Jump to content
  • Sign Up


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

0 Neutral

About vbeighley

  • Rank
  1. Have you tried eliminating citric acid and msg? I am gluten free, but my stepdaughter was having headaches and occasional nausea accompanied by bouts of exhaustion. We found a doc here in Minneapolis (William Walsh) who wrote a book on food allergies. I have learned so much in the last week it is pitiful. Citric acid that is used as a preservative in food is not derived from citrus fruit, but rather fermented from several different types of mold - Aspergillus niger and Candida albicans(yeast) - making yogurt of any kind, as well as most cheeses off limits, even those that are soy based. The msg is also a byproduct of the fermentation cycle that is found in these foods. Since two of her biggest reactions on the intradermal tests were to these two molds, it makes sense. After just 4 days off of this stuff, she is feeling much better. We will see if it lasts. Since she drank a lot of Pepsi every day, and it is high in citric acid, that just made it all worse. Seems even soy sauce that is listed as msg free has a certain amount in it that appears during the fermentation cycle.
  2. Kathy - The real test of whether you are intolerant will actually come when you add the food back in. If you are intolerant, it will hit you like a brick wall. Watch for nausea, headaches, swelling in the extremities, bloating of the abdominal area, excess flatulation among others. If you add the food back in on a daily basis, you should know within 2 days if you intolerant. You may be able to eat the food on an irregular basis, though not daily. An excellent source for food allergy information is a doctor who suffers a lot of these allergies himself - Dr. William R. Walsh, M.D. - his book - Food Allergies: The Complete Guide to Understanding & Relieving your Food Allergies is very helpful.
  • Create New...