery as i thought it would be quieter/calmer but was told they dont do children and the hospital is more equiped for them... but they didnt try any distracting techniques or anything..infact they showed him the needle to show how small it was at the side of the one for the adults and the child who went in before Luke screamed too, so dont think that helped.

Ah well, i will try again and ask about spray etc.

Thank you, we'll get there :)

• 1 month later...
jp0p Newbie

Our son has a severe needle phobia. He screams, pulls, and kicks uncontrollably. Oh, and they show him the needle too. Why do they do that!?

Recently we learned that our provider (Mayo Clinic) has this really cool "magic cream" that they apply 30 mins before the blood draw. It's amazing stuff. He doesn't feel a thing. Ask your provider about it...

VeggieGal Contributor

hi jp0, thanks but tried it ..must admit it is very good stuff (my finger went numb just putting the cream on and washing it straight off :) )

yes why indeed do they show them the needle!? they showed him both and said "look youre having the thin small one" duh!!!

I've took him 3 times now and used the numbing cream on the last time, he sat patiently but they took ages trying to find a vein (and couldnt)..kept bringing nurses and a dr in to help but they still couldnt find one so in the end my son got nervous and we decided to wait til hes more ready for it and im trying to make him gluten free now without him realising too much. Not alot else I can do really..I think I would have been nervous the way the time they took !

Archived