How Soon After Eating It Do We Get Sick? in Coping with Celiac Disease Posted April 25, 2008 · Report to Admin Bleach is useless or no better than soap. Gluten isn't alive, it can't be killed and bleach is not an effective cleaner in that it doesn't 'lift' it just kills bacteria. Neat alcohol is probably the best cleaner if you decide to try and scrub things clean. With all due respect to gfp... regards "cleaning with bleach"... firstly, bleach is absolutely a "hostile" and "destructive" environment for BOTH "enzymes & proteins", and not only just "living organisims like bacteria, etc". Secondly, in cleaning with bleach the "lifting off of the dirt" is accomplished with "effort" I term it the "elbow grease" part of the process, after scrubbing with full strength bleach & a brush, one is advised strongly to "blot up the wet bleach" using "paper towel" (so it can be disposed of rather than just rinsed inadequately perhaps and wrung repeatedly in a rag), and then one further should take a clean rag and hot water and "rinse" the surfaces that were bleached, and finally again "blot the area DRY", in my own humble opinion a process which more than adequately "lifts dirt / germs / and gluten" OFF of the surface being cleaned. I would note personally I do wear a mask and rubber gloves during this process. All that said... lastly, my intended point was really "a need to CLEAN surfaces you store/prepare gluten free foods on which have been in contact with gluten and can not just be replaced, like cupboards", and was not really concerned with what actual "method of cleaning" that any given soul might wish to use to do so.