This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Creatine For Vegans And Vegetarians...

GFinDC

GFinDC Veteran

This is a link to an article about a study showing that some vegan and vegetarian females had improved mental performance on some mental tasks after taking creatine.

Open Original Shared Link

Seems creatine is used by the brain as part of it's energy supply.  The body can make creatine but it seems the process is not as efficient as taking it in through food.  Maybe it's not really able to make enough of it for optimal brain performance?  Anyway, this may be a supplement that could help vegans and vegetarians.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Juliebove Rising Star

Interesting!  But...  I looked for it online and it looks like it is only in powder form that you have to mix with liquid.  Pppyuck!  Could have sworn that I took it before.  But maybe that was creatinine?  Hmmm...  Whatever it was, was in capsules and had dairy in it.  Wouldn't work for me now.

GFinDC Veteran

Interesting!  But...  I looked for it online and it looks like it is only in powder form that you have to mix with liquid.  Pppyuck!  Could have sworn that I took it before.  But maybe that was creatinine?  Hmmm...  Whatever it was, was in capsules and had dairy in it.  Wouldn't work for me now.

Hi Julie,

Here's a link to a U MD article on creatine.    Creatinine is a different thing.

The kind I have is made by Twinlab, and it comes in a capsule.  It is called Creatine Fuel.  There are more brands out there, I just don't know which are capsules vs a powder.  The Twinlab version I have doesn't list any diary in it.  I think I prefer a powder myself.  That's what I plan to get next time.  That way I can adjust the amount I take vs taking a prefilled capsule of it.  I'd rather take a little less of it than what the capsules I have contain.  The U MD site recommends doses of 2 grams a day.  The capsules I have contain 5 grams.   Most of the information on creatine monohydrate is focused on muscle building instead of brain performance.  I guess they are both somewhat important tho. :)

OK, Vitamin Shoppe has some on sale it looks like.  I have not looked around much for it yet, I just got  interested in it recently.  I saw some comment from people talking about micronized versions and also ester versions maybe being easier on some people's stomachs.  But I haven't had any problems with my stomach so far.

Vitamin Shoppe brand on sale is :

BodyTech (More from Open Original Shared Link ) Creatine Monohydrate 100% Pure

I am not pushing Vitamin Shoppe brand tho, there are plenty of other ones out there.  There are some warnings about possible liver and kidney issues with it, so I'd rather take a more minimal dose myself.  The body builders can take their high load doses if they like, but I don't think that is for me.  I think it is generally safe to take, but like anything else shouldn't be overdone.  I read some stuff about it that says it may be helpful for people with weak hearts, or children with muscular dystrophy.  That sounds good too.

I feel better after taking it for  a couple weeks myself.  But please do read up on it as I am not an expert on it at all.  It does seem like something that could help people out some IMHO.

Juliebove Rising Star

Hi Julie,

Here's a link to a U MD article on creatine.    Creatinine is a different thing.

The kind I have is made by Twinlab, and it comes in a capsule.  It is called Creatine Fuel.  There are more brands out there, I just don't know which are capsules vs a powder.  The Twinlab version I have doesn't list any diary in it.  I think I prefer a powder myself.  That's what I plan to get next time.  That way I can adjust the amount I take vs taking a prefilled capsule of it.  I'd rather take a little less of it than what the capsules I have contain.  The U MD site recommends doses of 2 grams a day.  The capsules I have contain 5 grams.   Most of the information on creatine monohydrate is focused on muscle building instead of brain performance.  I guess they are both somewhat important tho. :)

OK, Vitamin Shoppe has some on sale it looks like.  I have not looked around much for it yet, I just got  interested in it recently.  I saw some comment from people talking about micronized versions and also ester versions maybe being easier on some people's stomachs.  But I haven't had any problems with my stomach so far.

Vitamin Shoppe brand on sale is :

BodyTech (More from Open Original Shared Link ) Creatine Monohydrate 100% Pure

I am not pushing Vitamin Shoppe brand tho, there are plenty of other ones out there.  There are some warnings about possible liver and kidney issues with it, so I'd rather take a more minimal dose myself.  The body builders can take their high load doses if they like, but I don't think that is for me.  I think it is generally safe to take, but like anything else shouldn't be overdone.  I read some stuff about it that says it may be helpful for people with weak hearts, or children with muscular dystrophy.  That sounds good too.

I feel better after taking it for  a couple weeks myself.  But please do read up on it as I am not an expert on it at all.  It does seem like something that could help people out some IMHO.

Pretty sure that Creatine was what I took then.  I was buying it online from a body building website and was taking it to try to gain more muscle.  I was working out with weights at the time.  Did not seem to help me in any way, shape or form though.  I had the worst brain fog of my life in those days.  But...  I was also being kept hyperthyroid by an IMO idiot Dr.  He knew he was doing this to me but said he was doing it because I was overweight.  Mm hm!

GFinDC Veteran

Pretty sure that Creatine was what I took then.  I was buying it online from a body building website and was taking it to try to gain more muscle.  I was working out with weights at the time.  Did not seem to help me in any way, shape or form though.  I had the worst brain fog of my life in those days.  But...  I was also being kept hyperthyroid by an IMO idiot Dr.  He knew he was doing this to me but said he was doing it because I was overweight.  Mm hm!

Wow, that's a bad doctor!  I guess he subscribes to the fight fire with fire theory.  Using one medical problem to treat another medical problem.  Not so smart.

Maybe the creatine didn't do anything for you Julie, I  don't know.  They say it takes a couple weeks for it to have an affect on muscles.  I saw that Jarrow formulas does make capsules in a smaller size than the Twinlab I got at first.  The Jarrow capsules are .8 gram, so a couple of those would be close to the 2 gram a day dose they recommend at U MD site.  I ended up ordering some powder though, it is much cheaper in that form.  It's a tasteless powder so not a problem to mix it in water or something to drink.  Or put it in food for that matter.  Capsules sure are convenient though.

The body-builder versions seem to often contain flavorings and dairy proteins.  That doesn't work for me either as I don't do dairy.  Since you mentioned brain fog, I wonder if it would help people with brain fog?  Hard to tell I guess.

Juliebove Rising Star

Dunno.  I still get brain fog sometimes but I am also getting older.

GFinDC Veteran

Dunno.  I still get brain fog sometimes but I am also getting older.

Well, getting older is better than the alternative I guess! :)

Since you have diabetes you should probably do some research on creatine and diabetes before taking it.  I found this one article on Livestrong which seems positive.

Creatine and Kidneys

Creatine supplements in low dosages, 5 to 10 grams per day, are beneficial and don't cause any health problems, according to the Diabetes Action Research and Education Foundation. The concern that creatine may impair kidney function and thus be dangerous for diabetes sufferers was found to be false in a 2011 study published in the "European Journal of Applied Physiology." The study followed participants taking creatine or a placebo for 12 weeks while on an exercise regime. No adverse effects were noted. The name of the study is "Creatine Supplementation Does Not Impair Kidney Function in Type 2 Diabetic Patients: A Randomized, Double-blind, Placebo-controlled, Clinical Trial."

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Juliebove Rising Star

Well, getting older is better than the alternative I guess! :)

Since you have diabetes you should probably do some research on creatine and diabetes before taking it.  I found this one article on Livestrong which seems positive.

Creatine and Kidneys

Creatine supplements in low dosages, 5 to 10 grams per day, are beneficial and don't cause any health problems, according to the Diabetes Action Research and Education Foundation. The concern that creatine may impair kidney function and thus be dangerous for diabetes sufferers was found to be false in a 2011 study published in the "European Journal of Applied Physiology." The study followed participants taking creatine or a placebo for 12 weeks while on an exercise regime. No adverse effects were noted. The name of the study is "Creatine Supplementation Does Not Impair Kidney Function in Type 2 Diabetic Patients: A Randomized, Double-blind, Placebo-controlled, Clinical Trial."

Thanks!

• 1 month later...
ravenra Rookie

My hubby and I (both vegetarians) take creatine supplements to replace what you'd normally get in meat. We're both cyclists and spend 8-10 hours on the bike per week. I don't notice any gains strength wise, but we both notice a difference in our clear thinking. He also has ADD and experiences too many side effects on ritalin, so creatine + DHA help clear his head. 

foam Apprentice

I've taken creatine supplements while vegetarian. I couldn't say it helped mental performance but it certainly doesn't hurt in muscle conditioning and weight gain while you are training. Given that you get next to none when vegetarian and it's an important substance it doesn't hurt to take it. It has no flavour so you can drink it in water pretty much without knowing it's there.

Archived