This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Had Repeat Egd

Roda

Roda Rising Star

I just got back from my repeat EGD. I had it done because since Jan. I've been miserable. Well they found a small stomach ulcer :o, esophageal changes (not suprised since I've been having reflux), and mild inflamed small bowel, which he said he expected, but it visually looked better than last time. He took more biopsies in the small bowel and in stomach for H pylori. So we'll see. He gave me a RX for zantac to take twice a day. I'm not sure where to go from here. (Yuo'll have to excuse me and my spelling since I'm still a little drunk from the anethesia :lol: ) I can understand some things making the reflux worse because of the ulcer, but I'm not sure what is causing all the horrible bloating and diarrhea. Can your glutened symptoms change? I usually get reflux and constipation. I'm thinking of going back and starting from scratch and do a fairly clean diet with bland things to help out the healing of the ulcer. I'm worried that the small bowel biopsy will not look better. If not there is going to be more crack down at my house. Of course I don't know if all this could be causing the nagging tugging pain (mild and bearable) that I have in the RUQ. I'm feeling a little discouraged and upset about all of this.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Roda Rising Star

Hubby and I had a good talk about the shared house. Personally I would like for all of it to be gone and they can eat gluten outside of the home. Well he got very upset about it saying it wasn't fair to "ban" it from the house for only one person. I got equally mad and said I live here and I have every right to be able to not be sick from their stuff! :angry: He say that if I'm getting cross contamination it wasn't from him more likely the kids. Yes I do agree the kids probably contribute more, but he does too. He put a pizza box and breadstick bag in the fridge and I had to clean out the fridge. I'm already frustrated. He agreed to step up more and better police the kids and hopefully himself. When I feed them I don't give them gluten things because I don't want to worry about it. When they do, I make them sit at the table with it on something and when done go wash. Not happening when daddy is watching. I also think dairy is causing the D and bloating problem. I made an accidental discovery today. I had some cottage cheese and strawberries and later whent out for icecream. My stomach did not feel to good after that and later belly distension and the loose stool. So I've decided to eliminate major sources of dairy for now until the ulcer and inflammation calm down. I am also not going to eat alot of the mainstream grocery items(reported gluten free) that I have been. Even though we have squeeze bottles for all of our condiments, I'm getting my own separate ones just to see if that helps. I'm sure the outsides are contaminated, and I don't want to worry about it incase I forgot to wash. Ahh, I need to loose more weight anyway. :P I think that since I had the D, most likely from the dairy, that I did not think it was a gluten issue since I usally have the opposite. Well maybe it isn't, but I can't think of any other reason right now for the inflammation in the bowel.

Wolicki Enthusiast

Roda

Glad you got that over with! I think pursuing the gluten free household is worthwhile. Maybe try it like this with hubby: If I were allergic to peanuts, would you all be slurping down peanut butter? I don't think they are taking wheat intolerance as seriously as "allergies" would be taken. It could possibly be cc that is causing your inflammation. Try to reason with them to get them to at least be a lot more careful.

Definitely a good idea to stay away from dairy. I've found that even if I get trace amounts of gluten, dairy has to go for a while. I had some fries that were not in a dedicated fryer on Saturday (doh!) and now dairy is no good.

Staying away from the gluten free replacement foods is probably a good idea, too. When I was still inflamed, my system couldn't handle them.

Good luck with the fam!

Janie

Roda Rising Star

Thanks. Funny thing is, I was not even going to register for the exam. The doctor's office had me scheduled over a month ago, and I've been insistent it's not gluten and that it was my gallbladder. I had a rough three weeks with the bloating and D that I went back last Mon to the doctor. He was pretty insistent that I have it done. Glad I did. I know that he (hubby) won't go for a gluten free house but I think now he has a really good idea what this can do if your not careful. He knows that it isn't a "fad" and it is as real as people with allergies, but since reactions are not immediate people in general think we can be slack. I really am optimistic that it is going to get better. I don't think he wants to hear me complain I don't feel good anymore! :lol: He puts up with it because he knows that for better or worse we support each other. I've tried to mention him to try a gluten free diet for a period of time, but he won't. He thinks it is all a gi issue, since, that and anemia is how I presented. I tried to explain that in some people it manifests neurologically. His family history, has alot of mental disorders including bipolar so it is not unreasonable. He has always been a moody person and has had his own bout and struggle with depression before. But if he buckles down and really gets more serious, then I'll accept that.

Wolicki Enthusiast

Roda

Are you careful about kissing him after he has one of his gluten fests? :lol:

Roda Rising Star

Roda

Are you careful about kissing him after he has one of his gluten fests? :lol:

For kisses on the fly, I'll just give him a peck on the cheek. If we really want to kiss he has to go and brush his teeth and use mouth wash. We have not been doing much kissing lately since we both just got over colds. Now he has a sore throat and may be starting to get white spots on his tonsils, so no thanks I don't want tonsillitis. Both the kids just got over strep and he is usually suseptible to it. I just wish he would go to the darn doctor! :rolleyes:

Wolicki Enthusiast

Ya know, there is a country and western song about that :lol: You can't beat em up cuz they're bigger than you, you can't live with em and you just can't shoot em, men! Talking bout men!

Seriously, what is the deal with men and doctors? My boyfriend of 6 years is a fitness nut. 6 pack abs at 55 years old, exercise fiend and healthy eater. But he won't go to the doctor unless he is completely dying! I've been trying to get him to go get his baseline colonoscopy that you're supposed to have at 50 and I am still cajoling. My Dad died from complications of colon cancer at 64, so I had my first at 40. They don't listen, just suffer through it. Think it's a function of testosterone? Sheesh!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

I don't know how old your kids are so I'm not sure how much they can help themselves. I have put all the bread, crackers, cereal & gluton toaster on or under 1 counter. They try to make sandwiches, pour out crackers, etc on that counter. They can then eat at the table or take the crackers to the basement "play area". Mine are 17 & 14 so they can wipe up crumbs & vacuum the basement. We have to work on the safest way to clean up after eating, but at least I know where the crumbs are.

I have red tape that I put all over my own butter tub, jelly etc. You could pick pink - lots of colors. I even have a purple scrub sponge for my stuff only. They pour out chips that I might eat. Get the cheese cut & put away before the crackers are taken out -Most of the time. We are working on it. They try because none of them want to hear a detailed anatomical description of what gluten does to my intestines.

Roda Rising Star

I don't know how old your kids are so I'm not sure how much they can help themselves. I have put all the bread, crackers, cereal & gluton toaster on or under 1 counter. They try to make sandwiches, pour out crackers, etc on that counter. They can then eat at the table or take the crackers to the basement "play area". Mine are 17 & 14 so they can wipe up crumbs & vacuum the basement. We have to work on the safest way to clean up after eating, but at least I know where the crumbs are.

I have red tape that I put all over my own butter tub, jelly etc. You could pick pink - lots of colors. I even have a purple scrub sponge for my stuff only. They pour out chips that I might eat. Get the cheese cut & put away before the crackers are taken out -Most of the time. We are working on it. They try because none of them want to hear a detailed anatomical description of what gluten does to my intestines.

The kids are 5 and 9. Little one don't get it, but the oldest one understands but forgets. I will let them help themselves to stuff only if their hand are washed and they know food that is safe for everyone is on the bottom three shelves in the pantry. The gluten stuff is on the very top only. They have a dedicated section of counter and their own toaster and even some separate cook/bakeware. It is just that dh does not police them well enough. I told him that they HAVE to stay at the table or on their play table. That way there is one place to clean, not all over the house. As some of the other stuff you describe it sounds like our house with dh. He will get his lunch meat, cheese etc all out on a paper towel first before getting his bread and crackers out. I've been reading that some people have problems with Bob's products. In another post someone said they process their gluten free oats in the gluten free facility. I'll have to check on the specifics. I'm sensitive to gluten free oats, so maybe there is something to that.

GFinDC Veteran

Hi Roda,

I think you are on the right track with thinking about other possible intolerances. Dairy and soy are a couple that I'd think are worth eliminating for a while. Dairy is such a common problem for us, and soy is also. Lots of the gluten-free products have soy in them too. If you are eating something every day that is irritating your system, then it will react to just about anything. Kind of a hair trigger response.

Anyway, I suggest looking at the top 8 food allergens and eliminating them all for a couple weeks. Then add them back in one at a time for 3 to 5 days before adding another. Except soy, I would never add that back in, it's bad stuff.

I am pretty sensitive to gluten, and have the usual bad reactions to it. But I can feed my cat gluteny cat food every day and just wash my hands afterward. No problem. So I tend to think it is something else bothering yuor system, most likley something you eat every day. If you only look for gluten issues you may never find the problem food.

I hope you find an answer soon! :)

Roda Rising Star

Well I havn't officially be notified of my biopsy results, but I printed it out tonight.

A Duodenum, third part biopsy:

1. Benign small bowel mucosa with focal lymphoid aggregate.

2. Negative for acute inflammation, prominent lymphocyte exocytosis, or malignancy. See comment.

B Stomach, body,biopsy:

1. Body type mucosa with mild chronic inflammation.

2. Negative for intestinal metaplasia, dysplasia or malignancy.

3. Negative for helicobacter pylori (Diff-Quik stain).

C. Esophagus, distal, biopsy:

1. Gastric mucosa with mild chronic inflammation.

2. Negative for intestinal metaplasia, dysplasia or malignancy.

3. No esophageal squamous mucosa seen.

Comment

A. The clinical impression of celiac disease is noted. The biopsy shows lamina propria is slightly expanded by benign lymphiod aggregate and unremarkable lymphoctes. No prominent lymphocyte exocytosis villi blunting are noted. if clinical suspicion of celiac disease is high, recommend serum antibody test, such as anti-endomysial antibiody test.

My understanding on A is that the bowel has lymphoid tissue in it in patches so that is nothing to be worried about. If there is no villi blunting noted then I guess I'm doing decent with avoiding gluten. On C it was an esophagus biopsy, so I'm wondering why they don't see it. It appears that the sample is stomach? And as for B and C I'm hopeful with the meds they put me on will clear up the inflammation and the ulcer he saw. Since the H. pylori is not the cause of the ulcer and I don't take asprin at all and ibuprofen here and there, I would like his opinion on what is causing the reflux/ulcer. I am feeling a little bit relieved, but will feel even better after I talk with the doctor. I need to find out how long to take the medicine. I can tell when it is time to take the next dose of zantac because I start belching and my stomach aches. I'm on day two of being dairy free also. I have not been bloated up so I'm hopeful I will be able to add it back in after some time. We had salad tonight with chicken and veggies and It bugged me not to put feta on it. It was still good though. :lol:

Wolicki Enthusiast

Roda

do you frequently take Nsaids or aspirin? How's your stress level?

Janie

Roda Rising Star

Roda

do you frequently take Nsaids or aspirin? How's your stress level?

Janie

I never take asprin, but when I get pms cramps or the dreaded headaches that last for days I will take ibuprofen. When I do take it I usually take three at a time a couple of times a day. Last time I had my bad headache I took the ibuprofen and it actually hurt my stomach. I don't think I take an excessive amount maybe once a month when Aunt Flo visits and only the first day. I had to suck it up this time because of the biopsy. The headaches come on every month or so and last anywhere for 2-4 days. I was taking more when I first started exercising because my ankles were swelling. I did this off and on for a week or so and I have had a couple bouts with my headache which now I believe may be a form of a migraine. So I may be taking more than I thought, so it is a possibility. But I don't take it on a daily basis and only take it if I can't stand the pain any more. As for the stress, I suppose working nights is getting to me a little. Sleeping is getting more irregular. I need to ask if I can take ibuprofen anymore or should I use tylenol.

gary'sgirl Explorer

About the cross contamination thing. Here's my theory: washing dishes with gluten particles on them in the same water/dishwasher as dishes that will be used for gluten free meals may leave traces of gluten on all dishes. I noticed the other day that sometimes my dishes come out of the dishwasher with specks or crumbs on them and although I rewash those dishes I was thinking that there could be trace amounts left on the dishes that can't be seen some times.

Does anyone else have any thoughts on that? I may just be super paranoid. :)

'

Gemini Experienced

About the cross contamination thing. Here's my theory: washing dishes with gluten particles on them in the same water/dishwasher as dishes that will be used for gluten free meals may leave traces of gluten on all dishes. I noticed the other day that sometimes my dishes come out of the dishwasher with specks or crumbs on them and although I rewash those dishes I was thinking that there could be trace amounts left on the dishes that can't be seen some times.

Does anyone else have any thoughts on that? I may just be super paranoid. :)

'

Running dishes through a dishwasher or washing them by hand with a good soap will not leave any residue to worry about. I wouldn't consider this a paranoia...just a genuine question by someone looking for answers. :D

Read Dr. Peter Green's book entitled: Celiac Disease: The Hidden Epidemic. He addresses all these issues and evens says that you do not need to have separate dishes and utensils...that's what soap is for. I have followed his medical advice and found he is 100% correct with it. However, I did replace my wooden spoons with new ones when diagnosed..gave me a good excuse to do so.

If you wash your dishes well (I rinse mine thoroughly before loading the dishwasher)then this should not be cause for concern.

gary'sgirl Explorer

Running dishes through a dishwasher or washing them by hand with a good soap will not leave any residue to worry about. I wouldn't consider this a paranoia...just a genuine question by someone looking for answers. :D

Read Dr. Peter Green's book entitled: Celiac Disease: The Hidden Epidemic. He addresses all these issues and evens says that you do not need to have separate dishes and utensils...that's what soap is for. I have followed his medical advice and found he is 100% correct with it. However, I did replace my wooden spoons with new ones when diagnosed..gave me a good excuse to do so.

If you wash your dishes well (I rinse mine thoroughly before loading the dishwasher)then this should not be cause for concern.

Thanks for the book suggestion - I've been wanting some ideas on good books about Celiac.

Archived