This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Just Ate A Real Sandwich! Udi Bread

Ahorsesoul

Ahorsesoul Enthusiast

I will say I didn't think I missed sandwiches. I never was a fan of them before giving up gluten.

I am in heaven. I just ate a sandwich with lunch meat and cheese on that wonderful white Udi bread. I am in love!

I've also been just grabbing a slice of it plain for a snack. Bad Bad Bad habit. This is the first gluten free bread that tastes good without heating. Maybe I'll go make some toast. Will have to be sure it's good warm. With cinnamon and sugar.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ohsotired Enthusiast

Good to know! I tried their blueberry muffins and they were to die for! I had wondered about the bread.

Thanks for posting!

Dada2hapas Rookie

I love UDI's bread. Both the white and the "whole grain" version. I have to lock it up, as my non-gluten free wife and kids would eat it all for me. ;)

KathyBHI Newbie
I love UDI's bread. Both the white and the "whole grain" version. I have to lock it up, as my non-gluten free wife and kids would eat it all for me. ;)

I am new to this. My daughter was just diagnosed this week. What is UDI and how can I get that brand?

Jenny (AZ via TX) Enthusiast

I am still trying to get this bread. I was told via email from Whole Foods that I could special order this. So I did last Thursday. I called to see if it was in and they had no record that I had ordered it. So I decided to call a different Whole Foods which is actually closer to me. The girl I spoke to was very nice and took my order. She called me back to say she couldn't order it. I told her about my email from corporate and she said she would check with her coordinator. I'm hoping they will do this. I really want this bread and am excited to try it. Everyone seems to love it. Thinking good thoughts!!

ohsotired Enthusiast

If Whole Foods can't (or won't) get it for you, you can order direct.

Open Original Shared Link

Ahorsesoul Enthusiast

I've eaten more sandwiches this week than in my whole life. I'll be out of bread by the weekend and I doubt if the store has any more this soon. I'm ordering some tomorrow! Have yet to try anything but the white.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Raven's Mum Newbie

OMG. We SO have to get some of this! Bread is the only thing we're really having issues with switching to this diet. My son and I would actually like to switch as well, just because we are both stressing about our crumbs from our bread becoming a cross contamination issue for Raven. :( I just can't choke down the Kinnikinnick. lol

Ahorsesoul Enthusiast
OMG. We SO have to get some of this! Bread is the only thing we're really having issues with switching to this diet. My son and I would actually like to switch as well, just because we are both stressing about our crumbs from our bread becoming a cross contamination issue for Raven. :( I just can't choke down the Kinnikinnick. lol

I think going to a gluten free kitchen it a good way to go. It is not like going gluten free is bad for anyone. It certainly won't hurt and you might see improvements in health and mind.

I can't get Kinnikinnick bread down either. The only other bread that I can eat is Glutino's Flax seed bread. Only if it's toasted. It's still not real bread tasting but it does ok in a pinch. But now that I've tried Udi I'll probably toss the Flax seed.

Raven's Mum Newbie

I was actually just in the store yesterday staring in the freezer at the Glutino bread wondering if it was worth spending my money on and whether Raven would actually eat it. <_< I left the store without it! lol The only one she's liked so far is the Kinnikinnick was the raisin one. Although, she seems to not mind the others if I make grill cheese with it. I hate that I haven't been able to make her any peanut butter sandwhiches though as with having CF, she supposed to be on a high protein diet and it is SO hard to get her to eat any meat! Peanut butter sandwhiches were sort of our ''back up'' bedtime snack to get some protein into her if she didn't eat her meat at supper. :(

mamies8 Newbie

Udi's is the best! The bread makes an wonderful grilled cheese sandwich on the skillet. My mother in law actually prefers it over her regular bread:)

Ahorsesoul Enthusiast

I made a run to pick up more bread a few days ago. I went ahead and grabbed one of the Udi's Whole Grain Bread loaves. Also excellent. I used it to make Patty Melts and Monte Cristo Sandwiches this weekend. Hmmm, Patty Melts think that's what I'll have for lunch today using the ends of the loaf since that's all that's left.

Frances03 Enthusiast

sounds really good. I can't wait til we move so I can buy some and try it. They dont have any here.

WW340 Rookie

I have also been on a sandwich binge since finding this bread. I love both kinds. My problem is that I can never find more than one loaf at a time. I asked the store if they only put out one loaf at a time, because that is all I ever see. Well, actually a lot of the time they are out completely.

Now that I know I love it, I may just have to try ordering it directly.

Jenny (AZ via TX) Enthusiast

I finally got to try this bread and all I can say is pure heaven! I ate the first slice plain, nothing on it and not toasted. Absolutely wonderful. I don't think I will be able to eat any of the other gluten-free breads again.

I still can't get it in Arizona yet but was lucky that my husband had a business trip with a layover in Austin. My niece who lives in Austin, met him at the airport with four loaves of bread. My husband lugged that bread around with him even though his boss was with him. He took very good care of it.

Sadly, I don't think they'll last very long. I've been thinking of everything I want to make, like cinnamon toast, grilled cheese and PB&J. This bread actually has less calories and fat than the bread I was eating so not only does it taste great, it's better for me! :D

Again, I want to thank all of you for mentioning this bread.

elle's mom Contributor

I just wanted to chime in about Udi's bread. We're on our third case, it is absolutely wonderful. The whole grain is as good as the white, and both are as good/if not better than regular bread. The blueberry muffins "taste like gluten" according to my 6yo, they were gobbled up in one sitting for breakfast. We used up the last of our Kinnik brand bread on French toast (which was really good-the denser actually worked great for it), but sorry I don't think we'll be reordering after trying Udi's. I ordered it direct (despite high shipping costs), luckily we have an extra freezer to keep a large backstock, it's really awesome!!

minniejack Contributor

For those of you out there who refuse to pay the shipping or can't find the product around here. Here is a great copycat of Against The Grain Gourmet. Check out this link, from the baking section on this forum, for a recipe that is really, really easy and tasty. Makes great rolls.

https://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/index.php?showtopic=60125

And I used the recipe from her blog.

Archived