This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Takala

Takala Enthusiast

Wanting a "mayonnaise" type sandwich spread, but just can't find one without all the ingredients you're having to avoid ?  This is so easy, I wish I had thought of it, but you have to give credit to my spouse, who's been putting it on my homemade sandwich rolls when he makes lunch.  I finally thought to ask him to show me his secret.  ;)

How to Make Easy, Instant, Gluten Free "Mayonnaise" Spread from Avocado

Ingredients:

avocado, very ripe, whole-  Don't Peel !

olive oil, gluten free, choice

vinegar, gluten free  (may sub lemon or lime juice)

salt, sea,  (iodine free option) 

spice of choice, optional, such as paprika

Take a ripe avocado.  Slice it in half, top to bottom, around the pit, and pry out the seed.  You now have 2 pieces of half avocado, sitting there in its own little mixing bowl.  Take a little bit of oil of your choice, such as high quality extra virgin olive oil,  and put a half teaspoon or so in the little cavity where the avocado pit was.  Next, put in a sprinkle of pure, gluten free apple cider vinegar or lemon juice.  Sprinkle with the salt product of your choice.  Add a sprinkle of smoked paprika spice or other spice ingredient, if you feel like it.

Now, take a fork, and cradling the half avocado bowl in your hand, mash that sucker up inside the avocado skin, until it is well blended. 

You now have a very tasty green "mayonnaise spread" that is just the right amount for a sandwich, and it has no egg, no soy, no iodine, and no food processor to clean up afterwards.  This makes enough for 2 sandwiches if you use up both avocado halves, and don't save the one for tomorrow. :)  

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kenlove Rising Star

Being an avo grower, ive been using them to replace  oil and mayo for years.

just put some in a food processor with spices and a little almond or soy milk, or water or vinegar and make mayo or salad dressing or dips with a littel salsa added. so much you can do with it

Wanting a "mayonnaise" type sandwich spread, but just can't find one without all the ingredients you're having to avoid ?  This is so easy, I wish I had thought of it, but you have to give credit to my spouse, who's been putting it on my homemade sandwich rolls when he makes lunch.  I finally thought to ask him to show me his secret.  ;)

How to Make Easy, Instant, Gluten Free "Mayonnaise" Spread from Avocado

Ingredients:

avocado, very ripe, whole-  Don't Peel !

olive oil, gluten free, choice

vinegar, gluten free  (may sub lemon or lime juice)

salt, sea,  (iodine free option) 

spice of choice, optional, such as paprika

Take a ripe avocado.  Slice it in half, top to bottom, around the pit, and pry out the seed.  You now have 2 pieces of half avocado, sitting there in its own little mixing bowl.  Take a little bit of oil of your choice, such as high quality extra virgin olive oil,  and put a half teaspoon or so in the little cavity where the avocado pit was.  Next, put in a sprinkle of pure, gluten free apple cider vinegar or lemon juice.  Sprinkle with the salt product of your choice.  Add a sprinkle of smoked paprika spice or other spice ingredient, if you feel like it.

Now, take a fork, and cradling the half avocado bowl in your hand, mash that sucker up inside the avocado skin, until it is well blended. 

You now have a very tasty green "mayonnaise spread" that is just the right amount for a sandwich, and it has no egg, no soy, no iodine, and no food processor to clean up afterwards.  This makes enough for 2 sandwiches if you use up both avocado halves, and don't save the one for tomorrow. :)  

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

Open Original Shared Link

I love avocados. It drives me nuts that the above link is ENTIRELY true ahahahahaha!!!  :lol: :lol:

SensitiveMe Rookie

Thanks Takala for the recipe as I am interested in trying it. I have never had an avocado but since I now have food restrictions of wheat corn soy, and have severe lactose intolerance I have become adventurous in trying new things.

I had to call my daughter who lives cross country to ask her how to even tell when a avocado is ripe as I have heard her mentioning liking them. She told me they are green when you buy them and you let them ripen up at home until they are soft and brown but not too brown or too soft. I told her the recipe and she suggested I try it on a turkey sandwich. Is she correct in what she told me? Any comments appreciated.

Takala Enthusiast

Yes, the avocado will be green and firm in the stores outside of avocado growing areas.  You have to let the thing ripen on the counter. Do not put them in the refrigerator, because then nothing will happen.  The skin will go from dark green to a darker shade of sort of green-mud-brown color and the avocado will then become softer to the touch when you squeeze it gently.   When you cut it open, it should still be bright green inside.  Frequently immature avocados, off the peak season, shipped a long way get sort of stubborn about wanting to be ripened, and quickly go from "not ripe" to having a lot of bad spots in them when you cut them open- you can cut them out and trim around them.  We are lucky here that this is an avocado growing state, and that the stores usually have avocados in the same pile in the bin that range from "no way, not yet" to "eat the same day you buy it" so you can pick up several to last the week. 

Turkey, swiss cheese, and avocado is the classic sandwich combination. :)

Archived