This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Angel Food Ministries Allergen Free Box

TrillumHunter

TrillumHunter Enthusiast

We've now eaten a couple of the things. We've had the chicken nuggets and chicken fried steak. Okay, so this stuff is not health food!!! It's funny when you aren't accustomed to fried foods how much heavier they seem. The chicken nuggets were just like I remember fast food nuggets. Very soft, processed chicken with a mild taste. We baked them and they were sort of crispy but if you fried them I bet they would be very crispy. The chicken fried steak--it didn't have any directions except for deep frying so I had to wing it. I baked them at 375. The taste was good but boy, were they greasy. I would buy this stuff again but I can't see these things becoming a regular part of our diet. It's more like a very occasional fried food feast. The value compared to purchasing these things in the store is EXCELLENT!

By the way, I got a produce box from them and it was terrific! Very high, quality fruits and veggies. The best tangerines I've had all season.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

chasbari Apprentice

Very disappointed in the box of meat we got from them as they all have additives. Good value if none of those things bother you but it was the pork chops that gave me my first official glutening. The pre made meals have been great for my elderly parents though and they are good value-wise.

• 1 month later...
VioletBlue Contributor

I was wondering if anyone had tried the allergen box.

I was terribly disappointed when I saw it was all breaded meat. I don't eat breaded anything anymore no matter what it's breaded with. That's just something I got out of the habit of years ago when I went gluten-free.

I've tried emailing them, I've tried talking to the local reps in my area but they did not respond to the email and the local people were downright hostile. They didn't get it. They didn't understand why I was reluctant to commit to a product who's ingredients I couldn't know ahead of time and who's manufacturer wouldn't specifically say the product was made in a gluten-free factory.

I seriously don't get it except to think that they didn't bother to actually talk to anyone who has true allergy issues before they created this so called Allergen Box. They don't understand the problem. I mean all they had to do was offer PLAIN meat and veggies and we'd be thrilled most of us. Hell, I'd be happy with a 3 lb chub of hamburger. But I can't even buy the vegetable box without buying one of the other boxes which I can't eat.

I mean I know, they're not required to live up to my standards and specifications, but the box they're offering is essentially useless to most Celiacs I know. I could sure use the help right now because times are tight and I lost a big chunk of income a few months ago, but this is just useless and it's frustrating that they're not willing to listen or at least talk to real people with allergen issues. Why bother doing it if they're not going to get it right?

Very disappointed in the box of meat we got from them as they all have additives. Good value if none of those things bother you but it was the pork chops that gave me my first official glutening. The pre made meals have been great for my elderly parents though and they are good value-wise.
celiackitcat Newbie

I don't know if this helps you, but the Allergy Free foods come from the AllergyFree Foods Company. Their website is allergyfreefoods.com; if you have more questions contacting them might be your best bet.

ang1e0251 Contributor

I'm sorry you had a bad experience with Angel Food. I'm in charge for my church and I always try to address questions. You can go to the Angel Food website for the ingredients listed but this month, my menu had them added.

I agree that I would prefer a nonbreaded box. You can combine your order with a friend's to get what you want. I don't oppose that but you may need to keep it under your hat in your location.

If you email Angel Food directly, it would probably be more effective than speaking to someone.

VioletBlue Contributor

I did email Angel Food directly. I never received a response.

That was when I contacted the local organization who couldn't tell me who made the breaded meat but just assured me it was gluten free. I don't believe anyone anymore unless I know the comany or can research them and can actually see the ingredient list. I've been at this too long now and been glutened to often by the assurances of people who didn't know or truly understand the problem.

I'd really prefer to not have to lie to buy from them. That is in effect what I'd be doing if I paid someone else to order a vegetable box for me. Why they can't just offer that by itself? Surely there are vegetarians out there who need help now too?

I'm sorry you had a bad experience with Angel Food. I'm in charge for my church and I always try to address questions. You can go to the Angel Food website for the ingredients listed but this month, my menu had them added.

I agree that I would prefer a nonbreaded box. You can combine your order with a friend's to get what you want. I don't oppose that but you may need to keep it under your hat in your location.

If you email Angel Food directly, it would probably be more effective than speaking to someone.

TrillumHunter Enthusiast

When I bought it there was a link on the Angel Food website to the company that made the foods. It wasn't hidden or anything. The box says on the outside "Allergy Free Foods Company." You can google them and read all about them and their practices.

As far as the veg goes, those are extras and an individual can order as many as they want. Your friend can place their order and get a box for you. I cannot imagine them giving you a hard time as these boxes help to support the meal boxes.

I'm sorry you're having a difficult time with them. My experience was great and they were very helpful. I didn't really like the gluten-free foods they offered but the veg box was fantastic.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mommida Enthusiast

:D I was very happy with the allergen box. I do have kids. The breaded meats were a big hit with them. It was fast for me to make up for dinner. I personally don't care for breaded meats, but served the chicken patties with gluten-free spaghetti and mozzarella cheese. :P

If you want to order just the plain veggie or steaks, just hook up with a friend who is willing to order one of the 3 basic box options. Or contact your local group to see what can be worked out. (If one group isn't friendly, it doesn't mean every group is like that.) ;)

Archived