This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

About Mcdonalds........

chrissy

chrissy Collaborator

i haven't commented on any of this stuff about McD's------we never eat there, but we might some day. i would hate to see a lawsuit happen-----is there anyway that we can publicly show support for all the restaurants that are trying to help those with celiac and allergies be able to "eat out"? maybe if it could be known that many celiacs don't agree with the lawsuit.............

christine

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

celiac3270 Collaborator

I agree--the law suits are frivilous, stupid, and ENTIRELY counter-intuitive to the goals of celiacs. Law suits of this nature are going to scare away McD's and other chains...

<<Below article deleted by user>>

psawyer Proficient

The majority of the members posting about this seem to say that, while the whole incident is upsetting, we don't want to see McDonald's (or any other food supplier for that matter) sued for trying in good faith to help us.

I don't know how we can get this message to the companies who need to hear it. There was a post a few days ago from lovegrov, quoting a statement from an official of an organization (GIG?) in the US which essentially says this.

A lawsuit will only benefit the law firms, on both sides of the case, who will collect huge fees. We celiacs will possibly get a few dollars while food suppliers will be deterred from making good faith statements that are intended to help us. At 1 person in 133, we are a very small part of the potential market. Why risk a suit over such a small base? Easier to just say, yeah, "There is probably wheat in everything, eat at your own risk!"

VydorScope Proficient

Well one think you could do, is orgazine all the major celiac disease groups, and get the word out to all the members that a class action lawsuit is bad for us. Then maybe get them to sign some legal breif teh MCD's lawyers could use in thier defense. Maybe? I dunno nutin about this stuff.

Rusla Enthusiast

All these greedy jerks wanting to sue everyone for every thing is going to come down to one thing. Everyone who buys anything at a grocery store or restaurant is going to end up signing waivers stating if they get sick that the place is not responsible. If I ran a restuarant in light of what is now taking place, I would now close my doors or make everyone sign waivers.

What we have out there are greedy people trying to make a quick buck.

jerseyangel Proficient
Well one think you could do, is orgazine all the major celiac disease groups, and get the word out to all the members that a class action lawsuit is bad for us. Then maybe get them to sign some legal breif teh MCD's lawyers could use in thier defense. Maybe? I dunno nutin about this stuff.

When I was telling my husband about all of this McD's stuff, he suggested we could be witnesses for the lawyers in a class action suit.

mmaccartney Explorer
The majority of the members posting about this seem to say that, while the whole incident is upsetting, we don't want to see McDonald's (or any other food supplier for that matter) sued for trying in good faith to help us.

Please note that McDonalds is NOT effected by the new food labeling laws, they are not a packaged foods provider, they are a resturant operator and do not need to comply with the new food labeling laws.

I'm on the fence on this whole issue.

Was McDonalds truly trying to help us in good faith?? I could only believe this IF they truly did not have knowledge about the ingredients until now. If they had no knowledge, no harm, no foul they've done good to find out the issues and report it to the public...though they could have been more vocal about the announcement.

BUT if they have always known these ingredients were there, and speculation is that they did due to other food facts they've lied and concealed in the past....

On one side, I can see that they spent the time and resources to investigate what they had in their foods and report their ingredients out to the public, something they were never required to do. Now they very quietly, without any public announncements changed their published ingredients. Only becuase allergics and celiacs monitor food ingredients so closely did this hit the news so fast.

If they were truly trying to help us they would have given us all the information about their ingredients, including the fact that they contained deriivites of milk and wheat. They could have informed us that, to the best of their knowledge, and scientific testing, they can state that the allergens, and gluten proteins have been fully removed from the french fries, and that they meet the Codex standard.

Had I had that knowledge, I could have made an informed decision about whether or not I wished, as a consumer, to take the risk of eating their french fries knowing that they contained derivitives of wheat and milk. However they didn't choose to do so, they chose to hide those ingredients, and misinform all of us.

I happen to be a person that has reacted to McDonalds french fries at times, and I believe my son has also. I am very picky about what I eat, and had I been told that the ingredients were what they were I would have *never* eaten their fries. *******That would have been my chioce, BUT McDonalds chose to make that choice for me, and take the ability for me to make that choice for my children away as well*****.

That is the biggest problem I see, they've taken away my ability to make an informed decision.

Now, I won't ben joining any lawsuits, nor will I sue McDonalds myself. But, I'm not going to jump on the bandwagon to fight the people who are.

How would you feel if a pharmaceutical company did the exact same thing, let us say for example that Tylenol came out this week and told us that Extra Strength tylenol has contained gluten all this time but they felt it was processed out???

Well, that's my 2 cents...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

penguin Community Regular

I hate to add yet more fuel to the fry fire, but, this is what McDonald's says on it's website in the nutritional info...

French Fries:

Potatoes, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, natural flavor (beef, wheat and dairy sources), dextrose, sodium acid pyrophosphate (to preserve natural color). Cooked in partially hydrogenated vegetable oils (may contain partially hydrogenated soybean oil and/or partially hydrogenated corn oil and/or partially hydrogenated canola oil and/or cottonseed oil and/or sunflower oil and/or corn oil). Contains derivatives of wheat and dairy, but has been verified by the University of Nebraska to be allergen and gluten free.

Open Original Shared Link

They aren't back on the gluten-free list they have...yet

Just thought I'd share :unsure:

Rusla Enthusiast

I was discussing this with another fellow and we had both commented on the ridiculousness of the law suits. He said his wife had loved milk and now no longer can drink it because she gets violently ill from it. These lawsuits on McDonalds are the same as if he tries to sue the farmer or the cow because his wife can no longer drink milk.

I am going to play the devils advocate on this one and risk being told I am hateful etc.

I an not one who likes big corporations having monopolies but I like unfairness more. These lawsuits areasinine to say the least. If you are getting sick from something you quit doing it, if you don't you suffer the consequences of your stupid actions.

These parents should be sued by their children for continuing to endanger their lives with things that they fed them that made them sick. Not only that but they were feeding them unhealthy greasy garbage on top of it and continued to do so. I suppose the flip side would be to have the parents charged with child endangerment and attempted murder. No one twisted their arms and made them feed the kids this stuff. If they were the least bit worried about their child being sick they should have made french fries at home instead.

I think perhaps if everyone wrote a letter to their local papers or even McDonalds stating that, as Celiacs we are against this and then stating our reasons might help. I am sure; as

people who are not out for the money grab, telling it like it is could garner as much media attention and help our cause more than,what these people are doing to defeat our cause.

Archived