This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Ezekial Bread

silk

silk Contributor

I have been diagnosed for about a year and have done really well with very few surprise attacks in the last several months but I did something really stupid today.

I went to a local health food store this weekend and a salesperson, who although she said she did not have a gluten intolerance, followed a wheat free, gluten free diet. She spent several minutes showing me some of the newer gluten free products that they were stocking and mentioned how delicious Ezekial bread was. I asked her to show me where it was and she handed me a loaf of 100% organic sprouted grain bread. Because the label says 'flourless' right on the front of it, I bought it and here's where the stupid part comes in. I didn't read any further into the ingredients beyond the word flourless on the front label. After I had eaten two really delicious pieces of the stuff (I even had my husband taste it, commenting on how it tasted like real bread!) I read the ingredients. First one listed is sprouted wheat, followed by spelt and sprouted barley. I almost threw up right then and there.

This is the curious part. I am hypersensitive to gluten. Even a small amount makes me ill, normally, however after eating the bread, I only experienced a small amount of nausea and I think that was more from fear that I was going to get terribly it. But that was it! I did not get the stomach pain, cramping, gasiness, belching, etc. that I normally get.

Can anyone explain why? Isn't wheat wheat, no matter what form it comes in and wouldn't even the sprouts have gluten in them? I can't understand why I didn't get sick. I usually know within 1/2 hour of getting zapped because the pain is almost immediate and so far, 6 hours later, I am fine. Would really be interested to hear what you people think and if anyone has had a similar experience.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Amyleigh0007 Enthusiast

I had a similar experience around Halloween when I gave in and had some Twizzlers. I felt fine and I actually felt bad about feeling fine (if that makes sense). I was also curious as to why I did not get sick.

Around Christmas I ate a bunch of candy that I later found out had wheat gluten. I was very ill that time. I thought I was coming down with the flu. I thought it was strange that I would not get ill from the Twizzlers but I got very ill from the Reeses as both are made with wheat flour. I would also be interested in hearing what others have to say about that.

Juliebove Rising Star

The lady at my health food store who is a celiac tried to sell me such bread, telling me that when spelt or wheat is sprouted, it becomes a "living" product. Yeah... So? People are still allergic to it and I don't think it is good for celiacs. Why you didn't react to it, I don't know.

silk Contributor

chapter 2: Even though I did not get the upper GI problems, I am now experiencing some of the symptoms that I have 2-3 days after being glutened so it wasn't a 'free skate' and I wouldn't do it again. I read somewhere that because the grains are sprouted, they are easier to digest. Must be true but that does not negate all side effects.

So the million dollar question of the day is: Does anyone know of a bread on the market that is whole gluten-free grain,high in fiber, lower in carbs and/or glycemic load, does not taste like cardboard, is good for sandwiches as well as toast and does not involve my being in the kitchen all day to bake it myself? Tall order, huh?

missy'smom Collaborator
So the million dollar question of the day is: Does anyone know of a bread on the market that is whole gluten-free grain,high in fiber, lower in carbs and/or glycemic load, does not taste like cardboard, is good for sandwiches as well as toast and does not involve my being in the kitchen all day to bake it myself? Tall order, huh?

Count me in on that request!

When I had tomatoes from the garden I was baking my own but ran out of flours, didn't restock, and have abandoned it and haven't had any bread in months and months. The EnerG light rice bread has 11g of carb per slice. I know it's not great as is but I buy it and make it into french toast every once in a while and add cinnamon to the batter. No syrup on top just "butter" (Earthbalance) When I've been in the markets lately, I've read the labels on every kind of bread, bagel and roll and they're all too high in carbs. I've been playing with the idea of making these muffins with a little banana puree or apple sauce in place of the sugar. They're 15g. carb each which is good for me but I don't know if they'd spike my BG up too much.

Open Original Shared Link

Juliebove Rising Star

If you have a dehydrator, you must try this recipe!

Do not use the Nama Shoyu. It is not gluten-free. You can use gluten-free soy sauce instead or just put in a pinch of sea salt. I use the salt.

To shape, I make little squares the size of finger sandwiches.

The person who posted this looks like she did hers thin and crispy, more like a cracker. I make mine thicker and dehydrate less time so it is softer like bread.

While this is quick to mix together, it does take overnight and then some in the dehydrator. But the end result is sooo worth it. You will think you are eating a whole grain bread. It's very low in carbs and delicious.

My favorite way to serve is with Swiss nut cheese, lettuce and tomato for little sandwiches. But if you are not on a raw diet you can use other fillings.

You might be able to bake this at a low temp in the oven. I haven't tried this. But if you do it this way it will not be considered raw.

silk Contributor

Thanks so much for the recipe, Juliebove. It sounds delicious and it would not involve spending all day in the kitchen. I may try it this weekend. The sandwich in the picture almost reminded me of a pita pocket. Now if we could figure out a way to fake rye bread! I am so hungry for a reuben sandwich. Sorry, just drooled on my keyboard! :P

If you have a dehydrator, you must try this recipe!

Do not use the Nama Shoyu. It is not gluten-free. You can use gluten-free soy sauce instead or just put in a pinch of sea salt. I use the salt.

To shape, I make little squares the size of finger sandwiches.

The person who posted this looks like she did hers thin and crispy, more like a cracker. I make mine thicker and dehydrate less time so it is softer like bread.

While this is quick to mix together, it does take overnight and then some in the dehydrator. But the end result is sooo worth it. You will think you are eating a whole grain bread. It's very low in carbs and delicious.

My favorite way to serve is with Swiss nut cheese, lettuce and tomato for little sandwiches. But if you are not on a raw diet you can use other fillings.

You might be able to bake this at a low temp in the oven. I haven't tried this. But if you do it this way it will not be considered raw.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Takala Enthusiast

I would go back to the health food store and complain to the manager because that clerk is being completely irresponsible.

I make quick breads all the time using almond meal that I grind myself in a dedicated blender- I just toss in a handful of nuts and whir it for a minute and that's much cheaper than buying the almond flour. I then use this by itself ( I did what was close to the SCD diet for several years) or use half almond meal and half other alternative gluten free flours. Right now I'm experimenting with sorghum, millet, and amaranth flours, and then adding a few spoonfulls of whole clean raw sunflower seeds and a little millet. The result is very much like a 7 grain type bread. I will be experimenting further with other types of grains as I get around to it, such as quinoa, kasha buckwheat and teff, if I can find some.

I don't really measure since I can eyeball everything and it's coming out consistently, but I can approximate the recipe.

Quick nutty gluten-free bread for one 8" skillet or mini loaf

grind the almond or other nuts in the blender, set aside.

put olive oil in one small 8" cast iron heavy skillet, put on low heat until almost ready to start, will cook on medium heat

turn on oven broiler

In a bowl, beat together

1 egg

teaspoon cider vinegar

tablespoon olive oil

small glop of honey and / or molasses

(liquid. about 3 tablespoons of water, alternative nutmilks. Add a little bit of coconut milk if you have it, or yogurt if you do dairy)

In a large measuring cup, put the following to measure out to about 1 and a quarter cups of flour to 1 and a half cups of flour

1/2 cup almond nut meal

the rest of the flours being whatever you have on hand. Sorghum, amaranth, millet, or a combination of the rest, to be about 3/4 to one cup.

Add a few tablespoons of sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, whole millet, or whatever other kind of whole seed or nut you have that you like.

Add a big pinch of salt

1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon baking soda

pinch of cumin

pinch of sweet spices, such as cinnamon

Notice how there's no xanthan gum. You don't need it as long as you use almond meal and cook it this way.

Add the dry ingredients to the wet, mix well, adding more liquid to the bowl as needed to make a thick batter. Pour the batter into the pre heated pan on the stove. Pan should be hot when the batter hits it. Cook it until bubbles from the bottom up, slightly puffs up, and the bottom is done and browned- it will start to smell like roasting nuts. Take a hotmitt and place the pan under the broiler to cook the top. WATCH IT NOW, because this part goes fast- it will finish cooking in a minute or 2. To test, touch the top, should be firm, run a knife thru it, should come out clean. Pull out of oven, let cool slightly before removing from pan. Cut into 4 wedges to serve, split the wedges in half, makes 8 pie shaped triangle slices. Sturdy enough to make sandwiches.

The cast iron gives it a nice chewy crust. I have never had this type of bread flunk as long as I watched it carefully, and it cooks up quickly.

Alternative baking, put the batter in a greased mini loaf pan and bake about 45 minutes at 350

silk Contributor

Thanks again for the great recipe. It sounds yummy.

Actually I did contact the health food store, which is only one in a national small chain. The owner e-mailed me back and was very appreciative. Said that they had taken immediate measures to implement employee training for all food sensitivities and dietary issues. He asked for my address as he said he wanted to send me something to show his appreciation for contacting him and making him aware. I re-iterated to him that ultimately the responsibility was mine to check the label and that I did not hold the store or the woman responsible. That I was only trying to prevent this from happening to someone else. I also declined his offer and explained that his implementing the training was the only thanks I needed.

I found a recipe on the web last night that has 'chia' in it. It is touted as a new superfood being nutritionally complete, full of fiber and has more calcium in a serving than 5? glasses of milk. And yes, it is the stuff that they grow in chia pets. I used some as a breakfast cereal this a.m. and it was really tasty. Anyway, the bread recipe calls for several whole grains and also chia. I may try baking it and if it is good, I'll post the recipe here.

I would go back to the health food store and complain to the manager because that clerk is being completely irresponsible.

I make quick breads all the time using almond meal that I grind myself in a dedicated blender- I just toss in a handful of nuts and whir it for a minute and that's much cheaper than buying the almond flour. I then use this by itself ( I did what was close to the SCD diet for several years) or use half almond meal and half other alternative gluten free flours. Right now I'm experimenting with sorghum, millet, and amaranth flours, and then adding a few spoonfulls of whole clean raw sunflower seeds and a little millet. The result is very much like a 7 grain type bread. I will be experimenting further with other types of grains as I get around to it, such as quinoa, kasha buckwheat and teff, if I can find some.

I don't really measure since I can eyeball everything and it's coming out consistently, but I can approximate the recipe.

Quick nutty gluten-free bread for one 8" skillet or mini loaf

grind the almond or other nuts in the blender, set aside.

put olive oil in one small 8" cast iron heavy skillet, put on low heat until almost ready to start, will cook on medium heat

turn on oven broiler

In a bowl, beat together

1 egg

teaspoon cider vinegar

tablespoon olive oil

small glop of honey and / or molasses

(liquid. about 3 tablespoons of water, alternative nutmilks. Add a little bit of coconut milk if you have it, or yogurt if you do dairy)

In a large measuring cup, put the following to measure out to about 1 and a quarter cups of flour to 1 and a half cups of flour

1/2 cup almond nut meal

the rest of the flours being whatever you have on hand. Sorghum, amaranth, millet, or a combination of the rest, to be about 3/4 to one cup.

Add a few tablespoons of sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, whole millet, or whatever other kind of whole seed or nut you have that you like.

Add a big pinch of salt

1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon baking soda

pinch of cumin

pinch of sweet spices, such as cinnamon

Notice how there's no xanthan gum. You don't need it as long as you use almond meal and cook it this way.

Add the dry ingredients to the wet, mix well, adding more liquid to the bowl as needed to make a thick batter. Pour the batter into the pre heated pan on the stove. Pan should be hot when the batter hits it. Cook it until bubbles from the bottom up, slightly puffs up, and the bottom is done and browned- it will start to smell like roasting nuts. Take a hotmitt and place the pan under the broiler to cook the top. WATCH IT NOW, because this part goes fast- it will finish cooking in a minute or 2. To test, touch the top, should be firm, run a knife thru it, should come out clean. Pull out of oven, let cool slightly before removing from pan. Cut into 4 wedges to serve, split the wedges in half, makes 8 pie shaped triangle slices. Sturdy enough to make sandwiches.

The cast iron gives it a nice chewy crust. I have never had this type of bread flunk as long as I watched it carefully, and it cooks up quickly.

Alternative baking, put the batter in a greased mini loaf pan and bake about 45 minutes at 350

RiceGuy Collaborator

I actually bake with whole grain flours only - no starches, and I think they turn out pretty good. Sure, they won't win any trophies, but it's not like I'm entertaining professional food critics. Of course, I try not to be too picky.

Actually, the last couple days I've started experimenting with a new idea for making sandwich rolls, buns, and biscuits. So far so good, I think. Best onions rolls I've made yet! I'm planning on posting a recipe and method once I work out the details.

However, I only make quick-breads (no yeast), so I may leave that part up to the creative bakers on the board. Though I wouldn't think it'd make much difference to the recipe.

As for rye bread, I do that with caraway seeds, which is what gives rye bread its distinctive flavor. I like the aroma which amaranth adds to breads too, but I find it holds considerable moisture, so it seems best in relatively small amounts. The other flours seem pretty flexible as far as proportions go. Ivory teff is better for general baking than brown teff, flavor-wise. Millet and sorghum are basically interchangeable, though the flavor is somewhat different.

silk Contributor

Eurika! I do believe I have found a more than passable multi-grain, gluten free, dairy free bread at the health food store. I ventured back this evening for my favorite pasta (glutano tagliatelle). The store can't keep it on the shelves because it sells so fast so I stocked up.

I wandered over to the frozen food case where they keep the gluten-free breads. I wasn't really interested in the 'food for life' brands because they are really pretty high in carbs and calories and well, they're one of the reasons we're having this conversation right now. I spied a loaf of multi grain bread on the top shelf and pulled it down. It is called 'Sport'. Don't ask me why unless it is because the grains in it will make a runner out of you after you digest it. :D It's made by a company called Garbo and it is wheat free and dairy free. Has only 13 grams of carbs per slice, which is not horrible, and 2.1 grams of fiber per slice. And it is awesome! It's pretty spendy. About $6.00 per loaf but isn't it amazing how quickly we can justify spending that $6.00 to find something that tastes like the 'real deal'?

For those of you who can't find it in your area:

Garbo Gluten Free USA web address info@garbofood.com

RiceGuy Collaborator
Garbo Gluten Free USA web address info@garbofood.com

Actually, that isn't the company's site. But I found it: Open Original Shared Link

Their site doesn't have the ingredients listed. Can you post it?

silk Contributor
Actually, that isn't the company's site. But I found it: Open Original Shared Link

Their site doesn't have the ingredients listed. Can you post it?

I'm so sorry. The wrapper was kind of a flimsy thing so I tossed it in favor of a zip lock that I could 'suck' the air out of with a straw and re-freeze. This seems to help a lot with freshness, but unfortunately, I no longer have the info. It is wonderful bread though and I will definitely be making a return trip for more so hopefully I can get that to you soon. Made a reuben on it yesterday and oh my, my tastebuds were happy! Also, it has so much more flavor than the EnerG tapioca light, and not too much more in the way of carbs, and definitely more in the way of fiber, so I doubt that I will be purchasing that brand again. Anyone want the other two loaves of tapioca that I have in the freezer?

Archived