This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Toasted Millet Pilaf

sickchick

sickchick Community Regular

Well guys I am now "rice" intolerant..and I bought 2 pounds of millet HAHA B)

Toasted Millet Pilaf

Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Soy Free, Nightshade Free, Rice Free

1/2 red onion, diced

1 cup sliced wild mushrooms

1 cup organic millet

2 tb almond slivers

2 tb minced parsley

1 clove fresh garlic, minced

4 cups organic chicken stock

olive oil for sauteeing

kosher or sea salt to taste

In a dry 8" fry pan, pour millet, and put on medium heat. Shake millet around to

toast evenly and keep from burning, for about 5-10 minutes, until you get a nice

fragrance and the millet is slightly toasted. Set on cool burner.

In a small pan (with lid) pour in a little olive oil, heat on medium, and add red onions and mushrooms when hot. Cook for 10 minutes. Add parsley, stir around, add garlic, stir around. Then add stock, heat to boil and add almond slivers and toasted millet.

Check seasoning and add salt if necessary.

Cover and cook 40-45 minutes.

Serves 4.

Enjoy!:)

lovelove

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Takala Enthusiast

I am not rice intolerant but have been using a 3 way mixture of amaranth, sorghum, and millet flour in a lot of baking experiments, and getting nice results, especially if mixed with some almond meal and another "white" starch such as cornstarch or potato or tapioca. I'm using oil instead of butter. Makes a quick bread that tastes whole-grain like, especially if some honey or agave is added for sweetener. It works perfectly in the small cast iron skillet but the last loaf pan came out ever so slightly crumbly without dairy, so I'm going to try tweaking it just a little more.

I'm not sure what will happen if I add flax meal, as I don't do well with flax oil and have been hesitant to experiment unless I have somebody else to feed the results to.

Can you do eggs, I think, from your signature?

COOL!

I just bought Sorghum flour 3 days ago for experimenting! :) I have 2 bags of flax in my freezer, I can't have potato but I can have tapioca & cornstarch!

I have been looking for a quickbread recipe, actually, would you mind sharing yours with me, Takala?

B)

many many thanks Doll...

(I just noticed I have been spellling Sorghum wrong HAHAHA) :D whoops

lovelove

kenlove Rising Star

yumm yumm yumm

as soon as I get the blood sugar back down where I can have any carbs -- this is on top of the list.

the 3 japanese milets are all different sizes.. guess I should translate the carbs on the label.

maybe you just have to visit japan or hawaii and pick up some of this stuff!

COOL!

I just bought Sorghum flour 3 days ago for experimenting! :) I have 2 bags of flax in my freezer, I can't have potato but I can have tapioca & cornstarch!

I have been looking for a quickbread recipe, actually, would you mind sharing yours with me, Takala?

B)

many many thanks Doll...

(I just noticed I have been spellling Sorghum wrong HAHAHA) :D whoops

lovelove

yumm yumm yumm

as soon as I get the blood sugar back down where I can have any carbs -- this is on top of the list.

the 3 japanese milets are all different sizes.. guess I should translate the carbs on the label.

maybe you just have to visit japan or hawaii and pick up some of this stuff!

Are you doing ok with all these new dietary restrictions with your Diabetes, Ken? :)

Takala Enthusiast

This recipe is a work in progress :rolleyes:

Gluten Free Quick Bread, whole grain style no rice, no dairy no soy

pan. loaf. 4" x 8", oiled with olive oil. oven 350

kenlove Rising Star

Not really -- its only been 2 weeks and i'm still unable to get myself balanced to where I can stop passing out and have at least a little energy to accomplish something. Been limiting myself to steamed veggies dipped in mustards. ( really is yummy) and soups I make. no carbs at all.

i am looking forward to trying new things once I can get beyond this current thing. Much harder to deal with than I would have thought.

Thanks much -- and I was serious if you want to email me an address. Some of these things I will not be able to have for a long time

if at all and I'm sure you would like playing with the nuka, awa and konnyaku.. that is if I explain them <G>

Are you doing ok with all these new dietary restrictions with your Diabetes, Ken? :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

This recipe is a work in progress :rolleyes:

Gluten Free Quick Bread, whole grain style no rice, no dairy no soy

pan. loaf. 4" x 8", oiled with olive oil. oven 350

kenlove Rising Star

Suspect Margy is handling things better than I am. She broke both sides of her ankle early in the year so I had to wait on her -- all in all I prefer that than to have to be waited on!

Do have to take insulin pills now -- they are still playing with types and mg. as well as once or twice a day.

Just cant find the balance so the other symptoms go away.

Did make a great dinner tonight. steamed fresh beet greens & stems, gold beets with a few turnips.

a few chopped pea pods, bok choy and drizzled in a miso garlic sauce.. I can still eat miso and garlic!.

1 gram of carb in the miso and that was it.

need to see how nutso my glucose goes tonight.

take care

------------------------------

OH NO, Ken! I hate passing out! Your poor wife- she must me sick about all this!

Do you have to take insulin? Or just dietary restrictions?

I hope you can eat more substantial food very very soon. B)

Thank you Ken for the offer- you take care of yourself right now-

:)

Wonka Apprentice
I can't have potato but I can have tapioca & cornstarch!

Hey Sickchick,

Thanks for the great sounding recipe. I too am nightshade intolerant and I sub arrowroot flour in when potato flour is in a recipe. I also sub sorghum for rice flour regularly (I just like the taste better, so far not rice intolerant. I'm gluten, dairy, legume, nightshade and carregeenan intolerant that I know of so far).

Roda Rising Star

I tried this tonight. I did like the flavor of this but was not fond of the consistency. I like the millet less creamy. I like it drier and more firm. I guess I could cut back on the broth.

Try halfing the liquid and cooking it @ shorter time? :)

Thanks for being a trooper though~ :lol:

Wonka carageenan is the devil isn't it? LOL!! :ph34r: it does worse things to my body than dairy! :lol:

Ken....I love beets- I oven roast them on sheet pan w a teeeny bit of olive oil and salt.

lovelove :)

Archived