This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Sores On Scalp

Q1821

Q1821 Apprentice

i have been gluten-free for over year now and i stll get these painful zit like sores in my head. i only get them in my scalp and as soon as they heal new ones form. they bleed only after they produce yellow discharge and sometimes they come to a head. i don't know what they are from. anyone else have these? i don' have insurance to see a doctor and i would feel better if i knew i wasn't alone with this problem, thanks ya'll

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

KristaleeJane Contributor

Yes I get them on my scalp especially all around my hair line and neck, I have long hair. I have come to the conclusion that it is from my hair care. The more I use the more I break out. So I usually change my shampoo conditioner, and styling products until I find something that works.

Sometimes I call the company and even though it doens't say it in the ingredients, I have found that It can be hidden in Vit E, being derived from Wheat Germ oil.

Sucks but more than likely this is the culpirt.

ohsotired Enthusiast

I get these too, as well as an incredibly itchy scalp. I'm still searching for the "right" hair products for me.

But I agree with KristaleeJane - I think it's from hidden Vit E.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Those sores are no fun. I have to agree with the previous post. I also get incredible itching from soy. GRRRRRRR that really complicates the shampoo and conditioner issue. I also avoid any that have vitamin E, that is always a problem for me. I have had some success with castile shampoo and for conditioning I many times will use a cocoa butter with jojoba oil by NOW. That is all that is in it. I will use it to moisturize my skin and then run my hands through my hair. Warm olive oil also makes a soothing hair treatment, just don't use a lot. I put it in and then wrap my head in a towel for bit then shampoo.

There are a lot of shampoos and conditioners and dyes that are safe. Giovanni makes some nice ones as long as your okay with soy. Suave and Dove don't hide it from what I understand. If you have any particular ones that you want to know about you could post a query under products or do a search. Your not alone so there are lots of options that others can clue you in on.

ohsotired Enthusiast

Just wanted to chime back in and say that I'm currently using Dove shampoo and conditioner, and while it doesn't contain the vit E or the hydrolized wheat protein, it does have sodium laurel sulfate (SLS) in it, which bothers my skin........it may not bother you, though.

The castille soap works great as a shampoo, but leaves my hair feeling almost too clean, if that makes any sense. I have to use a conditioner afterwards, to make it softer and more manageable.

whitball Explorer

I have had this problem for several years. The problem seems to have gotten worse as have gotten older. Is this the start of DH? I did not realize that vitE has wheat in it! Good information thanks. I have been using baby shampoo, but it seems to work well at first when my hair is freshly cut, but as it grows, the sores being again.

DinaB Apprentice

I am new to all of this, but have suffered as well with itchy scalp, which usually comes from any hair care products that have wheat or oats in them. I went SLS free for a long time, but hair didn't feel right. I use Jason Fragrance Free products and they work wonderfully. Now, the only time I get an itchy scalp is from eggs, vinegar or soy. :o

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

babysteps Contributor
I am new to all of this, but have suffered as well with itchy scalp, which usually comes from any hair care products that have wheat or oats in them. I went SLS free for a long time, but hair didn't feel right. I use Jason Fragrance Free products and they work wonderfully. Now, the only time I get an itchy scalp is from eggs, vinegar or soy. :o

Second that, once I went fragrance free as well as gluten-free my scalp & back (long hair) did MUCH better.

I use Person and Covey brand, but I think anything gluten-free and ff would work for me. A Celiac Newsletter just mentioned that I think Dessert Essences has launched a whole line of personal care products that are gluten-free, fragrance free and without-whatever-chemical-is-most-icky-this -month (maybe SLS?).

RiceGuy Collaborator

It does sound possibly related to hair care products, though it is also possibly caused by things like dairy, soy, corn, nuts, etc. Other food allergies, or even a yeast infection might do it too I suppose.

KristaleeJane Contributor

Hello All

Here is a response I received from Jason Products. I noticed DinaB you said you used some of these products, thought you might like to read over. I was using one of their products

Satin Soap for Hands and Face & Vitamin E Oil 5000 IU,which turned into the biggest breakout all over me as I was using it as a body wash, it took over a month to clear up, and that is what made me call the company, because nothing on the ingredient list made me think their would be gluten in there.

Dear Ms. MACDOUGALL,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us regarding our Jason Product. We strive to maintain the highest quality products and appreciate your patronage.

Jason Products Containing Gluten - does NOT include the EB Baby line of products. Always review the labels, since this information can change.

Hand & Body Therapy Lotions MAY contain gluten.

Review label for Oat Starch

All Hair Care Products

Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein

All Body Powders

Hydrolyzed Oat Protein

Satin Soap for Hands and Face & Vitamin E Oil 5000 IU

Wheat Germ oil

Thank you for your continued support of Jason Natural Products. If we can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact us at 1-877-JASON-01 (527-6601), Monday through Friday from 7AM - 5PM Mountain Time.

Sincerely,

George

Consumer Relations Representative

Ref # 1708448

*** Please consider the environment before printing this email. ***

**This e-mail is sent by The Hain Celestial Group, Inc and/or one of its subsidiaries. The information and attachments contained in this e-mail message may contain privileged and confidential information and is for the exclusive and confidential use of the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby requested not to read, distribute, copy or take action in reliance upon this communication. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by telephone or return e-mail and delete this e-mail and any attachments from your computer system.**

ang1e0251 Contributor

I have had the scalp sores for many years. I stopped using shampoo maybe 9 years ago. I "wash" my hair with a conditioner, rinse, then apply apple cider vinegar. I leave that to soak my scalp while I take care of other business. Finally I rinse and apply a very small amount of heavy conditioner, my hair is very thick. The vinegar leaves your hair very soft and shiney, I Love It! I condition to comb through the curly stuff. Of course vinegar is strong smelling but after rinsing and drying, there is only a clean smell.

I hope this helps!

Archived