This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Homemade Taco Seasoning Recipes W/ Big Batch/ Xmas Gifting Instructions

LauraTX

LauraTX Rising Star

This is a recipe I have been using for a while.  Who needs a mix packet when you are like me and eat tacos/taco meat often enough to make your own and save money and control the ingredients.  It is written for a lower heat level(since I put hot sauce on my tacos) and lower salt.  I Love Tacos!

Taco Seasoning (3 Tbsp. = 1 packet of taco seasoning):
1 Tablespoon Chili Powder
½ teaspoon garlic powder 
½ teaspoon onion powder 
1/8 teaspoon red pepper
1 teaspoon dried oregano
½ teaspoon paprika
1 ½ teaspoons ground cumin
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon black pepper

Directions for taco meat:
Brown 1 lb. ground beef or turkey in skillet; drain.  Add 1/2 cup water and 3 Tablespoons taco seasoning.  Stir well and heat over medium heat for a few minutes until done.  Serve in tacos or on nachos.  
To spice things up, use tomato sauce or salsa instead of water.  

Serve your tacos with this easy
Mexican Rice Recipe:
1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
1 C long grain white rice
2 C chicken broth
1/2 small onion or 1 shallot
1 whole tomato 
1 tsp. garlic powder
Salt & pepper to taste
Heat oil in saucepan over medium-low heat.   Add rice and sauté until golden brown.  Carefully add chicken broth and grate in onion and tomato. Add garlic powder, salt, and pepper.  Bring to a boil and then simmer 25 minutes, covered, until rice is done.  Salt to taste.
To prevent rice from being soggy, use grated tomato towards total liquid volume measurement.  

Taco Mac Bake Recipe
(Adapted from 101 cooking for two- Open Original Shared Link )
1 pound ground beef
3 Tbsp.  taco seasoning
2 cups pasta (can use 1 cup and add 1 can pinto beans)
1 - 14oz can black beans drained and rinsed
2 - 10 oz cans Rotel
2 cups low fat mexican shredded cheese
1 1/2 cup tortilla chips, crushed
½ C water
Preheat the oven to 350. Cook 2 cups of pasta of your choice to the minimum recommended time.  While cooking the pasta, brown 1 pound of ground beef.  Drain the fat. Drain and rinse one 14 oz. can of black beans. 
Add the drained black beans, two 10 oz cans of Rotel, and 1/2 cup water. Add 3 Tbsp. of homemade taco seasoning.  Mix well and simmer for a few minutes.  Also crush 1 1/2 cups of tortilla chips to make about 3/4 cup of small bits.
Remove from heat. Add pasta and 1 1/4 cup shredded cheese. Transfer to a large oven safe baking dish.
Top with the remaining 3/4 cup cheese and crushed chips. Mix them together a little. Bake until browned. About 25 minutes.

Laura's Homemade Enchilada Sauce Recipe:
1/8 C vegetable Oil
2 Tbsp.  flour (I use half corn starch and half brown rice flour)
2 Tbsp. chili powder
8 oz. tomato sauce
1 C chicken stock (or water)
½ tsp. cumin
½ tsp. garlic powder
½ tsp. onion powder
1 Tbsp. brown sugar
Salt to taste
1 tsp. oregano
Pepper to taste
Red pepper to taste

(Can Sub Taco Seasoning mix for the spices!  Just put them all in with the oil at the start)
Make a roux/paste with the oil, flour, and chili powder.  Cook for a few minutes.  Add liquid and seasonings, simmer a few minutes until done.  Keep covered until used.
Makes enough for an 8x12 pan of enchiladas.

To make enchiladas:
1 recipe of taco meat
1 can beans, undrained- black, pinto, or refried
1 recipe enchilada sauce
8-10 Corn tortillas
Shredded Cheese for the top
any other veggies you want

Rule no. 1 for enchiladas is you cannot screw them up!  Just roll up your desired filling in tortillas, line them up in a pan, top with enchilada sauce, sprinkle cheese on top, and bake at 375 F until hot and bubbly.  I use half beef taco meat and half beans, but you can do a double recipe of taco meat and use just that.  You can add anything inside or on top that you like and is tasty to you!  My husband hates vegetables so I keep it simple and add my own fresh salsa on top of my portion.

Enchiladas also freeze well, Since I usually cook for two, I split the recipe into one pan for now, and one foil pan into the freezer for later.  Bite me, Stouffers!

Big Batch Taco Seasoning Recipe- Cheap Christmas Gifts!
Makes 12 cups, perfect for 12  8oz. canning jars.
(4 ½ cups) 3 teaspoon chili powder
(¾ cup) 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
(¾ cup) 1/2 teaspoon onion powder 
(3 tablespoons) 1/8 teaspoon red pepper
(1 ½ cup) 1 teaspoon dried oregano
(¾ cup)  1/2 teaspoon paprika
 (2 ¼ cup) 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
(¾ cup) 1/2 teaspoon salt
 (¾ cup) 1/2 teaspoon black pepper

Since I am good with math and not everyone is, I thought I would share this multiplied recipe, too.

I made a big batch of this, bought 12 8oz. canning jars, and filled them up (had a little leftover for me) and decorated them for budget-friendly Christmas Gifts.  I think my family is going to really like them. I used mostly Tones spices from sams club, and I discovered that the 20 oz. chili powder is 4 and a half cups.  A Standard mccormick spice bottle is 1/2 cup.  If that helps anyone :P   Overall I spent about 50 dollars on 12 gifts, not too bad!  If I had made a double recipe of this, the cost per jar would have been cheaper as I had a good bit of spices left over, but I will use them up.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master

Wow!  Thanks!  We love tacos too.  

moosemalibu Collaborator

Thank you so much for your recipes! They look amazing. I'm going to get a big spice shaker and mix up your taco seasoning for my use.

Archived