This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Need Tried And True Gluten Free Apple Recipes

Guhlia

Guhlia Rising Star

My daughter's class is having an apple celebration and since she has the biggest food restrictions I will be doing the baking. I need TWO really good recipes for apple dishes. I was thinking of doing apple pies and maybe an apple cake??? I'm not sure. Also, any shortcuts like gluten free and tree nut free pie filling would be excellent. I have to have these all made by next Wednesday AND I need enough for 23 kids and probably half as many adults to taste. I'd rather have too much than not enough. Apple cookies would be good too if anyone has a recipe for that. That seems like the perfect thing to bake a day or two ahead of time leaving the day before for pie baking. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Phyllis28 Apprentice

I make crustless pumpkin tarts in single serving small foil pans I find in the grocery store. I simply make the pie filling, put them in the foil tart pans and bake. Maybe this concept could be applied to Apple tarts. The disadvantage to this is that these can not be eaten with little fingers. A fork or spoon is required.

missy'smom Collaborator

If you can use oats, I could post my apple crisp recipe. It's my old one converted to gluten-free and tastes the same as the old one.

purple Community Regular

Moist, delicious fresh apple cake that you could turn into cupcakes or even mini cupcakes or both:

Open Original Shared Link

Sweetfudge Community Regular

this is an amazing recipe! i've made it for several family functions, and everyone loves them! hard to tell they're gluten-free :)

Strudel Topped Apple Muffins:

Open Original Shared Link

celiac-mommy Collaborator

I make this as a dessert for my kids, and there's no sugar!

1 apple per kid chopped into small chunks (skin on)

sprinkle with cinnamon

(you can sprinkle w/ sugar if you want--brown would be nice, or syrup)

Microwave 3-5 minutes depending on microwave (my method for a quick dessert)

or

Bake 350 for 20-30 minutes depending on how soft you like the apples

or

simmer in saucepan to consistancy you prefer

You could totally add this to a crust that fits your dietary needs

Guhlia Rising Star

WOW! You guys are FAST! These ideas sound SO good.

If you can use oats, I could post my apple crisp recipe. It's my old one converted to gluten-free and tastes the same as the old one.

I have some gluten free oats, but I'm afraid to try them. I've subbed quinoa in place of oats in other recipes and they've turned out beautifully. If it's a simple recipe, I'd love to see it. The more recipes I can look over, the better. :)

I make this as a dessert for my kids, and there's no sugar!

1 apple per kid chopped into small chunks (skin on)

sprinkle with cinnamon

(you can sprinkle w/ sugar if you want--brown would be nice, or syrup)

Microwave 3-5 minutes depending on microwave (my method for a quick dessert)

or

Bake 350 for 20-30 minutes depending on how soft you like the apples

or

simmer in saucepan to consistancy you prefer

You could totally add this to a crust that fits your dietary needs

Do you think this would keep overnight? I have to turn in the baked goods the day before. I have no idea what the shelf life on most of these things is. I'm assuming most will need refrigeration since there will be apples in them????

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

celiac-mommy Collaborator
WOW! You guys are FAST! These ideas sound SO good.

I have some gluten free oats, but I'm afraid to try them. I've subbed quinoa in place of oats in other recipes and they've turned out beautifully. If it's a simple recipe, I'd love to see it. The more recipes I can look over, the better. :)

Do you think this would keep overnight? I have to turn in the baked goods the day before. I have no idea what the shelf life on most of these things is. I'm assuming most will need refrigeration since there will be apples in them????

It doesn't have anything perishable in it, so it should be fine. I normally don't refrigerate my apple pies.

missy'smom Collaborator

Fruit crisp topping:

1/2 c. oats(I pulse the Bob's oats a bit in the food processor because they are a bit hard, I don't find that I need to do this with the GIfts of Nature oats)

1/2 c. packed brown sugar(I prefer 1/4 c.)

1/4 c. flour ( I use 1/2 sorghum 1/2 betty hagman's featherlight)

1/4 tsp. cinnamon or nutmeg or a combination)(nutmeg gives it a little spice kick)

mix the dry ingredients together well, with a pastry blender or in a food processor, cut in or pulse

1/4 c. butter( I use mostly(3/4 part?) earthbalance and a bit(1/4 part?) of shortening for CF) until pea size crumbs form

Sprinkle topping onto chopped fruit and bake at 375 for 30 min. or until topping is cooked and lightly browned(gluten-free/CF doesn't brown as much) and fruit is bubbly.

I prefer very natural crisp so use part granny smith because that's what DS likes and part golden delicious to add natural sweetness. I add little or no sugar to the fruit depending on how much natural sweetness it has. I toss the fruit in just a bit of the featherlight mix to thicken the juices when it cooks, adjusting the amount depending on the juiciness of the fruit, if I add blueberries or cranberries to the apples, I add more. We like a nice solid layer of topping so I make extra topping and if I have more than I need I freeeze the rest for use next time or on top of muffins. I usually make 1 1/2 or double this recipe and sorry I forget how many apples because they vary in size and DS will always eat the extras if I buy too many. The original recipe says 5c. of fruit or 3 whole for this amount of topping and 1 apple = 1c. I usually buy around 6 so that sounds about right. I put it in a large pyrex casserole.

Guhlia Rising Star
Fruit crisp topping:

1/2 c. oats(I pulse the Bob's oats a bit in the food processor because they are a bit hard, I don't find that I need to do this with the GIfts of Nature oats)

1/4 tsp. cinnamon or nutmeg or a combination)(nutmeg gives it a little spice kick)

mix the dry ingredients together well, with a pastry blender or in a food processor, cut in or pulse

1/4 c. butter( I use mostly(3/4 part?) earthbalance and a bit(1/4 part?) of shortening for CF) until pea size crumbs form

Sprinkle topping onto chopped fruit and bake at 375 for 30 min. or until topping is cooked and lightly browned(gluten-free/CF doesn't brown as much) and fruit is bubbly.

I prefer very natural crisp so use part granny smith because that's what DS likes and part golden delicious to add natural sweetness. I add little or no sugar to the fruit depending on how much natural sweetness it has. I toss the fruit in just a bit of the featherlight mix to thicken the juices when it cooks, adjusting the amount depending on the juiciness of the fruit, if I add blueberries or cranberries to the apples, I add more. We like a nice solid layer of topping so I make extra topping and if I have more than I need I freeeze the rest for use next time or on top of muffins. I usually make 1 1/2 or double this recipe and sorry I forget how many apples because they vary in size and DS will always eat the extras if I buy too many. The original recipe says 5c. of fruit or 3 whole for this amount of topping and 1 apple = 1c. I usually buy around 6 so that sounds about right. I put it in a large pyrex casserole.

Wow, that looks amazing and very easy to make! How do you think it would turn out with a simple crumb topping like this: Open Original Shared Link as opposed to the oat topping? Do you think it would still be good? My mouth is watering!

missy'smom Collaborator

Many people make it with a topping that doesn't contain oats. It's basically a dutch style or crumb topped apple pie without the crust. As I try to convert old recipes I pick the ones with the smallest proportion of flour hoping for the best ;) I use no gum but with an all flour topping you might want to think about adding some gum. I don't know, mine forms the crumbs nicely and keeps them throughout baking without the gum. I would not do it with all rice flour, I would use a blend, with the starches, and personally I think the sorghum adds a bit of what is missing flavor wise with the absence of wheat flour. Any topping regardless of the recipe you use, can be made ahead of time and stored in the fridge or freezer. It's a good recipe to get the kids involved in helping with. DS has learned to peel the apples and cut in the butter with a pastry blender(I have to finish) and he gets to sprinkle the topping on. He sometimes helps measure and stir together the dry ingredients. If you're peeling and slicing a large number of apples you may want to put a bit of lemon juice in water in a large pan and put the slice apples in there to hand out while you are prepping the rest. This will prevent browning. Drain them well before topping.

I should add, it's important to use cold butter. It helps keep a nicely formed crumb when baking. Putting the topping on straight from the fridge before baking is fine too.

purple Community Regular
Fruit crisp topping:

This sounds so yummy...my dd just asked me to make some last week...so next week I will take her some...thanks!

jerseyangel Proficient

I made a simple apple crisp last night--just sliced apples sprinkled with cinnamon and topped with the crump topping Angie posted the link to. (rice flour, sugar, and butter--I subbed Smart Balance for the butter). Baked at 375 for about 40 minutes.

It was so good--my husband and I both enjoyed it.

These food threads are getting me in trouble lately! It's a new desert every day :lol:

missy'smom Collaborator

jerseyangel, it's not just for dessert! We make the crisp so simple and natural so it is a breakfast staple in our house. Before I cut out all dairy, I would eat it with yogurt.

Guhlia Rising Star
As I try to convert old recipes I pick the ones with the smallest proportion of flour hoping for the best ;)

For a flour sub I use 3 parts white rice, 2 parts potato starch, and 1 part tapioca starch. Then I add 1 teaspoon xantham gum per cup of flour. I only use Kinnikinnick brand flours because I find they are ground very finely and I get the best results using them. Quite honestly I have had maybe two recipes total fail using this flour mix (out of hundreds probably). Those were new recipes that I probably just didn't like and it wasn't as a result of the substitutions. This flour mix is VERY forgiving and I have to admit that I sometimes eyeball the proportions if I'm making a small amount. I used to be a BIG baker before we went on a diet, but I've never been a huge fruit fan, so I'm not very experienced in making fruit anything. Hence my desperation for tried and true apple recipes. I really don't want to have to make a whole bunch and try them all to see which two I'll make for real for the class. lol

Thanks again for all the suggestions. Anyone have a very simple apple cookie recipe?

missy'smom Collaborator

Thank you Guhlia for the advice and encouragement. I used to be an avid baker too. Since I like fruit, I've been making all the fruit based things I can! I've been too timid to try converting old recipes, and I have some good ones. Haven't had the heart to try many new ones and I'm just not that addicted to sugar anymore! :lol: I HAVE made it a goal to make pumpkin bread this year and may try my old recipe. I'm feeling much better this year and up to re-learning a little more.

jerseyangel Proficient
jerseyangel, it's not just for dessert! We make the crisp so simple and natural so it is a breakfast staple in our house. Before I cut out all dairy, I would eat it with yogurt.

M-m-m! I'll bet that's great for breakfast! :D

Guhlia Rising Star
Thank you Guhlia for the advice and encouragement. I used to be an avid baker too. Since I like fruit, I've been making all the fruit based things I can! I've been too timid to try converting old recipes, and I have some good ones. Haven't had the heart to try many new ones and I'm just not that addicted to sugar anymore! :lol: I HAVE made it a goal to make pumpkin bread this year and may try my old recipe. I'm feeling much better this year and up to re-learning a little more.

Baking is a passion of mine. Darn diet kind of ruined that though. lol. I've lost almost 15 lbs though, so... I guess it's worth it. All that baking got me into BIG trouble. When I was diagnosed I was suddenly able to taste food and enjoy it, so I went NUTS!!! I spent a lot of time converting recipes I found on allrecipes. I never baked much before Celiac. I was too tired to spend much time in the kitchen. Anyway, that flour mix seems to work well for anything.

Tykes Rookie

Check this out ... Open Original Shared Link

Archived