This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Meal Planning For The Newly Diagnosed- Challenge

user001

user001 Contributor

Being recently diagnosed is hard and many people tell me their nutritionist was not very helpful when they visted after being diagnosed. I agree, there was so many things they left out and never mentioned,like they say we can eat everything but gluten, NOT TRUE.  Like eating gluten free oats, hello- bad suggestion doc! I will be seeing a different nutritionist in sept, needless to say.

I challenge the veterans (or those who have been healing well) to create a meal plan for a newly diagnosed person. Meal planning is overwhelming for me especially planning for an entire week at once.

Meal plan for 1 full day- 3 meals and a snack or 2. Please be specific on cooking methods.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
GF Lover Rising Star

If you browse through the "What's for Dinner" thread, you will find many simple dinners.

Colleen

Gemini Experienced

Gluten free oats are perfectly safe for many Celiacs so it was not a bad suggestion from the nutritionist.  I tolerated them well from the get go and I was pretty sick at diagnosis...go figure.

Colleen gave you good advice for the dinner thread.  It contains some wonderful ideas. This is something you are going to have to learn yourself.  I would suggest meal planning just a few days in advance, in the beginning, if you find it overwhelming.  We do not know what you can or cannot eat so read the dinner thread and look at gluten-free cookbooks to get ideas.....this is how we all learned. 

user001 Contributor

I have noticed alot of cookbooks do not focus on whole foods, but processed foods instead. Recommendations?

BlessedMommy Rising Star

Unfortunately we are all so different in what we tolerate, that it would be difficult to make any uniform suggestions. I'm sorry that you're having trouble with certain foods. :(

Gemini Experienced

I have noticed alot of cookbooks do not focus on whole foods, but processed foods instead. Recommendations?

Unless you are looking at dessert cookbooks, there should not be much in the way of processed food recipes in a good cook book.  One of my favorites is a British vegetarian cook book ( I am not a vegetarian but the recipes are great!) called Veg:River Cottage Everyday.  It is not a gluten free cook book but what recipes may contain gluten can be easily modified to be gluten free.  Many are already gluten free because it is vegetables, after all.

Aside from that, I would suggest going to a good book store and looking at their gluten free selections and also their non-gluten free selections.  Most recipes can be modifed to be gluten free quite easily.  There is going to be a learning curve for you, like everyone else.  But you will end up a better cook and have a lot of variety in your diet and that's how you keep from feeling deprived.  If you have questions, feel free to ask away on the recipe/dinner thread!

BlessedMommy Rising Star

I agree that lots of recipes can be modified easily to be gluten free with only minor tweaks.

One of my favorite cookbooks isn't a gluten free cookbook at all, but it has been very useful to me.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

IrishHeart Veteran

I am not sure what cookbook you are looking at, but the Joy of Cooking for example, (one of the old standards for cooking) does not rely on processed foods for recipes. 

I gave a bunch of meal options in  the Newbie 101 thread. Take a look. (under COPING) 

yes, there are some gluten-free products thrown in for convenience, (I was trying to help people who have kids, too)

but there are many meal suggestions there.

Whatever you ate before DX can easily be adapted. Tons of recipes abound on the internet.

check gluten free goddess

elana amsterdam

stephanie o'dea

for starters.

user001 Contributor

I am really just looking for what things are good for healing for people who are new. I looked at the newbie thread, but im really passed the "omg i cant eat anything" and more at the point where Im like, what can i eat to start getting healthy. I like squash and I have read its easy on the stomach, but I think diversity is good for getting the most nutrition. I have been told that eating things like onions, garlic, bell peppers etc. are not good for me, as well as spicy foods. I have never had a problem with any of those foods (pre or post GFD).I journal enough to make myself crazy, so this is something I know.

I have also been lead to believe that I can't really eat something just because its gluten free (confused, the doc said otherwise), like alot of (very nice) recipes I have found on the internet. I looked into Dr Weil's anti inflammatory food pyramid and it says how amazing cruciferous veggies like broccoli are and cabbage, but then I read Im not supposed to eat that for like a year, even if its cooked a lot. I really think of those as foods that are healing and very good for me.

I have had small amounts of broccoli, cooked and had no issues. I was thinking whatever healthy foods I can eat, I should eat if they do not give me any troubles. Is this correct? or could I be unknowingly causing myself damage by eating them? This is my main worry.

BlessedMommy Rising Star

I think that making more rules for what food to eats only makes things unnecessarily difficult.

I would say that the best rule is to eat simple whole food meals and to take note if something bothers you. If something doesn't bother you, I don't see why it would need to be eliminated. 

user001 Contributor

I think that making more rules for what food to eats only makes things unnecessarily difficult.

I would say that the best rule is to eat simple whole food meals and to take note if something bothers you. If something doesn't bother you, I don't see why it would need to be eliminated. 

Thank you! Im just very concerned about making more mistakes, I made a lot when I first started in march and I just want to get better. I really try to avoid processed foods but occasionally you need to have your turkey burger with a bun or just have a freaking cookie so you don't go insane.

SMRI Collaborator

I am really just looking for what things are good for healing for people who are new. I looked at the newbie thread, but im really passed the "omg i cant eat anything" and more at the point where Im like, what can i eat to start getting healthy. I like squash and I have read its easy on the stomach, but I think diversity is good for getting the most nutrition. I have been told that eating things like onions, garlic, bell peppers etc. are not good for me, as well as spicy foods. I have never had a problem with any of those foods (pre or post GFD).I journal enough to make myself crazy, so this is something I know.

I have also been lead to believe that I can't really eat something just because its gluten free (confused, the doc said otherwise), like alot of (very nice) recipes I have found on the internet. I looked into Dr Weil's anti inflammatory food pyramid and it says how amazing cruciferous veggies like broccoli are and cabbage, but then I read Im not supposed to eat that for like a year, even if its cooked a lot. I really think of those as foods that are healing and very good for me.

I have had small amounts of broccoli, cooked and had no issues. I was thinking whatever healthy foods I can eat, I should eat if they do not give me any troubles. Is this correct? or could I be unknowingly causing myself damage by eating them? This is my main worry.

My advice, put the books down, read food labels and make what you like.  I don't know who Dr. Weil is, nor do I care, but when they start in with the propaganda and hype, I stop listening.  What works for one, won't work for another.  It's generally accepted that when you are sick, starting back on more bland foods can eliminate some shock to your system, like after you have had a stomach virus for example.  If you want to do that, stick with a bland diet, minimal seasonings and nothing spicy.  Then add in more as you feel better.  Keep a food journal to see what you ate and if you had any problems after that.  Look for patterns, put it into an excel spreadsheet if you need to.  That is how you will find what works and does not work for YOU.

It's like trying to parent out of a book---it's great if the baby has read the book, but if not, the baby is going to have his/her own agenda :D.  Your intestines don't know who Dr. Weil is either :D.

user001 Contributor

Ok so I can have cooked cabbage and broccoli if it doesn't bother me?

user001 Contributor

Totally paranoid, just want to get better.

I have been drinking a protein/vitamin shake that seems to be a good snack for me. I didn't realize it till last week but it has L-glutamine which is supposed to be great for healing. I hate the taste but whatever helps.

IrishHeart Veteran

I do not know who told you that eating certain foods was not good for you. What they probably said was that spicy things can bother you. 

I recall you saying your stomach was upset after eating spicy stuff. ...and people said to avoid it if it bothers you. That's all. 

Who says you can't have cruciferous veggies??? :blink:  here's a suggestion.....stop reading everyone's "opinions" maybe?

There is nutritional value in red peppers, onions and garlic.

All veggies have some nutritional value. All foods I mention on the newbie thread can be construed as "healing" foods.

Turkey meatloaf, baked sweet potatoes and some fresh green beans....has nutrition. 

Just eat what you like. 

I do not see how you can cause yourself damage. As long as it's not gluten, there's no damage going on. 

You may be over thinking this whole thing. 

user001 Contributor

I do not know who told you that eating certain foods was not good for you. What they probably said was that spicy things can bother you. 

I recall you saying your stomach was upset after eating spicy stuff. ...and people said to avoid it if it bothers you. That's all. 

Who says you can't have cruciferous veggies??? :blink:  here's a suggestion.....stop reading everyone's "opinions" maybe?

There is nutritional value in red peppers, onions and garlic.

All veggies have some nutritional value. All foods I mention on the newbie thread can be construed as "healing" foods.

Turkey meatloaf, baked sweet potatoes and some fresh green beans....has nutrition. 

Just eat what you like. 

I do not see how you can cause yourself damage. As long as it's not gluten, there's no damage going on. 

OK

#1 I had a problem with gluten free oatmeal and spending time with children who consumed gluten and may have gotten some on me. I had eating spicy food (very mild) 24 hours prior, someone had suggested this was why I was having a problem. Never have had problems with spicy foods.

#2 thank you for clearing things up for me with the damage and such

#3 I have been thinking about that exact meal (turkey meatloaf, sweet potatoes and green beans) for dinner next week sometime.. OMG YOU are KILLING ME, I WANT TO EAT IT NOW.

BlessedMommy Rising Star

I agree! To my knowledge, there's no way for veggies to damage the villi. 

I would be very leery of cutting out healthy foods for vague unproven reasons. You need variety in your diet and you need the nutrients in a variety of foods. 

When I was breastfeeding my first baby, somebody claimed that chocolate would make my baby scream and so I should cut it out of my diet. Well, I didn't because that wasn't an issue for me! I think that a lot of the restrictions that people try to impose on breastfeeding moms just make breastfeeding seem needlessly hard.

Same with celiac, I would be very suspicious of any doctor who starts telling me to cut out foods left and right without hard evidence. Being gluten free is hard enough as is.

user001 Contributor

I agree! To my knowledge, there's no way for veggies to damage the villi. 

I would be very leery of cutting out healthy foods for vague unproven reasons. You need variety in your diet and you need the nutrients in a variety of foods. 

When I was breastfeeding my first baby, somebody claimed that chocolate would make my baby scream and so I should cut it out of my diet. Well, I didn't because that wasn't an issue for me! I think that a lot of the restrictions that people try to impose on breastfeeding moms just make breastfeeding seem needlessly hard.

Same with celiac, I would be very suspicious of any doctor who starts telling me to cut out foods left and right without hard evidence. Being gluten free is hard enough as is.

Man O man. I think CUTTING OUT chocolate, would cause me to scream.

Thanks for the input. There is just so much conflicting information out there.

GottaSki Mentor

OK

#1 I had a problem with gluten free oatmeal and spending time with children who consumed gluten and may have gotten some on me. I had eating spicy food (very mild) 24 hours prior, someone had suggested this was why I was having a problem. Never have had problems with spicy foods.

#2 thank you for clearing things up for me with the damage and such

#3 I have been thinking about that exact meal (turkey meatloaf, sweet potatoes and green beans) for dinner next week sometime.. OMG YOU are KILLING ME, I WANT TO EAT IT NOW.

We have meatloaf regularly...there are many things that work as bread crumbs, but we find saving the heals from our gluten-free bread in the freezer until it is meatloaf day works great.

user001 Contributor

We have meatloaf regularly...there are many things that work as bread crumbs, but we find saving the heals from our gluten-free bread in the freezer until it is meatloaf day works great.

I made little mini meatloaves a couple months ago with that yogurt based cucumber gyro sauce on top (homemade but i cant spell the name!) We just used an egg and some herbs in there and it worked out ok. I think the mini loaves stay together better with just the egg and herbs. It was amazing! We did lemon roasted potatoes and a cucumber salad with that.

Patti J Rookie

Being recently diagnosed is hard and many people tell me their nutritionist was not very helpful when they visted after being diagnosed. I agree, there was so many things they left out and never mentioned,like they say we can eat everything but gluten, NOT TRUE.  Like eating gluten free oats, hello- bad suggestion doc! I will be seeing a different nutritionist in sept, needless to say.

I challenge the veterans (or those who have been healing well) to create a meal plan for a newly diagnosed person. Meal planning is overwhelming for me especially planning for an entire week at once.

Meal plan for 1 full day- 3 meals and a snack or 2. Please be specific on cooking methods.

I can relate to your frustration of meal planning. I too suffer from that and find myself eating the same old things! I have lost weight I can't afford over these past almost 2 months. I have seen some interesting dishes suggested in these forums, just some things I can't eat for other health related ideas. Give these folks time, they will offer suggestions to help! 

SMRI Collaborator

I've always used saltine crackers in my meatloaf.  I can easily substitute gluten-free crackers.

Man O man. I think CUTTING OUT chocolate, would cause me to scream.

Thanks for the input. There is just so much conflicting information out there.

So far you are the only one I've read that has come up with these concerns about vegetables and such.  I don't know that there really is conflicting information vs you have found some bad sources of information.  Read deeper into those sites/books and see if everything seems alarmist. That's usually a good tip off that the person writing the information is a crackpot!!  Sometimes people just don't tolerate some foods for whatever reason.  It doesn't HAVE to be Celiac or a "disease".  I can't eat cherries.  I love cherries, but they do not love me.  I've never been able to eat spicy foods.  It's all too hot for me so I don't.  I bet if I spent enough time on the internet I could find "someone" that has a disease that if you can't eat cherries and spicy foods you have some horrible disease :D.

BlessedMommy Rising Star

Yes, gluten-free crackers work great for meatloaf and such. When I can find the Schar saltine type ones for cheap at the Amish store, I like to pick those up for that very reason.

IrishHeart Veteran

I've always used saltine crackers in my meatloaf.  I can easily substitute gluten-free crackers.

So far you are the only one I've read that has come up with these concerns about vegetables and such.  I don't know that there really is conflicting information vs you have found some bad sources of information.  Read deeper into those sites/books and see if everything seems alarmist. That's usually a good tip off that the person writing the information is a crackpot!!  Sometimes people just don't tolerate some foods for whatever reason.  It doesn't HAVE to be Celiac or a "disease".  I can't eat cherries.  I love cherries, but they do not love me.  I've never been able to eat spicy foods.  It's all too hot for me so I don't.  I bet if I spent enough time on the internet I could find "someone" that has a disease that if you can't eat cherries and spicy foods you have some horrible disease :D.

No, she's not the only one.  ^_^

I have read all kinds of alarmist information on the internet (and even right on here!)

You'd be stunned to read what some people *think* is a problem.

if I believed everything everyone says is "bad for a celiac", the list of foods I could eat would include:  water and lettuce.

I'd be pretty thin, peeing my brains out all day and grouchy. 

BlessedMommy Rising Star

Actually Irish, I don't even think that you would be allowed to drink water if you believed everybody. Remember the folks who claimed that water had gluten in it?  :D  :lol:  :P  

I'm at the stage where I will run screaming in the opposite direction if anybody tells me anything more to eliminate from my diet.  :ph34r:

Archived