This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Pao De Queijo

Roda

Roda Rising Star

After searching many recipes for pao de queijo I decided on the one in the link below. My reason was that in some of the other recipes, the reviews were alright but critics would say that the liquid amounts were off. This one was the recipe that I tried that would not yeild a gigantic batch, but was easily doubled. I also wanted to make my own for cost effectiveness. I looked into the Chebe mixes, but alas went for it from scratch. It was not hard to make at all, it had a crispy light crust, and a chewy inside. I thought I died and went to heaven. :lol: This was soooo good. My husband loved them too he thought they tasted like the bread you make for pepperoni balls. So next time I'll have to experiment with that. I got 24 paes out of it. Enjoy :)

Open Original Shared Link

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

SBisglutenfree Rookie

Thanks for the recipe. It sounds yummy. I'm planning to make them tonight.

maile Newbie

yeah! a recipe for these....I LOVE these, I buy them locally in various flavours but they are expensive!

thanks for posting the link :)

Roda Rising Star

Well I made these again and they were still good. I had them with homemade spagetti and meatballs. The Tinkyada rice noodles were gross though. It kinda dampened the whole dinner. But the bread saved the day. I just opened it up in half and popped a meatball and some sauce in the middle and wow, that was good. So I decided to try it as a pizza crust last night. It baked up well, but when I put the toppings on and put it back in the oven it got soggy like and the cheese was all settled. The outside edge was the same though. I think I may try elimiting the cheese and try it for a pizza crust again. I'll post when I decide to experiment again.

• 1 month later...
lonewolf Collaborator

Here is a much simpler recipe - it doesn't require heating the milk or anything and goes together in just a few minutes. I usually make a bigger batch (2 C flour and 4 eggs and adjust everything else too).

Brazilian Cheese Rolls

1-1/3 C Tapioca Flour

1-1/3 C grated cheese (or 1 C Sheep Milk Romano)

3 Eggs

2-4 tsp. Milk

2 tsp. Olive oil

2 tsp.baking powder

1/2 tsp. salt

pepper - a few shakes

Mix ingredients together well. It's okay to use your hands! You might have to add more milk or flour, depending on humidity, size of eggs and who knows what other factors. The dough should be like slightly moist cookie dough. You can refrigerate the dough at this point if you need to. (Sometimes it makes it easier to work with.) Divide into 9 equal sized balls, place on cookie sheet. Bake at about 375 for about 15 minutes.

Jestgar Rising Star

Liz, is the texture the same? I sort of imagine that the hot milk was pre-cooking the tapioca or something.

lonewolf Collaborator
Liz, is the texture the same? I sort of imagine that the hot milk was pre-cooking the tapioca or something.

I think the texture is a little better - less dense and chewy in the middle. Although they are still chewy. I only made the "other" recipe once and everyone liked the taste, but wasn't thrilled with the texture. Perhaps I wasn't good at making them though.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Wonka Apprentice

This is the recipe I was given from a Brazilian woman.

Brazilian Little Cheese Bread

1/2 cup milk

1/4 cup olive oil (or other veggie oil, I used canola)

1 egg

1 cup tapioca starch

2 T shredded parmiggiano cheese (I used Mex fresh cheese,a little more than 1/4 cup)

pinch of salt

fleur de sel & rosemary

Put in a blender the milk, oil, egg, tapioca starch, cheese and salt. Blend very well until all the tapioca starch is incorporated.

POur the batter in ungreased mini muffin tins, filling only 3/4 of the way - sprinkle a little fleur de sel on top and some fresh rosemary leaves. (these are optional, I've made them plain, it works too)

Bake in a 400F oven for a maximum of 20 minutes.

(I like mine a little under baked, so that they are moist inside, but they turn out good if you bake longer)

Makes 24 little breads, that tend to disappear very quickly

• 1 year later...
Roda Rising Star

My husbands father and stepmother were here for a visit and she is originally from Brazil. I made these for dinner the other night and they were a big hit. She even said they tasted just like she used to get in Brazil. I took this as a really big complement! ;) She really doesn't have the space at her apartment in NYC to do much cooking, but wanted the recipe to make at their home in CT. She cooked us dinner the other night too and it was fab. She crushed garlic, kosher salt and pepper in the mortar and then marinated chicken thighs in it for several hours. She wrapped them in bacon and roasted it on a pan with chick peas topped with fresh parsley, garlic, onion and tomato. The flavor from the chicken and bacon (yes fat) in the beans was out of this world. :wub: We had them with rice that she cooked with garlic and onion. This is something special she makes for us once a year when she visits.

miles2go Contributor

Also, khachapuri, yum.

Roda Rising Star

Also, khachapuri, yum.

I looked it up and it does look good. Can you make it gluten free?

Archived