This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten Free Tempura Rocks!

missy'smom

missy'smom Collaborator

I adapted a recipe from Japanese Family Style Recipies by Hiroko Urakami which I highly recommend. All the recipies are in English and they are all authentic and very good.

Dipping Sauce: 1 cup dashi broth: make your own Open Original Shared Link

3 Tb. gluten-free soy sauce

2 Tb. sugar

1 Tb. mirin-we use Kikkoman

Bring all ingredients to a boil in a small saucepan. Remove from burner and set aside to cool.

Tempura batter: 1 cup gluten-free flour

2 eggs, beaten

3/4 c. cold water

Mix together lightly. Usually it is advisable to leave lumps but as the gluten-free flour had starches that would be undesirable if lumpy, I carefully smushed the lumps with a whisk. it will seem too thin but is just right.

gluten-free flour: 3 parts white rice flour

2 parts potato starch

1 part tapioca

Heat the oil to 340 degrees. Dip veg etc. into batter. Fry. Drain on paper towels.

Enjoy!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sickchick Community Regular

WAHOO! I am so printing this right now!!!! :P

Next for someone to produce gluten free PANKO! :D

missy'smom Collaborator

If you can, it's fun and tastier to fry them as you eat, at the table. We hooked our fryer up to an extension cord and put it at the end of the table. You can add a dash of sesame oil to whatever oil you use, to add a bit more flavor.

When I was in Japan not long ago we ordered gluten-free bread crumbs from a company. DH liked them. They were soft, fresh bread crumbs from a rice bread that were frozen, to keep longer. His petpeeve about regular gluten-free breadcrumbs is that they are a little too hard. Next time we are planning to process fresh gluten-free bread in the food processor and freeze them for later use, instead of drying them. Not exactly panko but another approach to breading.

sickchick Community Regular

Awesome! Awesome! Awesome!

I am gonna try it thank you!!! B)

• 1 year later...
Renashia Newbie

:lol: I found this recipe for gluten-free Panko Breadcrumbs. I was going to try it for Christmas Oil Fondue.

Panko crumbs, or Japanese bread crumbs are flake-like, coarsely ground bread crumbs used to make crisp, light fried foods and crumb toppings for casseroles. Here is a very simple and incredibly delicious, light and crunchy gluten free substitute. Use this to bread fish, seafood, chicken or vegetables.

Prep Time: 5 minutes

Ingredients:

3 cups gluten free Rice Chex Cereal

Salt and pepper to taste

Preparation:

Place the Rice Chex cereal in a plastic bag. Use a rolling pin to crush the cereal to coarse flakes. Season with salt and pepper and any herb blend that you like. Use as a breading for fish, seafood, chicken, vegetables- for any recipe that requires a crisp breading

missy'smom Collaborator

Since this post came up again I'll add a note on for the tempura recipe posted above.

It is not the thick batter that is often served in many Japanese restaurants. It is a thinner, lighter one. If you prefer a thicker batter, cut back on the water. I cut it back by a 1/4 cup and found that perfect for us, but still thinner than many are used to.

The Panko substitute I mentioned above is our staple breading now and works very well with the EnerG light rice loaf of bread!

That Rice Chex is so versatile isn't it.

Wonka Apprentice
If you can, it's fun and tastier to fry them as you eat, at the table. We hooked our fryer up to an extension cord and put it at the end of the table. You can add a dash of sesame oil to whatever oil you use, to add a bit more flavor.

When I was in Japan not long ago we ordered gluten-free bread crumbs from a company. DH liked them. They were soft, fresh bread crumbs from a rice bread that were frozen, to keep longer. His petpeeve about regular gluten-free breadcrumbs is that they are a little too hard. Next time we are planning to process fresh gluten-free bread in the food processor and freeze them for later use, instead of drying them. Not exactly panko but another approach to breading.

That is what I do. I process fresh gluten free bread in the food processor and freeze. I also dry out my bread failures (and I've had a few lately in our damp weather) and process them for later use (and freeze). The dried isn't as nice as the fresh but will do in a pinch.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Wonka Apprentice
Since this post came up again I'll add a note on for the tempura recipe posted above.

It is not the thick batter that is often served in many Japanese restaurants. It is a thinner, lighter one. If you prefer a thicker batter, cut back on the water. I cut it back by a 1/4 cup and found that perfect for us, but still thinner than many are used to.

The Panko substitute I mentioned above is our staple breading now and works very well with the EnerG light rice loaf of bread!

That Rice Chex is so versatile isn't it.

Gluten Free Rice Chex has not made it's way to Canada yet. Sigh!

kenlove Rising Star

You just have to go to a health food store in Japan and get dried kabocha pumpkin flakes and purple sweet potato flakes and use instead of panko.

When I do it I don't use as much katakuri (Potato starch) and use sobako, soba flour.

Either way works great.

see ya

missy'smom Collaborator
You just have to go to a health food store in Japan and get dried kabocha pumpkin flakes and purple sweet potato flakes and use instead of panko.

Why didn't I think of that! If I had known it was that easy, I wouldn't have lived without so long! :P

Seriously though those sound good and I think I may have seen the kabocha ones in LA a few years ago. But alas, I don't have access to those either, I'll have to remember to have hubby check next time he takes a business trip to one of the major U.S. cities. We got some gluten-free tonkatsu sauce last time we were in Japan and it's almost gone now, so I told kiddo to enjoy 'cause it may be a while before we get some more. We've gotten so used to having it that I forgot that it really is a special treat. Of all the sauces and other things we bought we appreciate that the most and it's the one thing we'd be sure to get again!

kenlove Rising Star

Wow I cant remember the tonkatsu sauce. If you send me a picture of the label I'll try to find us some when I'm back there in spring. Usually I'm always there in March but may have to postpone this year as I'm supposed to work in India a few weeks.

That might be postponed given the situation there too.

the kabocha and muraski imo flakes are great tasting as well as giving purple and gold tempura.

My doctor buddy who has been studying celiac in Japan opened his own practice in Yokohama after years of hospital work.

His english is perfect too so this should help visitors while there.

take care

ken

Why didn't I think of that! If I had known it was that easy, I wouldn't have lived without so long! :P

Seriously though those sound good and I think I may have seen the kabocha ones in LA a few years ago. But alas, I don't have access to those either, I'll have to remember to have hubby check next time he takes a business trip to one of the major U.S. cities. We got some gluten-free tonkatsu sauce last time we were in Japan and it's almost gone now, so I told kiddo to enjoy 'cause it may be a while before we get some more. We've gotten so used to having it that I forgot that it really is a special treat. Of all the sauces and other things we bought we appreciate that the most and it's the one thing we'd be sure to get again!

RiceGuy Collaborator

I've read that really good Tempura also depends on having the right oil. Apparently, the Japanese use rice bran oil, which has a very high smoke point.

Lisa16 Collaborator

I have a pretty good tempura batter-- I use it for onion rings and shrimp.

You take four egg whites and beat them until they are bubbly. You add in baking soda, salt, ground ginger, ground chili (the spices are add ins) and then you start putting in the flours. I use equal parts of rice, tapioca and potato flours and I wisk them in until I like the consistency. You can always tinker with it adding water and more flour.

This batter is really light.

Thanks for the sauce recipes!

kenlove Rising Star

Some depends on the restaurant, the average place uses canola oil with a a little sesame and or peanut oil added.

Oil from the rice bran or other grains gets rather pricey for most places. I've found not as much difference in taste from oils as in the coating -- that is back when I could eat regular coatings.

ken

I've read that really good Tempura also depends on having the right oil. Apparently, the Japanese use rice bran oil, which has a very high smoke point.

Archived