• Ads by Google:

Get email alerts Subscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alertsSubscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter   What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet What if my doctor won't listen to me? An Open Letter to Skeptical Health Care Practitioners Gluten-Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes
wildeep

New - Inital Testing Question

Rate this topic

Hi, very new here.

I am interested in having my 6-year-old daughter blood-tested. She's got enough symptoms that it is just time to do it. We saw our family practice doc recently, and he didn't seem to want to do the blood test, but just told me to eliminate wheat/gluten and see if it helps. So, we took her off of wheat.

After doing more reasearch, I feel strongly that I want to just KNOW. She's been off gluten for 2 weeks, with the exception of two "accidental exposures".

I know that you have to be on gluten for the test to be accurate. Has she been off of it long enough to cause problems with the blood test? If we put her back on for the test, how long would we need to wait before doing the test?

Thanks for your help.

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

Welcome to the board!

Two weeks off is not a mountain to climb. If she has noticeable symptoms, it is likely that there will not be complete healing in two weeks. That said, I would put her back on gluten for at least two to three weeks to undo any healing that may have taken place.

Thank you for the response! I will call the doctor today and get the ball rolling...

Well she is back on gluten for 4 weeks before the blood test.  We are seeing symptoms return. :(  It is hard to feed your child something that you are pretty sure is making them sick.

Thanks again for the help.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Marcos

• Topics

• With a positive EMA and a positive tTg, that is a slam dunk for Celiac Disease.  If you read about testing results, the odds are 99% that you have it. You also had very high numbers on your testing so that adds to the diagnosis.  At this point, the biopsy, if you have it done, is to check for the amount of damage, and is not needed for a diagnosis. I declined the biopsy as I was very sick at diagnosis.  The doctor who ran my blood panel said there was no doubt I had it due to the high numbers on my blood work.  I have been gluten-free for 12 years and every single doctor I have ever seen since then, who whined about me not having the biopsy, shut up about it once they saw my initial blood work.  The difference in my health since going gluten free was nothing short of amazing. I am sure you will have the same results, once you go gluten free.
    • Bit of progress end product still contains gluten....just less of it.....I would still play it safer and just eat non wheat containing foods, and stick to my grain free diet. I honestly think they are going about this wrong, instead of altering the genes of the food that we react to....why not fix us....I money wise it seems like a bad idea for them and much more risky but they could try RNA editing where we would have to come in for constant treatments. But then again snowball chance in hell of having the that pass clinical trials.

Second point, if you remove the gluten proteins that make the bread sticky and gummy texture...you remove the aspect that makes gluten a binder in bread and why wheat is used in the first place.....might as well just make wheat flavored artificial extract.
      Like buy the new gluten free wheat flour,,,,add a gum to to make it bind up and form up....same principle just that flavor is different. Seems round about.
    • You need to get copies of your medical records & especially of the celiac blood tests. Are you sure the correct tests were done? This is why you need to get those records. Here is the current FULL celiac serum panel: Anti-Gliadin (AGA) IgA
      Anti-Gliadin (AGA) IgG
      Anti-Endomysial (EMA) IgA
      Anti-Tissue Transglutaminase (tTG) IgA
      Deamidated Gliadin Peptide (DGP) IgA and IgG
      Total Serum IgA 
      Also can be termed this way: Endomysial Antibody IgA
      Tissue Transglutaminase IgA 
      GLIADIN IgG
      GLIADIN IgA
      Total Serum IgA 
      Deamidated Gliadin Peptide (DGP) IgA and IgG If you didn't get all those tests then you didn't get the full panel. Sometimes your insurance won't allow but a couple of them for screening purposes & you have to get a GI to order the entire panel. It's not unusual for people to test negative to the screening. A number of people on here only test positive to the DGP tests. 10% of celiacs are sero negative. Call the GI every single morning & ask if there has been a cancellation so you can get seen sooner. You sure have a shipload of symptoms that fit celiac! Add your grandma's celiac diagnosis & it's more than likely you are celiac too. Yes, keep eating gluten -- I know you don't want too - HUGS --- until all testing is done & then DO give a strict gluten free diet a try for at least 6 months.
    • Many theories have been fielded about autism. Some research careers have been made by investigating autism, while other careers have been seriously damaged when that research threatened some sacred cows of allopathic medicine. Yet despite all of this active research exploring the world of autism, we continue to experience exponential increases in rates at which autism is diagnosed. And debate continues unabated regarding the causes and appropriate treatments. Part of this increasing trend is, doubtless, because we have gotten better at recognizing the various manifestations of this debilitating condition. However, the evidence indicates that there is a dramatic increase in the absolute incidence of autism. View the full article
    • Don't go gluten free until you find out if they want you to get an endoscopy which they should schedule. Eat gluten every single day until the endoscopy is done. 
  • Upcoming Events