This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

New To This! Any Celiacs/gluten Free In Uk?

Emma-jane88

Jmg Mentor

Tesco have some gluten free offers, see photograph for more.

If I had to guess I'd say they're out in advance of Coeliac UK's gluten free awareness week which promises a gluten freevolution...Needless to say I will be at the barricades urging the downfall of the gluten bakeries and the coming of the new glorious gluten free order. Until then I will be eating the delicious childhood memory inducing Go Free Rice Pops at a mere £1.50 a box.

Wicked sinners can abuse their bodily temples with gluten free beer, which does look rather tasty and is tempting me off the wagon. They have some gluten-free crisps on sale too (chips to our confused cousins across the pond) but they didn't make it into the picture.

I also found curly wurlys and fudges on sale elsewhere in the store, verily my cup overrunneth...

IMG_20170503_121210.webp

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jmg

• cristiana

• Gemini

• Victoria1234

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jmg

Jmg 45 posts

• cristiana

cristiana 43 posts

• Gemini

Gemini 5 posts

• Victoria1234

Victoria1234 5 posts

Posted Images

cristiana Veteran
6 hours ago, Jmg said:

Tesco have some gluten free offers, see photograph for more.

If I had to guess I'd say they're out in advance of Coeliac UK's gluten free awareness week which promises a gluten freevolution...Needless to say I will be at the barricades urging the downfall of the gluten bakeries and the coming of the new glorious gluten free order. Until then I will be eating the delicious childhood memory inducing Go Free Rice Pops at a mere £1.50 a box.

Wicked sinners can abuse their bodily temples with gluten free beer, which does look rather tasty and is tempting me off the wagon. They have some gluten-free crisps on sale too (chips to our confused cousins across the pond) but they didn't make it into the picture.

I also found curly wurlys and fudges on sale elsewhere in the store, verily my cup overrunneth...

Wow JMG, thanks for letting us know.

Meanwhile, 'ere in rural middle of nowhere, our Tescos Express has practically empty shelves - like there has been a run on gluten free biscuits, cake and pasta. Very odd?  Maybe the shelves looked full, until you posted your piccy 6 hours ago.  Handbags at dawn.

While I'm online, I feel I must recommend Tescos Angel Slices - there were some left on the shelves.  I actually prefer them to the Angel Slices/Cakes I remember from my gluten imbibing days.  I genuinely think they are actually much better than the thing they are trying to be, which must be a rare thing?

And as for gluten free rice pop things.  I found some of those recently and I am really enjoying them.  Just like the good old days.

Referring to another thread, I wish they were fortified as the brand I'm eating probably have no nutritional value other than white carbs, and are probably laced with arsenic, because they are rice?

Jmg Mentor
16 minutes ago, cristiana said:

Wow JMG, thanks for letting us know.

Meanwhile, 'ere in rural middle of nowhere, our Tescos Express has practically empty shelves - like there has been a run on gluten free biscuits, cake and pasta. Very odd?  Maybe the shelves looked full, until you posted your piccy 6 hours ago.  Handbags at dawn.

While I'm online, I feel I must recommend Tescos Angel Slices - there were some left on the shelves.  I actually prefer them to the Angel Slices/Cakes I remember from my gluten imbibing days.  I genuinely think they are actually much better than the thing they are trying to be, which must be a rare thing?

And as for gluten free rice pop things.  I found some of those recently and I am really enjoying them.  Just like the good old days.

Referring to another thread, I wish they were fortified as the brand I'm eating probably have no nutritional value other than white carbs, and are probably laced with arsenic, because they are rice?

Just sprinkle iron filings on them :) 

The Angel slice suggestion reminds me, Also spotted on my recon my first sighting of mr Kipling's gluten free cherry bake well tarts and a bake well loaf. I only pray that mr Kipling , possibly the busiest baker in the history of the world, will deign to deglutenise his exceedingly good French fancies as I am suddenly taken with a desire to bite the cream off the top of one then painstakingly remove its fondant cladding in accordance with established school cafeteria practice. 

cristiana Veteran
3 minutes ago, Jmg said:

Just sprinkle iron filings on them :) 

The Angel slice suggestion reminds me, Also spotted on my recon my first sighting of mr Kipling's gluten free cherry bake well tarts and a bake well loaf. I only pray that mr Kipling , possibly the busiest baker in the history of the world, will deign to deglutenise his exceedingly good French fancies as I am suddenly taken with a desire to bite the cream off the top of one then painstakingly remove its fondant cladding in accordance with established school cafeteria practice. 

Yes, French Fancies have to be next on the list.  Yum.  I wish you hadn't mentioned them, I want one NOW.

It's great Mr Kipling are now in the ring.  But I can't eat gluten-free oat flour so in actual fact I can't eat their bakewell cake....

Jmg Mentor
1 hour ago, cristiana said:

Yes, French Fancies have to be next on the list.  Yum.  I wish you hadn't mentioned them, I want one NOW.

It's great Mr Kipling are now in the ring.  But I can't eat gluten-free oat flour so in actual fact I can't eat their bakewell cake....

That's exceedingly gutting :( 

I didn't like bakewell cake before, almonds weren't my thing. Now I'm much less fussy. 

The french fancy's were retaliation for the great doughnut debacle of several posts ago. Now we're even :P

Jmg Mentor

So the coeliac gluten free week is almost upon us. The latest Aldi catalog has some gluten free stuff, but it's not on the shelves yet. There's bread mixes, gluten-free beer, some ilumi ready meals, which are very handy to have in the cupboard: http://www.ilumiworld.com/shop/meals.html and some dessert bars that I've not seen before. There's also some of that millionaires shortbread stuff, but my body is a temple and I won't be tempted...

There's a lot in Aldi which is gluten-free if you know where to look:

https://cdn.aldi-digital.co.uk/@tTES1ro4p2KdbnoNhxf6PEth0M.pdf

cristiana Veteran

Well done, Jmg.

My husband has just brought home a pizza made by a major Pizza manufacturer.

It really does seem that every day, in every way, being gluten free is getting easier and easier!  

http://www.goodfellaspizzas.com/our-range/gluten-free-range/

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

rarchy Apprentice

Wow I know who to ask when it comes to gluten-free cakes and sweet treats! ?

I did have some gluten-free hot cross buns over easter which were pretty good, one lot were from ASDA and the other I can't remember the name but I bought in Morrisons (not their brand, they don't seem to sell much which is Morrisons branded).

The thing that I will miss is pastries, I presume there are no decent croissants or pain au chocolates out there :( 

When I can be bothered I will try out some gluten-free baking. I've made a decent gluten-free victoria sponge in the past as my brother doesnt eat gluten (he has ulcerative colitis) and when I added xanthan gum you couldn't notice the difference at all! I will definitely be making gluten-free mince pies at Christmas too, although I imagine they will be crumbly. 

Although I will have to avoid cakes and other treats for the time being, I am not eating dairy and trying to eat as little processed food as possible for the next few months seeing as I am in the initial stages of being gluten-free. Although I will allow myself the odd treat  every now and again :)

cristiana Veteran

Yes... it's not good is it rarchy.? Most of the posts on this site about whole foods.  Trust us Brits to lower the tone! :P

When you are feeling like a treat why not try making some pastries with this.  I can't find it in my local store but you may have more success.  

You will find, however, that new gluten-free products come up all the time.  There is now very little that I miss because I can find most things.  As my expanding waistline will attest...

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=294128716

• 4 weeks later...
Jmg Mentor

Here's an interesting article my sister sent me about gluten free items being cheaper in the 'normal' aisles than in the free from section:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/deals/deals-hunter/2017/05/23/gluten-or-wheat-free-find-hidden-bargains-instead/?utm_source=MSE_Newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_term=31-May-17-16788361&utm_campaign=nt-didyoumiss&utm_content=8

I think it's also worth quoting this advice from Coeliac UK

“There are also lots of foods that are not labelled gluten-free that people want to buy as part of their normal shop, like cooking sauces, ready meals and snacks. Where these do not contain gluten in the ingredients, and when they do not display a ‘may contain’ statement, we advise that these can be included in a gluten-free diet.”

When I first went gluten free I didn't feel comfortable with any processed food which wasn't marked 'gluten free'. Once I got the Coeliac guide I realised that there was a lot that they were recommending from the regular food sections. If you can find those foods and you're comfortable eating something which isn't labelled gluten-free then your choices are much greater and your costs less. 

cristiana Veteran
2 hours ago, Jmg said:

Here's an interesting article my sister sent me about gluten free items being cheaper in the 'normal' aisles than in the free from section:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/deals/deals-hunter/2017/05/23/gluten-or-wheat-free-find-hidden-bargains-instead/?utm_source=MSE_Newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_term=31-May-17-16788361&utm_campaign=nt-didyoumiss&utm_content=8

I think it's also worth quoting this advice from Coeliac UK

When I first went gluten free I didn't feel comfortable with any processed food which wasn't marked 'gluten free'. Once I got the Coeliac guide I realised that there was a lot that they were recommending from the regular food sections. If you can find those foods and you're comfortable eating something which isn't labelled gluten-free then your choices are much greater and your costs less. 

Definitely worth getting the guide by becoming a member of Coeliac UK  - it will pay for itself!

I've just discovered, by the way, that Amy's Gluten Free Soup Tomato Flavour makes a very respectable base for a bolognese sauce if one has forgotten to buy the base ingredients for one (or a pre-made sauce).  We've also used it as a tomato pizza base in an emergency.  It really packs a punch flavour wise. 

Jmg Mentor
1 hour ago, cristiana said:

Definitely worth getting the guide by becoming a member of Coeliac UK  - it will pay for itself!

I've just discovered, by the way, that Amy's Gluten Free Soup Tomato Flavour makes a very respectable base for a bolognese sauce if one has forgotten to buy the base ingredients for one (or a pre-made sauce).  We've also used it as a tomato pizza base in an emergency.  It really packs a punch flavour wise. 

Is that the chunky one? I really like it. Like you say it's really tasty. I often have it with an egg as a quick meal, but I could well see it as a pasta sauce or pizza spread base.  

cristiana Veteran
38 minutes ago, Jmg said:

Is that the chunky one? I really like it. Like you say it's really tasty. I often have it with an egg as a quick meal, but I could well see it as a pasta sauce or pizza spread base.  

That's the one.  In fact, it's a terrific range.  There are some great Baxters soups out there that are gluten-free too, and it even says it on the can.  

Baxters are very gluten aware - I'm currently eating a jar of their Simply Delicious Organic Garlic Mayonnaise and although nothing beats the freshly made stuff it is very good.  And on the side is the gluten free tick.

I am constantly amazed and encouraged at how our horizons are broadening here in the UK.  A great suprise last year was to visit a tea room on the Isle of Wight and when I asked do you have any gluten free cake the lady replied 'All our cakes are gluten free'.  

I don't know if it was just a good day to be there or whether all their cakes are gluten free all of the time, but isn't it great to be able to just sit down with a cup of tea and slice of cake and feel normal again!

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g190925-d1673739-Reviews-The_Old_Thatch_Tearooms-Shanklin_Isle_of_Wight_England.html

Jmg Mentor
19 minutes ago, cristiana said:

That's the one.  In fact, it's a terrific range.  There are some great Baxters soups out there that are gluten-free too, and it even says it on the can.  

Baxters are very gluten aware - I'm currently eating a jar of their Simply Delicious Organic Garlic Mayonnaise and although nothing beats the freshly made stuff it is very good.  And on the side is the gluten free tick.

I am constantly amazed and encouraged at how our horizons are broadening here in the UK.  A great suprise last year was to visit a tea room on the Isle of Wight and when I asked do you have any gluten free cake the lady replied 'All our cakes are gluten free'.  

I don't know if it was just a good day to be there or whether all their cakes are gluten free all of the time, but isn't it great to be able to just sit down with a cup of tea and slice of cake and feel normal again!

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g190925-d1673739-Reviews-The_Old_Thatch_Tearooms-Shanklin_Isle_of_Wight_England.html

Yes I felt the same way when I discovered a fish and chip shop on Anglessey that had gone completely gluten-free. I could just order and eat, no explanations, no worries... :)

Seeing the Isle of Wight on that link has sent me right back to childhood memories, Shanklin, The Needles, Blackang Chine, Coloured sand from Alum bay! Happy days!

cristiana Veteran
1 hour ago, Jmg said:

Yes I felt the same way when I discovered a fish and chip shop on Anglessey that had gone completely gluten-free. I could just order and eat, no explanations, no worries... :)

Seeing the Isle of Wight on that link has sent me right back to childhood memories, Shanklin, The Needles, Blackang Chine, Coloured sand from Alum bay! Happy days!

Its a lovely place isn't it!  I remember my sister telling me about a survey where a group of young adults  were asked which their favourite holidays were when they were children.  The seaside holidays in the UK won hands down, even compared with the more exotic destinations.  There was something so special about seaside holidays -  even if it was raining!

cristiana Veteran

Good to discover  Manomasa's Range of Tortilla Chips are all Gluten Free!

http://manomasa.co.uk/#home

Jmg Mentor

They look good, am not conscious of having seen them so far.

I usually get the incredibly cheap everyday essentials Aldi tortilla chips. They're not marked gluten free but they were in the coeliac UK guide and dont give me any problems. I can get a pot of salsa and the tortillas for less than a bag of doritos. 

Incidentally aldi now selling rice cake bars chocolate and choc orange. My local one has a lot of the gluten-free foods from coeliac month too, they're sellng some of those off now.

cristiana Veteran

Thanks for the tip.  Continuing on the whole food theme :P...

Yesterday I was in the New Forest and have discovered many of the New Forest Ice Cream range is gluten free - worth knowing, because these lovely ices are sold further afield. 

Here's  their current allergens list.

https://irp-cdn.multiscreensite.com/ca2a335c/files/uploaded/2017_ NFIC_Allergens_Chart_v2.pdf

The lady working at Drifters of Lymington really knows her stuff when it comes to gluten-free food and they sell New Forest ice cream and gluten-free cake.  She actually went to the trouble of washing the ice cream scoop and getting the ice cream out of a hitherto unopened box so there was no CC.  She knew so much about being gluten-free I thought she must be a coeliac - although she wasn't.

https://en-gb.facebook.com/driftersoflymington/

Full marks to the New Forest!

Nineflowers Rookie

Hello - nice to find fellow Brits.  This is literally going to be my first day starting to go gluten free. I'm waiting for biopsy results from my endoscopy this week but the more I read, the more convinced I am that gluten is worth dropping.  I also have PCOS and apparently gluten is bad for that...

No clue what I am doing with this and it all feels overwhelming. I usually shop in Aldis and Morrisons, as well as the market but may be visiting Holland & Barretts over the weekend, so any tips for what to look out for would be great!

Jmg Mentor

Hello :)

Obviously if you've had a scope you've been down the diagnostic road a stretch so forgive me saying, if you think there's any chance your Doctor will want further blood tests then hold off on going gluten-free! It just makes the diagnostic process so difficult. Particularly as if gluten is a problem for you, it can be much more of a problem if you're reintroducing it as part of a challenge. So, be sure before you cut it out!

That said, if you're going gluten-free then Aldi and Morrisons are good places to have available.

Aldi have a great list of foods, there's a link to it on this page: https://www.aldi.co.uk/special-diets/gluten  I've listed some of my favourites from them in this thread. If you go in the next few days they will have the last of the gluten-free pasta, bread, Cake, Brownie mixes, muesli, Biscuits etc that they had for Coeliac awareness month. Stock up! It's all good stuff and the prices are much better than the other supermarkets. 

Morrisons have a good free from section. They do nice biscuits and I often pop in there for a treat. 

In general however and certainly in the first few months it helps to shop as much as possible from the fresh section and keep the gluten-free processed foods to a minimum. They can be tough on the digestion and the gluten-free versions of bread, biscuits etc tend to be high in sugar and fat in comparison to the gluten versions. The bread is also not fortified so you miss out on B vitamins. Take a multi vitamin!

Finally, consider joining Coeliacs UK. They will send you a book with all the gluten-free foods split by type and by supermarket. It was my Bible for some time. Info is also available online and it means that a lot of foods that you're unsure of, that are in the 'regular' aisles become available to you. 

Good luck! There will always be help advice and support available here.

Matt

Nineflowers Rookie

Hi Matt

That's really confusing as I saw her earlier this evening and she told me to come off gluten for a month or so THEN go back for the blood test!  I thought this was odd so made her clarify - and she repeated it.

She also said something about the blood test being different to the biopsy - but am not sure how?  Now am really confused!

ETA: Just checked online and it says the biopsy is the gold standard for diagnosis so maybe she is thinking that is going to come back positive so I might as well cut out the gluten now?  (And will do no harm if it comes back negative??)  As I am awaiting the biopsy results, due in 3 - 4 weeks and she just said she'd do a blood test in around 4 weeks...  Do I even need the blood test anyway?  Is biopsy more reliable?

Edited by Nineflowers
clarification
Jmg Mentor

That's really confusing as I saw her earlier this evening and she told me to come off gluten for a month or so THEN go back for the blood test!  I thought this was odd so made her clarify - and she repeated it.

The blood test works by looking for the antibodies created when a celiac person eats gluten. You have to be eating gluten for the antibodies to appear. So this doesn't make sense!

If you were already diagnosed you could use the blood test to establish whether the gluten-free diet was working or to test adherence to the diet, but if celiac hasn't been established yet, telling you to go off gluten and then testing for it just doesn't make sense... :(

She also said something about the blood test being different to the biopsy - but am not sure how?  Now am really confused!

They're different of course. The biopsy is looking for damage to the intestines. The villi (strands which protrude from the intestinal wall and which absorb nutrients) can be damaged in celiac patients. The biopsy takes a sample of the wall to test for this.  The blood test as above is looking for antibodies which the immune system may have generated in the presence of gluten. 

ETA: Just checked online and it says the biopsy is the gold standard for diagnosis so maybe she is thinking that is going to come back positive so I might as well cut out the gluten now?  (And will do no harm if it comes back negative??)  As I am awaiting the biopsy results, due in 3 - 4 weeks and she just said she'd do a blood test in around 4 weeks...  Do I even need the blood test anyway?

Yes the biopsy is the gold standard. However you're describing a very atypical diagnostic process here. Typically you would have a blood test, then an endoscopy during which a number of biopsy's would be taken. You seem to have had this the other way round. 4 weeks also sounds a long time for results but that's by the by. 

My advice would be NOT to go gluten free until you have either a confirmed diagnosis or an exclusion and until this confusion is sorted out you stay on gluten. However there are others here with more experience but they may not see this tucked away in this British outpost of the forum :) So perhaps start a thread in the pre diagnosis section for more feedback. 

Jmg Mentor

Ah just found your other post

:) I will answer there!

• 4 months later...
Jmg Mentor

It's Tesco treat time again. The good news is they have a new chocolate gateau:

IDShot_540x540.webp

The bad news is that it has replaced the strawberry one and I'm not as keen on it...  I think this is in part because there's no shortage of chocolate desserts already whereas the strawberry one was something new. Anyway, it's 3 quid, very chocolatey and it gets a 6/10.

The fun doesn't stop there, they have eclairs! 

IDShot_225x225.webp

1.50 and they taste pretty much like the memory of eclairs :) I am exercising incredible willpower not to eat them all at once. I need to save room anyway for...

Drum roll...

IDShot_225x225.webp

Donuts! 1.50 for these as well. Not tried them yet.

This message brought to you by

6093b7fddb3248d179bf20829efde095--funny-

Victoria1234 Experienced
On 5/3/2017 at 8:41 AM, Jmg said:

curly wurlys

You guys seriously have something called curly wurlys? If so, I want to live in the U.K.....