This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Best Mixes

momxyz

momxyz Contributor

hi everyone,

first thanks for previous responses to my posts about making Christmas cookies and a crust for my tart recipe. I have tomorrow off and am making a minor expedition for gluten free seasonal baking supplies. Still haven't tried the Carrot - leek tart recipe yet, and its my mission to do that this weekend, along with trying a batch of press cookies!

I have copious notes from all your suggestions but due to limited time for experimentation have decided to go the route of prepared mixes.

My intent is to substitute a flour mix for the flour called for in my cookie recipes...

Folks have advocated Better Batter and Nearly Normal all purpose flour. I haven't seen these in my local health food store, so I am hoping Whole Foods in Portland carries one of these.

Anybody had success with other prepared mixes as a direct substitute for flour in a recipe?

My local place has just started carrying Namaste Biscuit mix, and the package has a recipe for a pie crust. We've had good luck with Namaste pizza crust mix so I am tempted to try this. Any comments or other recommendations?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

celiac-mommy Collaborator

I use Pamela's pancake and baking mix for everything except for yeast doughs. It already has xanthan gum, salt, baking powder and soda it it so I eliminate all of that in the recipe. Also, it has almond flour in it which acts as a fat, so I decrease the amount of butter or oil suggested in the recipe by 2/3. We love it!!

Frances03 Enthusiast

I have a box from whole foods called all purpose baking mix, whole foods brand which is 365 everday value. it contains white rice flour, potato starch, tapioca starch, guar gum and salt. it's manufactuered in a 100% gluten free facililty. I'm about to try it to make cornbread with!

Puddy Explorer

I've had good luck with Gluten Free Pantry flour mix. I purchase it on-line so I don't have to worry about any stores carrying it. I used it for all my Christmas cookie recipes last year with no problem. Makes great Chocolate Chip cookies, too!

homemaker Enthusiast

I like Jules Flour for everything..But with my yeast breads I only use about 1 cup of Jules and add other flours...with a little extra xanthan gum....Even better there is NO grit with JULES flour and it makes fantastic pastry crust...AND pound for pound the cost is cheaper if you buy in bulk with free shipping. You can also order a sample size to check it out....it is $19.95 for 5 lbs of gluten-free Flour and when you calculate what you pay for an itty bitty 2lb box at the health food store...it really ends up being a good value.

For yeast breads I make my own combination in a recipe of Sorghum, Sweet Rice Flour and Jules....

I order it online at 6-5lb bags with a shelf life of 15 months and free shipping

momxyz Contributor

thanks everybody!!

didn't end up shopping today as it was a really nice day to do stuff outdoors with hubby... So Saturday it is. I have my list of all your suggestions....

I hear the theme of saving money by ordering online versus retail. But, I like to try a product first before I go that route,so I will be supporting the local economy, checking out my nearby healthfood store, and then heading up to Whole foods....

Once I figure out which product best suits my recipes, I may go the online route. I also can order things through a coworker who participates in a food coop.

BTW, Homemaker, I see you are also from Maine! What region?

Happy baking everyone!

homemaker Enthusiast
thanks everybody!!

didn't end up shopping today as it was a really nice day to do stuff outdoors with hubby... So Saturday it is. I have my list of all your suggestions....

I hear the theme of saving money by ordering online versus retail. But, I like to try a product first before I go that route,so I will be supporting the local economy, checking out my nearby healthfood store, and then heading up to Whole foods....

Once I figure out which product best suits my recipes, I may go the online route. I also can order things through a coworker who participates in a food coop.

BTW, Homemaker, I see you are also from Maine! What region?

Happy baking everyone!

wow another Mainer...I am a few miles south of Bangor...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

momxyz Contributor
wow another Mainer...I am a few miles south of Bangor...

I'm from Scarborough... I believe there are other forum members from the Bangor area!

DMarie Apprentice

You can actually mix up Jules gluten-free Flour Mix. I have the recipe at home. I found it posted with a biscuit recipe of hers a while back. This was before she was mixing her all purpose flour mix and selling commercially. I haven't done a cost comparison to know if it comes out cheaper than buying her mix online. I tend to avoid corn starch - so I don't use her mix (or I sub arrowroot). I keep Annalise Roberts Brown Rice flour mixed up in a big container though - and that one is my all purpose flour mix.

I can post either of those mixes if you like.

homemaker Enthusiast
You can actually mix up Jules gluten-free Flour Mix. I have the recipe at home. I found it posted with a biscuit recipe of hers a while back. This was before she was mixing her all purpose flour mix and selling commercially. I haven't done a cost comparison to know if it comes out cheaper than buying her mix online. I tend to avoid corn starch - so I don't use her mix (or I sub arrowroot). I keep Annalise Roberts Brown Rice flour mixed up in a big container though - and that one is my all purpose flour mix.

I can post either of those mixes if you like.

Oh my ...yes I would love for you to post the flour mix..(jules)....

I have found that I like her flour for some things...only Great for Gravies Pie Crust etc...

but I love her flour in my flour blends that I make up for myself with Brown Rice Flour and White Rice Flour

I also add a cup of her flour to my yeast bread recipe...but using her flour straight up...I have only had luck with certain recipes

There is something in there that pulls my flour blends together ...and adds better texture to my yeast breads

Thanks ...if you could post that recipe that would be great...

DMarie Apprentice
Oh my ...yes I would love for you to post the flour mix..(jules)....

There is something in there that pulls my flour blends together ...and adds better texture to my yeast breads.

This is from her book, "Nearly Normal Cooking for Gluten Free Eating." I also found it posted on the web.

All Purpose Nearly Normal Gluten-Free Flour Mix

1 cup white rice flour

1 cup potato starch

1 cup cornstarch

1/2 cup corn flour

1/2 cup tapioca flour

4 tsp xanthan gum

On the web I found posted her suggestion for substitutes if you are avoiding corn (posted on 3/18/08 in the Washington Post):

1 cup white rice flour

1-1/2 cups potato starch

1 cup tapioca flour

1/2 cup sorghum flour

4 tsp xanthan gum

You mentioned there being a little something in her mix that really helps in your breads. If you are purchasing her pre-made mix - that would likely be the Expandex she adds. Expandex is modified tapioca starch. I have never seen it posted how much Expandex she adds. You can purchase Expandex yourself and add. Heartlands Finest makes this product. I believe the instructions on the bag indicate that you sub out 2 tbs to 1/4 cup of Expandex for Tapioca flour called for in a recipe. I have a bag of it, but have never tried it! But since you mention noticing a difference when using Jules mix - I am going to try using some Expandex in my next loaf of bread! :P Hmmm...just put some biscuits in the oven - will have to try this next time in those as well.

DMarie Apprentice

Oops...correction on the Expandex (I originally said Authentic Foods makes it - they do not). My bag says "Heartland's Finest." You can look up information on this product at: www.expandexglutenfree.com.

Heartlands Finest's website is: www.heartlandsfinest.com.

• 7 months later...
vanhorn Newbie

Hi-I've read the praises of Expandex, but I've been unable to find it in Hawaii and it's too expensive to buy and ship to HI. I've seen a lot of how to incorporate Expandex into recipes that don't call for it but I haven't seen how to substitute for Expandex. Does anyone have any idea?

Oops...correction on the Expandex (I originally said Authentic Foods makes it - they do not). My bag says "Heartland's Finest." You can look up information on this product at: www.expandexglutenfree.com.

Heartlands Finest's website is: www.heartlandsfinest.com.

Archived