This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Mcdonald's Fries - New Poll

VydorScope

McDonald's Fries - new poll  

70 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

VydorScope Proficient
Scientific evaluation by one of the world's leading experts on gluten sensitivity and allergenicity, Dr. Steven Taylor of the Food Allergy Research and Resource Program of the University of Nebraska, has confirmed again that our fries are gluten free and allergen free.

Based on this new info, share your vote and view. This way the votes are anonomus and if you do not want to risk getting flamed, then just vote and dont tell anyone. :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

dlp252 Apprentice

I'll risk posting, lol. I voted not until I get more information, although probably should have voted NO WAY. I did a quite stupid thing last week while visiting Disneyland. The bruhaha had all just started when I left on my trip. While in Disneyland I noticed McDonald's fries stands. I'm thinking, well the formula hasn't changed and I eat other fast food fries with no problem (stupid, I know)...so I tried some (even more stupid). Several hours later I had the worst pain in my gut which lasted all night. Now, it's possible that something else I ate that day was the culprit (had a turkey leg and ate out at a restaurant), but I won't risk it again and as a matter of fact, won't eat fries out at all now, lol.

VydorScope Proficient

(some more info)

MCDONALD'S MEDIA STATEMENT

February 20, 2006

MEDIA STATEMENT

We understand the concern that individuals in the Celiac community and

others with food allergies may have regarding foods that meet their

individual needs. That is why we are eager to provide them with the most

factual information we can.

Scientific evaluation by one of the world's leading experts on gluten sensitivity and allergenicity, Dr. Steven Taylor of the Food Allergy Research and Resource Program of the University of Nebraska, has confirmed again that our fries are gluten free and allergen free.

Based on this analysis, we believe the lawsuits filed are without legal merit.

- Jack Daly, Senior Vice President, McDonald's Corporation

Below is information from the CSA website: www.csaceliacs.org

CSA IS "Celiacs Helping Celiacs"

First Do No Harm

It has been brought to our attention that a family has brought suit against the McDonald's Corporation. CSA does not support this action.

What incentive will there be for restaurants to offer or continue to offer gluten-free menus or even provide voluntary information for customers?

McDonald's has been very proactive in providing information to help us make better food choices. When the disclosure of allergenic components, including natural ingredients, became law, McDonald's responsibly shared the information with the public. The food labeling law does not apply to restaurants. McDonald's has been one of the most understanding, cooperative food establishments on behalf of celiacs. They have worked very closely with CSA and those with celiac disease to learn about celiac disease and to provide the best information available.

The enormous public response can be interpreted that people want the term "gluten-free" to mean totally "free".

We are encouraging people to contact their local McDonald's franchises telling them how much it means to have gluten-free choices avalible for their family. Provide CSA contact information for assistance.

JSUT SHARING WHAT I WAS SENT BY THE LOCAL celiac disease GROUP. :D

VydorScope Proficient

Hmm big change in this vote from the previous one which was almost 100% no.

Carriefaith Enthusiast

I've always gotten sick after eating their fries so I voted NO WAY! NEVER!

mmaccartney Explorer
I've always gotten sick after eating their fries so I voted NO WAY! NEVER!

I'm with you Carriefaith, last time I ate them I had a severe reaction, so for me, and my family, NO WAY! NEVER!!!!

rmmadden Contributor

I've eaten McD's fries twice since going gluten-free and both times I had issues. The first time was last March around St. Pat's (Had To Have My Shamrock Shake :D ) and I had mild symptoms afterward. The other time was over the summer and I had terrible pains afterward. Based on these experiences I have obstained since then and will continue to do so.

Cleveland Bob B)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

plantime Contributor

I voted undecided on this one. I need more time to read the test results for myself. I didn't react to the fries when I ate them before, but I only eat them at the McD's my daughter works at!

jknnej Collaborator

I voted yes because I've eaten them for the past year and never gotten sick from them. Based on that fact and the fact that the expert said they were gluten free, that is enough for me.

However, I won't eat them regularly; only when traveling. I try to stay away from fried foods, anyway, but McD's is a must when driving 8-12 hours and really hungry! or when you're in a town you don't know and can't find a restaurant you know to be gluten-free.

VydorScope Proficient

Itresting that we are getting alot more yes's this time, I wonder if it has more ot do with the anonmous nature of this poll or the news about the nebraska testing.... :huh:

penguin Community Regular
Itresting that we are getting alot more yes's this time, I wonder if it has more ot do with the anonmous nature of this poll or the news about the nebraska testing.... :huh:

I'm guessing either:

1) the University of Nebraska tests

or

2) everyone is so sick of the discussion that they just don't give a damn anymore :rolleyes:

VydorScope Proficient
I'm guessing either:

a) the University of Nebraska tests

or

B) everyone is so sick of the discussion that they just don't give a damn anymore :rolleyes:

Maybe I should start a thread about it? :lol:

plantime Contributor

I'm thinking the increase in yes votes would be because the panic has worn off, and testing has been done. I still don't know, for me, but that may be because I am trying to lose weight, and fries are not good for that!

Moongirl Community Regular

no way, would be for me, it doesnt matter to me what kind of statements they come out with at this point, im listening to my body and not to what they say.

One week before this whole issue came up, I had their fries for the first time since my DX. I specifically asked the manager there if they used a dedicated fryer just to cover my own butt. BUT sure enough I got sick, and was sick with pains for a week and a half!

So regardless of the outcome, Im sayin NO, thats just my stomachs opinion ;)

Archived