This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

What To Do After Accidentally Eating Gluten?

GabrielleM

GabrielleM Newbie

I've been diagnosed and gluten-free for a little under a year, but I still have some trouble eating 100% gluten-free. I try very hard to make sure everything I eat is gluten-free, but sometimes I still get sick. I assume it's because of cross-contamination or some ingredient I didn't know had gluten in it. Does anyone have any advice for how to feel better after accidentally eating gluten?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

WhimsiKay Apprentice

For feeling better: I drink Yogi Tea Green tea Kombucha, with Yogi Tea being the brand. I put honey in it, and then I heat up a heating pad -- like for muscles -- and wrap it over my abdomen. That helps a lot.

The best thing you can do is know that it will be over soon, and ride it out. Watch TV or do something that passes the time, and use distractions as best you can.

Okay, for staying away from gluten: There's a couple things you should take a look at. You didn't give a lot of detail, so I apologize if I go over ground you already have. =)

First, make sure the products -- not just the food -- you are using are gluten free. Shampoos, soaps, lotions, make-up, even dishwash detergent. Your pans and toaster and breadboards are all replaced, right? Colanders, non-stick pans, things like that, should have been replaced right away -- not everyone needs to, but I tend to be super-sensitive, so I had to.

Then look at every aspect of your day. What about your chapstick? Lipstick? Are you prone to putting your fingers in or around your mouth, or chewing on pens? (if you are, stop that! I did both, and would get sick a lot more than I do-- er, did until recently.)

Do you have an SO? If so, is your So gluten free too? My husband had to go gluten-free because not only was he starting to show rash symptoms with gluten, but he'd cheat, then touch me or kiss me, and I'd get sick! If your family or SO is not gluten free and they get their gluteny fingers on you or your stuff, you could get sick if your fingers or those items go by your mouth.

I hope this helps at all!!

GabrielleM Newbie
For feeling better: I drink Yogi Tea Green tea Kombucha, with Yogi Tea being the brand. I put honey in it, and then I heat up a heating pad -- like for muscles -- and wrap it over my abdomen. That helps a lot.

The best thing you can do is know that it will be over soon, and ride it out. Watch TV or do something that passes the time, and use distractions as best you can.

Okay, for staying away from gluten: There's a couple things you should take a look at. You didn't give a lot of detail, so I apologize if I go over ground you already have. =)

First, make sure the products -- not just the food -- you are using are gluten free. Shampoos, soaps, lotions, make-up, even dishwash detergent. Your pans and toaster and breadboards are all replaced, right? Colanders, non-stick pans, things like that, should have been replaced right away -- not everyone needs to, but I tend to be super-sensitive, so I had to.

Then look at every aspect of your day. What about your chapstick? Lipstick? Are you prone to putting your fingers in or around your mouth, or chewing on pens? (if you are, stop that! I did both, and would get sick a lot more than I do-- er, did until recently.)

Do you have an SO? If so, is your So gluten free too? My husband had to go gluten-free because not only was he starting to show rash symptoms with gluten, but he'd cheat, then touch me or kiss me, and I'd get sick! If your family or SO is not gluten free and they get their gluteny fingers on you or your stuff, you could get sick if your fingers or those items go by your mouth.

I hope this helps at all!!

Thank you so much! The heating pad & tea are a great idea.

slmprofesseur Apprentice

I drink peppermint tea or traditional medicinals eater's digest. It has peppermint and other hebs that are calming.

WhimisKay: Please read the labels on Yogi tea. I was debating whether to buy Yogi tea or Traditional Medicinals. I was looking at the ones for liver detox...and one of theirs had wheat in it! Since my stomach was already gurgling I went for the brand that has no wheat in any one. (I used traditional medicinals mother's milk tea while nursing.)

frec Contributor

I take Immodium if things go on for too long--otherwise I figure it's best to get rid of everything. I drink a lot of water to help sort of rinse out the toxins and to replace the fluids I, uh, lose. I eat very conservative safe foods for a few days like bananas and rice, Then I take extra acidophilus for about a week to get my intestinal flora back in order. I got glutened big time last week while on vacation and was continent enough to travel the next day.

• 2 weeks later...
GFinDC Veteran

I think if you know you have been glutened the best thing is to get rid of it as fast as possible. I think of gluetening as kind of like having a poison in your system. So, I think it is best to get the "poison" out fast and limit the damage. So, instead of an anti-diahrea product a laxative might be a better choice. Certainly not an option when out and about traveling or whatever though.

Salem Rookie

My reaction to gluten is extreme gas, pain and I feel like I should make a BM. but nothing happens. After 3 days of agony, I get D. I find that taking a laxative helps things move along. I don't always have 6-12 hours with nothing to do but wait for the pills to kick in. If I pop the pills early on, it shortens the sickness by about 3 days, but there is a danger of becoming dependent on laxatives, so don't go overboard!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ericajones80 Newbie

tea is my cure all...the heating pad is a great idea though I'll have to try that

• 2 years later...
GFshay Apprentice

I'm actually in the middle of my first experience getting glutened. I'm watching TV and just riding it out tonight, but was curious if there's anything people recommend I do or take for the pain. I'm drinking lots of water and using a heating pad, but what I'd really like is something to dull the stomach pains I'm having. Does anyone know if something like xanax would relax my insides? I think I'll try making some green tea, if I have some that is wheat free...

I was diagnosed only 2 days ago and have been trying to be gluten-free for the last week. I'm having a follow up with my primary doc next week and was curious if there's any Rx I could ask for to help with these episodes, when they do happen...

GFinDC Veteran

Try some Pepto Bismol. I take Pepto and plain old aspirin. I also take DPP-4 and I think it helps some. Lots of water and rest if you can. L-glutamin is supposed to help also. I never noticed any affect from it myself. There is also marshmallow root which is supposed to be soothing. If you are gassed up in the stomach peppermint is supposed to help relax the muscles. This does help me for gassy stomach issues. Altoids peppermints are ok. You also might do well to try some pro-biotics.

The Glutenator Contributor

I asked my GI about the Immodium conundrum. He said to go ahead and take it. It makes life after glutenation more manageable, and by the time the symptoms show the damage has been done.

• 7 months later...
rgarton Contributor

I'm actually in the middle of my first experience getting glutened. I'm watching TV and just riding it out tonight, but was curious if there's anything people recommend I do or take for the pain. I'm drinking lots of water and using a heating pad, but what I'd really like is something to dull the stomach pains I'm having. Does anyone know if something like xanax would relax my insides? I think I'll try making some green tea, if I have some that is wheat free...

I was diagnosed only 2 days ago and have been trying to be gluten-free for the last week. I'm having a follow up with my primary doc next week and was curious if there's any Rx I could ask for to help with these episodes, when they do happen...

To help ease stomach cramps, well the pain, i use rose massage oil, i was slightly skeptical but it really helped me, i just rubbed it (warm!) clockwise on my abdomen until it turned slightly pink then replaced my heating pad :)

taysic Rookie

Try activated charcoal to absorb it so it just passes through your gut!!

• 4 months later...
gfpatty Newbie

It seems everyone reacts a little differently. I was diagnosed with Celiac 9 months ago and had my first "glutened" experience about a week ago. It took about 12 hours after eating something from Chili's gluten-free menu to get sick. It was a severe reaction. The whole experience lasted 7 days. Just getting better today. I took something called "gluten flam" which I ordered online to help my digestive system. All I can say is, it wasn't fun and not eating out for a long time.

• 2 months later...
Jaimiejo Newbie

It seems everyone reacts a little differently. I was diagnosed with Celiac 9 months ago and had my first "glutened" experience about a week ago. It took about 12 hours after eating something from Chili's gluten-free menu to get sick. It was a severe reaction. The whole experience lasted 7 days. Just getting better today. I took something called "gluten flam" which I ordered online to help my digestive system. All I can say is, it wasn't fun and not eating out for a long time.

I also had a terrible experience at Chilli's. I ordered off of their gluten free menu and discussed it with the waiter and then my meal came with a piece of toast laying right on top of half of my steak!!! Needless to say I don't think they understand or care about the severity of gluten to people on a gluten-free diet.

• 1 month later...
Gonzo-Vision Newbie

The longest I have been sick for was 1 month when I ate gluten infested chicken fingers in Seoul. It was one of the hardest months of my life. I tried laxatives, tea and lots of sleep but nothing helped. To bad there wasn't a pill we could take so that we could enjoy gluten again.

I'm also lactose intolerant and it's nice to just take a pill whenever I want a glass of milk.

• 1 year later...
becksterryo Newbie

Try some Pepto Bismol. I take Pepto and plain old aspirin. I also take DPP-4 and I think it helps some. Lots of water and rest if you can. L-glutamin is supposed to help also. I never noticed any affect from it myself. There is also marshmallow root which is supposed to be soothing. If you are gassed up in the stomach peppermint is supposed to help relax the muscles. This does help me for gassy stomach issues. Altoids peppermints are ok. You also might do well to try some pro-biotics.

Altoids are not gluten free they contain wheat so they are not ok to eat

GFinDC Veteran

Altoids are not gluten free they contain wheat so they are not ok to eat

Hi

In the USA the peppermint Altoids are gluten-free.  They may not be gluten-free in other countries though.  So that is something to watch out for.

Open Original Shared Link

INGREDIENTS:SUGAR, GUM ARABIC, ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, GELATIN, CORN SYRUP, NATURAL FLAVOR, RED 40.

Wrigley's goal is to keep our online nutrition information up-to-date and accurate. However, we always recommend that you check our labels, or call 1-800-WRIGLEY, for the most up-to-date ingredient and nutritional information.

EmiPark210 Contributor

I have a really bad coping mechanism: I drink a glass or two of wine. Most of my initial symptoms are more psychological in nature (dizziness, tingling limbs, disorientation, etc.) so to keep myself from over-thinking everything that's happening and making it worse by becoming psychosomatically ill (illness without physical causes, based in psychology), I kind of induce the same symptoms through a little bit of alcohol. I also get rid of or away from whatever the culprit was.

For the rest of the time until my body decides it's done with the gluten and I need a bathroom ASAP, I try to do things to help alleviate the pain from bloating and keep my anti-spasms on me in case of a colon-spasm attack, which sometimes happens. Also, crappy movies and warm blankets help. It's really about waiting out the storm. 

• 3 years later...
Shanti Newbie

I was diagnosed with celiac disease in 2010 I am normally way more careful.I used the wrong chicken bullion on Wednesday 1/11/17 and I have been sick ever since it is now Monday 1/16/17 and I am absolutely miserable.  I am barely eating, The abdominal cramps have not subsided. I have tried tea, Pepto, ginger, digestive enzymes, and of corse lots of water. I don't know what else to do. 

cyclinglady Grand Master
58 minutes ago, Shanti said:

I was diagnosed with celiac disease in 2010 I am normally way more careful.I used the wrong chicken bullion on Wednesday 1/11/17 and I have been sick ever since it is now Monday 1/16/17 and I am absolutely miserable.  I am barely eating, The abdominal cramps have not subsided. I have tried tea, Pepto, ginger, digestive enzymes, and of corse lots of water. I don't know what else to do. 

So sorry to hear that you were glutened.  It happens to the best of us!  

I cope by eating well-cooked, easy-to-digest foods (think crockpot) like soups and stews.  While I am feeding my family gluten-free, I am eating my mushy food!  I am fine as long as I don't eat, but I have to eat.  I also found (have been glutened twice as measured by follow-up antibodies tests) that I become temporarily lactose intolerant.  My glutenings seem to last for a long time.  I hope you recover much faster!  

GFinDC Veteran

Hi Shanti,

You could try  some Milk of Magnesia to help move things out.  I think eating more rather than less is helpful.  If you have lots of gluten free food in your gut it can kind of thin-out the gluteney stuff in theory.  The last thing you want is to not eat and have all that gluten hanging out in your gut.  Pepto can help coat the gut and hopefully reduce irritation.  But it is something you would have to take every few hours to feel and effect.  Pepto has aspirin in it so don't exceed the recommended dosage.

Peppermint tea may help too.

Archived