This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Seborrheic Dermatitis

kenlove

kenlove Rising Star

Went to see the doc today because of a rash starting on my face that is not DH. He said it was seborrheic dermatitis a form of dandruff and gave me some OTC suggestions for scrubs and shampoos. He then started to get into possible causes which no one is really sure of, It is thought to be caused by malnutrition and current studies suggest lack of Vitamin E might be one cause.

As anyone had any experience or heard of this being tied to celiac?

thanks much

Ken

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mushroom Proficient

I don't know about tie-ins, Ken, but I had sebhorreic dermatitis long before I realized was gluten intolerant. And nothing they gave me for it ever worked :( I still have a horrible scalp even though my scalp psoriasis has cleared up the SD is still there.

• 2 weeks later...
rosetapper23 Explorer

After being glutened in April, my scalp developed what appeared to be a flaky, fungal-type infection. It turned out to be from a zinc deficiency, and after taking the amino acid chelated form of zinc, the condition went away after about a month. Other symptoms of zinc deficiency can include hairloss, breakouts around the mouth area, and floppy tendons (which can result in stress fractures of the feet, if there's a severe deficiency).

I don't know if this is related to your problem, but every bit of knowledge helps....

kenlove Rising Star

Thanks much-- guess I should get my zinc levels checked.

I keep hearing that its caused by low levels of various things but nothing concrete ever seems to come across.

thanks again.

After being glutened in April, my scalp developed what appeared to be a flaky, fungal-type infection. It turned out to be from a zinc deficiency, and after taking the amino acid chelated form of zinc, the condition went away after about a month. Other symptoms of zinc deficiency can include hairloss, breakouts around the mouth area, and floppy tendons (which can result in stress fractures of the feet, if there's a severe deficiency).

I don't know if this is related to your problem, but every bit of knowledge helps....

kenlove Rising Star

Thanks mushroom. doc said the SD was caused by low nutrient levels and will run some tests. The low levels I suspect are from the celiac.

take care

I don't know about tie-ins, Ken, but I had sebhorreic dermatitis long before I realized was gluten intolerant. And nothing they gave me for it ever worked :( I still have a horrible scalp even though my scalp psoriasis has cleared up the SD is still there.

rosetapper23 Explorer

Ken,

More often then not, celiac presents multiple mysteries when odd symptoms pop up. Nutritional deficiencies can cause an array of symptoms where it can be difficult to determine what the root cause is. Have you tried a keyword search on your condition to see if you can find the various, possible nutritional deficiencies you might have (e.g., skin+rash+dandruff+nutrients)? I find that the search engine Dogpile.com provides the best health-related sites without all the clutter. If you have other mysterious symptoms, throw them into the search because, as I indicated above, deficiencies can cause many symptoms...and you may find a link that way.

kenlove Rising Star

Thanks again -- I didnt search that much just because of lack of time but I will -- just glancing now shows a number of references. I use dogpile at times although there ads get a little invasive at times. I research a lot of horticultural issues in different languages so I'm always on some search engines..

thanks again

Ken,

More often then not, celiac presents multiple mysteries when odd symptoms pop up. Nutritional deficiencies can cause an array of symptoms where it can be difficult to determine what the root cause is. Have you tried a keyword search on your condition to see if you can find the various, possible nutritional deficiencies you might have (e.g., skin+rash+dandruff+nutrients)? I find that the search engine Dogpile.com provides the best health-related sites without all the clutter. If you have other mysterious symptoms, throw them into the search because, as I indicated above, deficiencies can cause many symptoms...and you may find a link that way.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 6 years later...
Victoria1234 Experienced
On 12/22/2010 at 7:00 PM, kenlove said:

Went to see the doc today because of a rash starting on my face that is not DH. He said it was seborrheic dermatitis a form of dandruff and gave me some OTC suggestions for scrubs and shampoos. He then started to get into possible causes which no one is really sure of, It is thought to be caused by malnutrition and current studies suggest lack of Vitamin E might be one cause.

As anyone had any experience or heard of this being tied to celiac?

thanks much

Ken

Ken, I have the same thing. Did you ever find a reason or solution? I'm tired of shampoos and creams that only work short term. My problem cropped up after I had gone gluten-free. Thanks!

Jmg Mentor
1 hour ago, Victoria1234 said:

Ken, I have the same thing. Did you ever find a reason or solution? I'm tired of shampoos and creams that only work short term. My problem cropped up after I had gone gluten-free. Thanks!

There isn't a cure that I'm aware of. Mine is much, much better since I went gluten free but it's liable to recur, especially if I get run down. Nizoral is most effective shampoo but it contains wheat protein so take care!

Victoria1234 Experienced
5 minutes ago, Jmg said:

There isn't a cure that I'm aware of. Mine is much, much better since I went gluten free but it's liable to recur, especially if I get run down. Nizoral is most effective shampoo but it contains wheat protein so take care!

I've tried 3 shampoos and a skin cream, sorry can't recall names! It can keep it under control but I want to know why it happened in the first place. I was already gluten-free, and never had it in my life beforehand. Just looking for a magic cure :)

Jmg Mentor
2 hours ago, Victoria1234 said:

but I want to know why it happened in the first place.

Perhaps you were run down and your immune system was compromised?

Here's a good paper on the subject:

Open Original Shared Link

Not much definitive, but this for instance is interesting:

The prevalence of SD in persons infected with HIV suggests that the condition is mediated by the immune system;

In my own case I know that under gluten I lived for years with an impaired immune system. Any cold going around I got it and kept it for longer than everyone else. I was often 'under the weather' and I had unexplained urinary infections etc. The skin issues were one part of that and the SD the most visible.

So many things resolved when going gluten free that I was upset that the SD, whilst improving, didn't also disappear.  I saw a consultant dermatologist and he diagnosed it and said that Nizoral had the best chance of impacting on it - in fact its the active ingredient: ketoconazole that you need to look for:

In a randomized, double-blind trial of 459 patients with SD treated with ketoconazole 2% gel or vehicle once daily for 14 days, there was a significantly higher rate of successful treatment (25.3% vs. 13.9%,P=0.0014) and significantly greater reductions in erythema, pruritus, and scaling in ketoconazole-treated patients.

I only use the shampoo now if its bad and it isn't too bad at all, I think because I'm broadly healthy, eating well and strict on the diet. I have an itchy scalp and occasional spots at bottom of scalp but I can always go back to the shampoo if needed. Like you I have a couple of others sat around for an alternative. 

My research has suggested its a case of treating symptoms and staying well, but its control rather than cure. :( Sorry!

Victoria1234 Experienced
1 hour ago, Jmg said:

Perhaps you were run down and your immune system was compromised?

Here's a good paper on the subject:

Not much definitive, but this for instance is interesting:

In my own case I know that under gluten I lived for years with an impaired immune system. Any cold going around I got it and kept it for longer than everyone else. I was often 'under the weather' and I had unexplained urinary infections etc. The skin issues were one part of that and the SD the most visible.

So many things resolved when going gluten free that I was upset that the SD, whilst improving, didn't also disappear.  I saw a consultant dermatologist and he diagnosed it and said that Nizoral had the best chance of impacting on it - in fact its the active ingredient: ketoconazole that you need to look for:

I only use the shampoo now if its bad and it isn't too bad at all, I think because I'm broadly healthy, eating well and strict on the diet. I have an itchy scalp and occasional spots at bottom of scalp but I can always go back to the shampoo if needed. Like you I have a couple of others sat around for an alternative. 

My research has suggested its a case of treating symptoms and staying well, but its control rather than cure. :( Sorry!

Do you drink milk? The year I went off milk products I THINK it went away.... but I was too sad to stay off milk. I try to do as little as possible now, but can't resist cheese.

thanks for the other info! I'll read the paper now. I use ketaconazole too! At least I recognize it from my arsenal.

Jmg Mentor
58 minutes ago, Victoria1234 said:

Do you drink milk? The year I went off milk products I THINK it went away.... but I was too sad to stay off milk. I try to do as little as possible now, but can't resist cheese.

thanks for the other info! I'll read the paper now. I use ketaconazole too! At least I recognize it from my arsenal.

I don't drink milk anymore but I do find that dairy, well milk in particular, is really bad for my skin. I still have yogurt occasionally  and I will have milk in processed foods so perhaps I could get an improvement if I was more rigorous and cut it out completely, but that would take out a lot of foods I like and I guess I'm either not that strong willed or willing to pay the price... 

Victoria1234 Experienced
4 minutes ago, Jmg said:

I don't drink milk anymore but I do find that dairy, well milk in particular, is really bad for my skin. I still have yogurt occasionally  and I will have milk in processed foods so perhaps I could get an improvement if I was more rigorous and cut it out completely, but that would take out a lot of foods I like and I guess I'm either not that strong willed or willing to pay the price... 

I agree, I like milk too much. Now if it was truly affecting my health again, I would take it out! 

Jmg Mentor
11 hours ago, Victoria1234 said:

I agree, I like milk too much. Now if it was truly affecting my health again, I would take it out! 

I don't have milk in liquid form any more, so I switched to coconut flavoured milk (rice based) for cereal, really like it. Then I take coffee black which I've also adjusted to. For an occasional treat I'll have a soy latte, tastes a bit nutty but I'm used to it now and it's as much about the visual treat of sitting in a coffee shop with a big milky coffee anyway. The last time I had a real milk latte I got some huge spots a day or so later on my chest and that was the clearest signal that milk and my skin weren't a good mix.

What I haven't done is stop eating products that have milk listed as an ingredient. If I do that I lose so many of the nice gluten-free replacements :( biscuits ice cream etc. I know I could try and get dairy free, but it's expensive and difficult to find. So maybe I should try doing that and see how I go...

It's funny, a few years ago I used to have a 'healthy'  breakfast of porridge, milk, with a big spoon full of wheat bran for fibre which I convinced myself I needed for digestion. I used to feel pleased with myself for having a good start to the day when I subsequently found it was the worst combination of foods I could possibly have devised. I think If I ate that right now I'd explode!

Victoria1234 Experienced
6 hours ago, Jmg said:

I don't have milk in liquid form any more, so I switched to coconut flavoured milk (rice based) for cereal, really like it. Then I take coffee black which I've also adjusted to. For an occasional treat I'll have a soy latte, tastes a bit nutty but I'm used to it now and it's as much about the visual treat of sitting in a coffee shop with a big milky coffee anyway. The last time I had a real milk latte I got some huge spots a day or so later on my chest and that was the clearest signal that milk and my skin weren't a good mix.

What I haven't done is stop eating products that have milk listed as an ingredient. If I do that I lose so many of the nice gluten-free replacements :( biscuits ice cream etc. I know I could try and get dairy free, but it's expensive and difficult to find. So maybe I should try doing that and see how I go...

It's funny, a few years ago I used to have a 'healthy'  breakfast of porridge, milk, with a big spoon full of wheat bran for fibre which I convinced myself I needed for digestion. I used to feel pleased with myself for having a good start to the day when I subsequently found it was the worst combination of foods I could possibly have devised. I think If I ate that right now I'd explode!

I love almond milk and generally use that instead of the liquid cow milk. I don't think I could ever do black coffee! I started drinking coffee when I took a trip to Mexico when I was much younger, where they serve cafe con leche which is, you guessed it, half coffee, half milk. Loved it instantly. But with almond milk, I get the sweetened version so I don't need sugar.

The year I was milk free, or rather casein free, in 2008, I was very sad about the choices. I think that's what deepened my depression. I remember crying in the grocery store several times as I looked at labels. I'm not sure what made me try milk products again, and I sure wish I could recall if I had SD when I was CF. It's all too long ago. If I had been a member here, I could just look it up! (I think I just lurked here for awhile back then, but didn't feel worthy of participating.)

Well if you think your breakfast was bad, my snack of choice was a cracker we have called Wheat Thins. I loved them so much, I could eat an entire box! I was never a bread person unless my husband baked it. I would most always eat the inside of the sandwich and not the bread. But I did love pasta. Thank goodness we have so many gluten-free choices of pasta!

• 2 weeks later...
kenlove Rising Star
On 5/29/2017 at 4:53 AM, Victoria1234 said:

the   doc  was right -- in some cases no types of  vitamins in my  system and nutrient uptake was compromised  from the celiac. Basically I went on a green juice fast at this clinic,  True North, to get my system back in shape. I had some  problems with animal proteins and junk in the stomach and  intestine that evidently blocked the nutrients. Dont remember much from that  time in  2011 but I sure felt a lot better after the  green juice  fast  which was just  celery and apple juice mix.

Jmg Mentor
11 hours ago, kenlove said:

the   doc  was right -- in some cases no types of  vitamins in my  system and nutrient uptake was compromised  from the celiac. Basically I went on a green juice fast at this clinic,  True North, to get my system back in shape. I had some  problems with animal proteins and junk in the stomach and  intestine that evidently blocked the nutrients. Dont remember much from that  time in  2011 but I sure felt a lot better after the  green juice  fast  which was just  celery and apple juice mix.

That's very interesting. I've improved markedly since I went gluten free, but its not entirely resolved. I do get the itching scalp for instance. 

I'd thought fasts and juice cleanses were a bit unsupported by evidence but maybe I should take another look...

kenlove Rising Star

the  green juice  fast  helped a lot but in some cases i still get a  rash too. Im not sure how much is age  related though

knitty kitty Grand Master

Hi!  Vitamin deficiencies play a big part in skin health.  Niacin, B6, biotin, vitamins A, E, & D, and the essential fatty acids (omega 3) have all helped mine.

• 2 weeks later...
plumbago Experienced
On 5/29/2017 at 11:58 AM, Jmg said:

Do you know the specific name of the wheat protein in Nizoral? Thank you!

Jmg Mentor
2 hours ago, plumbago said:

Do you know the specific name of the wheat protein in Nizoral? Thank you!

I'm sorry I don't :( In fact I just looked and only found this on the uk datasheet;

What’s in this product? The active ingredient in 1 g of Nizoral Dandruff Shampoo is ketoconazole 20 mg. Other ingredients are: Sodium lauryl ether sulphate, disodium monolauryl ether sulphosuccinate, coconut fatty acid diethanolamide, laurdimonium hydrolysed animal collagen, macrogol 120 methyl glucose dioleate, sodium chloride, concentrated hydrochloric acid, imidurea, sodium hydroxide, erythrosine sodium (E127), purifi ed water.

So maybe I was wrong!

plumbago Experienced

Thanks. I have been using this product intermittently for years. I did see other places online that it had wheat but I could not pick out the actual ingredient containing it.

Archived