This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I Get Sick After Everything I Eat

kaki-clam

kaki-clam Enthusiast

I have been free for one week, it doesn't matter what i eat, from plain gluten free bread to super yummy glutenless tacos...i get sick 30-45 minutes after eating. In the last two days i have eaten only half a can of soup..I am starving but the pain is not worth eating...when will this stop?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Welda Johnson Newbie

Hi,

I just sent you a response for your first post, then saw this one. I've had celiac since age 8, so I've had many years to identify the foods that bother me. Wheat, oats, barley, rye, of course--that's celiac. But I'm also intolerant of all milk & dairy products and anything with casein or whey, which are milk derivatives. I learned this the hard way, trying soy cheese, but it contained casein and whey. Also egg whites, yeast, msg, maltodextrin and modified food starch. It took a lot of reading of ingredient labels and searching to discover my own particular intolerances, but it has certainly been well-worth it. Having celiac flattens those little hairs in your stomach (villi) that make it possible to absorb nutrients, so it makes sense that as damaged as our stomachs are, we might be unable to tolerate other foods as well.

I want to reassure you that once you start to focus seriously on the foods you eat, you will begin to quickly discover the foods and additives that cause you distress. The more foods I have eliminated, the more sensitive my system has become, but that's alright, because I am healing. Now I look at the diet as a challenge to create new food combinations with the meats, fruits & vegetables that I CAN eat, and focus on new ways to prepare and combine those foods, as well as spices, seasonings, herbs and condiments that will enhance their flavor.

I think it is good for those of us who have had celiac for a long time, to connect with newly-diagnosed celiacs such as you, because after reading your post I feel so grateful to be this far on the journey of getting well. I think knowing that my body speaks to me loudly and clearly is one of the most fortunate side-effects of celiac. I just have to learn to listen. Many of us have grown up taking care of others but never learning to take care of ourselves. Having celiac means we HAVE to take good care of ourselves first, or we will be in no shape to help anyone else. Again, best wishes as you take one day at a time to learn more about yourself. We are here for you! welda@att.net

JillianLindsay Enthusiast

Welcome to the forum & sorry you are feeling unwell. When I first started on the gluten-free diet I felt amazing for a week or so, then took a downhill dive and felt even worse than before I changed my diet! We do go through gluten withdrawal when we stop eating it and our bodies are still healing and a lot of things can make us sick, even if they are gluten-free because our stomach and small bowel are damaged.

Be patient with your body while it heals. Make sure that you are eating 100% gluten-free (with no cross-contamination... i.e. have you bought a new toaster?). It sounds like you are eating a lot of processed foods (gluten-free marketed foods that aren't natural as well as condensed soups). You might feel better if you focus on a 100% natural diet for a little while. Eat plain meats (very lightly seasoned with pepper or something easy on the stomach at first), fresh raw veggies, and brown rice or potatoes. Then you can slowly add things back in as you start to feel better.

Are you taking supplements? Taking vitamins if you have deficiencies (which most celiacs do) will help you feel better too. You need to eat to keep your body strong so it can heal, but you need to eat foods that won't irritate your stomach. Avoid heavy milk/cream (some people avoid dairy altogether, as was mentioned), avoid acidic foods (tomatoes, apple juice, etc.). I had to avoid coffee for the past two months and am just now starting to slowly add it back in to my morning routine.

Everyone heals at a different rate (from a couple weeks to six months to a year) so unfortunately you just have to be patient. The good news is that it does get better :)

Good luck & keep us up to date on your progress!

Jillian

I have been free for one week, it doesn't matter what i eat, from plain gluten free bread to super yummy glutenless tacos...i get sick 30-45 minutes after eating. In the last two days i have eaten only half a can of soup..I am starving but the pain is not worth eating...when will this stop?
seashele2 Newbie

It will take more than one week of a completely gluten-free diet before you are feeling better. It takes the damaged villi in your small intestine 6-8 weeks minimum to heal from celiac damage. Many celiacs, like me, take several months before they are healed and unfortunaately some never do completely heal. My uncle is one of those.

Don't give up and consume gluten because you don't think it matters since you are already feeling sick. Each gluten consumption will delay healigng that much longer.

Good luck to you in your recovery time. Hopefully you will be at the 6 week time frame, not the several months or never time frame.

Michelle

Western Washington State

VioletBlue Contributor

Everyone so far has given good advice. It does take time.

I would add to be sure to read every label and become familiar with what you are looking for. Many canned soups for instance contain gluten as a thickening agent, not to mention those with noodles in them, which are of course wheat noodles.

It will take more than one week of a completely gluten-free diet before you are feeling better. It takes the damaged villi in your small intestine 6-8 weeks minimum to heal from celiac damage. Many celiacs, like me, take several months before they are healed and unfortunaately some never do completely heal. My uncle is one of those.

Don't give up and consume gluten because you don't think it matters since you are already feeling sick. Each gluten consumption will delay healigng that much longer.

Good luck to you in your recovery time. Hopefully you will be at the 6 week time frame, not the several months or never time frame.

Michelle

Western Washington State

kaki-clam Enthusiast

i have been very careful about the canned foods i eat, the soup specially stated gluten free on the label. Mostly i do all my own cooking just to be sure....i am having the worst time with this.....thank god for this forum....i would be lost without all of your help and support!!

ang1e0251 Contributor

I would back up the info on eating processed foods like gluten-free bread and mixes. They often contain small amounts of gluten even though they are labeled gluten-free. I always recommend a very simple whole food diet for newbies. It's easy on your damaged system which can react to everything you eat just out of spite, in the beginning. After you are feeling better and have mastered the cooking and shopping for whole foods, maybe a month, then add new foods. But only one food at a time every few days. That way you can easily see what, if anything else, bothers you.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

StephanieM Newbie

Well put eveyone! I ditto everything that was said.. Focus on fresh fruits and veggies, meats, eggs.. etc.. take out the processed/canned foods for awhile..

It takes time, put perseverance will do you well!

Steph

• 1 month later...
tangerinecaro Newbie

I'm only three days in and I feel awful! And BROKE!

Are you feeling any better yet?

Askegaard Newbie
Welcome to the forum & sorry you are feeling unwell. When I first started on the gluten-free diet I felt amazing for a week or so, then took a downhill dive and felt even worse than before I changed my diet! We do go through gluten withdrawal when we stop eating it and our bodies are still healing and a lot of things can make us sick, even if they are gluten-free because our stomach and small bowel are damaged.

Be patient with your body while it heals. Make sure that you are eating 100% gluten-free (with no cross-contamination... i.e. have you bought a new toaster?). It sounds like you are eating a lot of processed foods (gluten-free marketed foods that aren't natural as well as condensed soups). You might feel better if you focus on a 100% natural diet for a little while. Eat plain meats (very lightly seasoned with pepper or something easy on the stomach at first), fresh raw veggies, and brown rice or potatoes. Then you can slowly add things back in as you start to feel better.

Are you taking supplements? Taking vitamins if you have deficiencies (which most celiacs do) will help you feel better too. You need to eat to keep your body strong so it can heal, but you need to eat foods that won't irritate your stomach. Avoid heavy milk/cream (some people avoid dairy altogether, as was mentioned), avoid acidic foods (tomatoes, apple juice, etc.). I had to avoid coffee for the past two months and am just now starting to slowly add it back in to my morning routine.

Everyone heals at a different rate (from a couple weeks to six months to a year) so unfortunately you just have to be patient. The good news is that it does get better :)

Good luck & keep us up to date on your progress!

Jillian

Thank you for this info. I am on the third week of my new gluten free diet. This week has been the toughest. I started feeling great the first week then like you said took a down hill drive. I didn't know what was going on or what else I might be reacting to. I have been dairy free for 8 years now so am quite used to reading every label. Thank you for lifting my spirits again that this will get better. (I used to eat wheat just about every meal)

Kate

Archived