Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):



Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):


Erwin Heuck

Advanced Members
  • Content Count

    6
  • Joined

  • Last visited


  1. With an elevated Ttg at such a young age, this is evidence of intestinal damage. However, the number is still on the low side so damage has probably just started. Your child most definitely has Celiac so the decision to do a biopsy would really be for your peace of mind. The biopsy could still come up negative, though, if damage is very patchy and they don't hit it right.

    For myself, I would be hesitant to do one at such a young age but you may be more comfortable with that. A good Celiac doctor would know his bloodwork and symptoms are proof of the disease and back up the diagnosis. You could always start the diet and keep track of response. Then, if things didn't improve within a reasonable amount of time, you could do the scope to see if anything else is going on. That won't affect anything relating to celiac disease because you already know the little guy has it. Good luck!

    Thanks so much to everyone that responded. I feel that the doctors are waffling on calling these symptoms celiac, simply so that they can be 100% confident in their diagnosis. The Dr's confidence will only come with time, observable damage to the villi in his intestine and undue risk to my sons long term health.

    I'm fortunate that there is a forum like this to hear what other people think.


  2. Can someone help me interperet the following....I'm wondering if a biopsy and another 3-4 weeks of feeding my son glutin is required.

    Lab results for son (2 yrs 8 months):

    Anti- tTG IgA 24.4 U/ml, normal <12

    Anti- Gliadin IgA 2.6 U/ml normal <10

    Anti-Gliadin IgG 64.4 U/ml, normal <10

    My son is pale, underweight 26.5 lbs, < 40% height 35", has had low iron (iron stores are good), picky eater and has recently become more irritable/demanding (terrible twos?). He was a good sized baby at nearly 9 lbs and 19.5 inches.

    Do I need to continue with glutin in diet for another 3 months for Paed. GI to see hime and potentially do a biopsy that may take 3-4 more additional weeks.

    The docs say all his organs are working fine regarding his failure to thrive.

    I'd like to help him now, but do not want a false negative on biopsy/endoscopy


  3. Can someone help me interperet the following....I'm wondering if a biopsy and another 3-4 weeks of feeding my son glutin is required.

    Lab results for son (2 yrs 8 months):

    Anti- tTG IgA 24.4 U/ml

    Anti- Gliadin IgA 2.6 U/ml

    Anti-Gliadin IgG 64.4 U/ml

    My son is pale, underweight 26.5 lbs, < 40% height 36", low iron, picky eater and has recently become more irritable/demanding (terrible twos?). He was a good sized baby at nearly 9 lbs and 19.5 inches.

    Do I need to put him through more grief ( ie continue with glutin in diet) to wait for a biopsy that may take 3-4 more weeks to confirm celiac to 100%?

    All his organs are working fine regarding his failure to thrive.

    I'd like to help him now, but do not want a false negative on biopsy/endoscopy


  4. My 2 1/2 year old son was "failing to thrive", and was just diagnosed as celiac, based on high level antibodies in bloodstream. We are waiting to get a biopsy done to confirm 100%, and it's killing me to keep feeding him something that may do him permanent harm.

    His eating habits have always been poor, and I'm wondering assuming Celiac is confirmed, can anyone comment on following:

    - how long for gut to repair itself?

    - did increased appetite result from abstaining from gluten?

    - how do I know he's getting the Iron/Folic/B12 he needs for developement?

    - How agressive should I be with Dr's to ensure he's getting appropriate nourishment/supplement during this critical stage of his developement?

    Worried sick in Regina Sask.