This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Dairy-free Breakfast Ideas?

DingoGirl

DingoGirl Enthusiast

Hi all - I'm SO sad to have to give up dairy, hopefully it is temporary. :( I can handle the rest of the day, but I really don't know what to do about breakfast. You guys are awesome, anybody have any dairy-free breakfast hints? I can only think of peanut butter on gluten-free bread of gluten-free waffles......no more cottage cheese wtih fruit, yoghurt, milk on cereal (sniff). :( Breakfast is really important to me. I"m lost.

I would LOVE your suggestions....

Thanks!

Susan

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mango04 Enthusiast

Eggs, 365 Organic Rice Milk or almond milk with gluten-free cereal, Silk soy yogurt, fruit with almond or peanut butter, buckwheat groats, hot rice cereal, Bob's Red Mill mighty tasty hot cereal, Arrowhead Mills pancake mix, bacon or canadian bacon (all natural nitrite free is good), gluten-free muffins, fruit smoothies, alpsnak bars, clif nectar bars.

Earth Balance and 365 Organic Rice Milk are excellent dairy replacements. Blue Diamond almond milk is good as well. The only thing I don't know how to replace is the cottage cheese. Sometimes it also helps to think outside the box and eat lunch or dinner type foods for breakfast. Good luck!

Nevadan Contributor

How about a good gluten-free cereal with rice, almond, or soy milk? I found I much prefer these to regular milk anyway. Add some blueberries, banana, etc and you have a good healthy breakfast very quickly.

My preference for gluten-free cereal is "Mesa Sunrise" by Nature's Path - it's corn/amaranth/quinoa flakes.

George

momandgirls Enthusiast

My daughter has a shake for breakfast every morning. Do you have a blender? Whole Soy and Co. make shakes - they come in single serving plastic bottles in the refrigerated milk section. I've only found it at Whole Foods Market. They come in Strawberry, Raspberry and Apricot/Mango. My daughter loves them (I haven't tried them - I can't have dairy but I can't have soy either). Anyway, I put one in the blender with a banana. Or any type of juice (the necter type juices or orange seem to work best - peach, apricot, mango, raspberry, etc.) along with a banana and maybe some vanilla soy yogurt. Anyway, she's had one every morning for years now...

Guest cassidy

Every morning I make an omelette. It sounds more complicated than it is. I take egg beaters (everything but the southwest flavor - my favorite - are gluten-free) and take fresh spinach, ham and salsa and put it all in a small frying pan. It cooks up in about 3 minutes and I'm done. You can add whatever you like, but it is quick and filling and has veggies and protein so I consider it a healthy breakfast.

Guest nini

I eat two Enjoy Life Foods snack bars just about every morning for breakfast.

Foods by George has some gluten-free/Dairy Free baked goods like English Muffins and Blueberry Muffins, you can have the EM's with eggs and ham on them or jelly

Grits with jelly

Barkat's porridge with brown sugar and cinnamon OR applesauce

Hard Boiled Eggs

Left over dinner!

There are some gluten-free/Dairy Free cheese alternatives that are not bad, you just have to find them, if you have a Whole Foods near you that might be the best place to find them, also I used to use Rice Milk (make sure it's gluten-free), there are also almond milks and soy milks that are pretty good too.

Fruit! Any kind.

jenvan Collaborator

I don't do dairy and love rice milk on my cereal--I think its really good. I'd give it a try at least once if you haven't yet. Other ideas: gluten-free bar (like enjoylife), apple and peanut butter, fruit smoothie, frittata's on the go---bake eggs, veggies, meat, spices/herbs in muffin cups and bake. Then keep in fridge or freezer and heat-up in the morning.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

teankerbell Apprentice

I eat gluten-free corn flakes with raisins and vanilla flavored rice milk. Then I have some fruit - banana, apple, etc. Raw Almonds. gluten-free bagels! Yes, they are great! Rice Cakes with PBJ.

Guest stef 4 dogs
Hi all - I'm SO sad to have to give up dairy, hopefully it is temporary. :( I can handle the rest of the day, but I really don't know what to do about breakfast. You guys are awesome, anybody have any dairy-free breakfast hints? I can only think of peanut butter on gluten-free bread of gluten-free waffles......no more cottage cheese wtih fruit, yoghurt, milk on cereal (sniff). :( Breakfast is really important to me. I"m lost.

I would LOVE your suggestions....

Thanks!

Susan

Every morning I have an apple with peanut butter and an Ensure. Ensure is Lactose and gluten free! Around ten I'm a little hungry and I have a bannana or grapes. Maybe if you need protein in the Am you could try tuna fish, I know that's not great breakfast food, but it's high in omega 3's and you might not get hungry till lunch! I used to have a bagel and an apple every morning. I'm totally missing bread! Hope you get some good suggestions!

Stef 4 dogs :)

wolfie Enthusiast

I do gluten-free waffles, gluten-free bagels with PB & jelly, eggs or omlettes with veggie cheese, grits with veggie cheese or plain and sometimes gluten-free doughnuts (occasional treat). I also have a large glass of calcium & vitamin D fortified OJ. You could make pancakes and add blueberries or other fruit, nuts or DF chocolate chips. Pamela's Pancake & Baking mix is good (does have buttermilk in it, but I am sure there are DF ones out there too).

Good luck!

Kim

kabowman Explorer

My husband makes eggs with veggies and bacon every morning except one day a week and that day I eat cereal with rice milk. We precook the bacon so he only warms up enough each morning for a slice or two each.

germanguy Newbie

All kind of fruits... oranges, bananas, grapes, grapefruits, strawberries...!

Eggs, with bacon and veggies like kabowman! ;)

Sometimes I eat left overs from Dinner...

tarnalberry Community Regular

If you want to stick to the basics, use dairy-free butter substitutes on pancakes, soy/rice/nut milk on cereal, or soy yogurt. Other things I have:

peanut butter on rice cakes

hot cereal

pancakes/waffles with fruit jam

muffins (made the night before)

scrambled eggs (w/ or w/o a corn tortilla)

any sort of leftover from the night before

a smoothie with fruit and coconut milk

DingoGirl Enthusiast

THANK YOU, THANK YOU guys for those suggestions! Somehow I was just drawing a blank and kind of in a state of grief at not only losing GLUTEN, but then dairy. But, my stomach is about 3 inches flatter than yesterday....

I think that in heaven, there are great, fluffy clouds made of ice cream, BREAD, good fluffu gluten-filled muffins, homemade CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES, rice pudding.....and we will eat them all day with big glasses of milk!! :):):)

Susan

luceydiana Explorer

I love the Lara bars, banana cookie is my fav. That with fresh fruit.

jknnej Collaborator

envirokidz Peanut butter panda puffs cereal with Pacific Almond dairy free, soy free milk. Slice in a banana. Yum I eat this every morning and never get sick of it!

Archived