This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Rudi's Bread ?

Mizzo

Mizzo Enthusiast

I had to laugh when I saw this but there is a bread in the Market Basket chain called Rudi's gluten free bread. Does anyone know what it tastes like? Is it similar to Udi's or did they just mimic the name for advertising reasons. hahahahaha

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

I find Rudi's to be BETTER than Udi's. It is softer and makes a better sandwich, IMO.

WinterSong Community Regular

I tried both Udi's and Rudi's, and toasted they taste like the same thing to me. Some of my Rudi's loafs had some holes in it, though, which annoyed me. You just have to be careful to get the gluten free kind because I think Rudi's makes non-gluten-free bread as well.

Skylark Collaborator

I have the Rudi's gluten-free Wholegrain right now and I like it a little better than Udi's wholegrain. It has more of a "bread" flavor.

butterfl8 Rookie

Rudi's is different than Udi's. Rudi's is based in Boulder, CO; Udi's is based in Denver, CO. My husband and I prefer the Rudi's whole grain bread. Both companies also make evil bread, but Udi's has a seperate bakery for the gluten-free bread. (I don't know if Rudi's has a whole seperate facility, but I'm pretty sensitive, and I do well with 2 slices every couple of days.) Apparently both now have hot dog and hambuger buns. . . But I have yet to see them at my local store. My King Soopers (Kroger) carries a line that isn't certified for gluten-free buns. <_<

But both Rudi's and Udi's are YUMMY!!! We did wonder at the names though! Especially as both are Colorado based. . . :P

-Daisy

MWhelan Newbie

Hi All,

My name is Maeve and I work at Udi's Gluten Free Foods. Just want to clarify that while the names are similar, Udi's is not related to or affiliated with Rudi's. Udi's Gluten Free products are baked in our certified gluten-free bakery in Denver, CO, but sold in stores all over the country! If you have any additional questions, please don't hesitate to email me.

Thanks,

Maeve Whelan-Wuest

Denver, CO

mwhelan@udisfood.com

I had to laugh when I saw this but there is a bread in the Market Basket chain called Rudi's gluten free bread. Does anyone know what it tastes like? Is it similar to Udi's or did they just mimic the name for advertising reasons. hahahahaha

celiac-mommy Collaborator

BE CAREFUL!!!! In many of our stores, Rudi's bread is all together in the refrigerated bread section. I mistakingly bought a loaf of GLUTEN bread that was next to the entire display of gluten-free bread and poisoned both of my kids <_<

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

BE CAREFUL!!!! In many of our stores, Rudi's bread is all together in the refrigerated bread section. I mistakingly bought a loaf of GLUTEN bread that was next to the entire display of gluten-free bread and poisoned both of my kids <_<

Yikes! My stores stock it all in the same section too. If it helps the gluten-free ones are in blue bags and the wheat ones are yellow and red I think.

Yikes! My stores stock it all in the same section too. If it helps the gluten-free ones are in blue bags and the wheat ones are yellow and red I think.

I had never purchased it before, wanted to try it bc everyone raves about it. I didn't know they had both varieties. You'd think after 5 years I'd be a little bit smarter and read the stinkin package! :rolleyes:

lynnelise Apprentice

I haven't tried Rudi's sandwich bread but I have tried the hamburger and hot dog buns. The burger buns are good but they don't at all remind me of the "real" thing. They are very hearty and have millet, flax, and sunflower seeds. I think they make better buns for deli style sandwiches than for a traditional burger.

I didn't love the hotdog buns. They tasted the same as the burger ones but they weren't soft and you pretty much had to cut them in half to get the hotdog in and then toppings kept dropping out the bottom. I also thought the seeds were even more out of place with hotdogs but that is just me. I like my junk food to taste like junk food! lol

I would LOVE to try Udi's buns. They look much more like the real thing and I love, love, love their bread! Just have to wait for my store to stock them!

RudisGF Newbie

Hi all! We are RRRRudi's (no connection to Udi's)! We are based in Boulder, Colorado and our gluten-free breads are sold nationally. Our bakery was founded in 1976 and our roots are in organic baking. We went to work on baking gluten-free bread after we heard the call from so many in the celiac and gluten-intolerant communities. After testing over 100 recipes we launched our gluten-free bread line last summer.

Please note our gluten-free breads are clearly marked on the front of the package (blue bags) with GLUTEN-FREE and are found in the freezer section. Let me know if you have any other questions!

Thanks,

Maggie

Rudi's Gluten-Free Bakery

RudisGF Newbie

Maggie here from Rudi's Gluten-Fre Bakery. To answer ButterfI8's question -

We do not have a dedicated gluten-free facility, we do have a segregated, separate manufacturing approach. We bake our gluten free breads on separate, dedicated equipment and on separate production days. You can feel assured our gluten free products never come into contact with something used to make a product containing gluten. As part of our manufacturing process, we also do the following:

• Our organic and gluten free equipment is color-coded for easy segregation
  • Our gluten free breads are baked only after our facility has gone through an extensive, full day clean-up process
  • All incoming ingredients are also tested and certified to be gluten free
  • As part of our gluten free certification, every batch of our gluten free bread is tested and must test below <10 ppm of gluten for distribution
  • We also send product to an outside lab to validate our test results and ensure we have less than 10 ppm of gluten

Thanks!

Maggie, Rudi's Gluten-Free Bakery

and are found in the freezer section.

Except when they're not. And at my stores they're not and they're mixed in with the regular bread. Just be careful!!

heatherjane Contributor

Rudi's is my fave! B)

Mizzo Enthusiast

I had never purchased it before, wanted to try it bc everyone raves about it. I didn't know they had both varieties. You'd think after 5 years I'd be a little bit smarter and read the stinkin package! :rolleyes:

Last week I gave my dd Bell and Evans chicken tenders (not gluten-free) the darn boxes are sooo similar. Thankfully my husband caught it before I gave her seconds.

I think sometimes I just get relaxed and am not shopping consciously, like driving. :)

Goof Rookie

I've tried both, and I actually like Udi's better. I think the white sandwich bread is a little bit lighter, which is what I like in a sandwich bread. It's just a preference. Definitely take them both out for a spin!

kareng Grand Master

I'm a Canyon Bakehouse San Juan bread fan! They are also from Colorado, I think. I never liked white Wonder Bread.

What is it about Colorado & gluten free? Could it become the Gluten Free Homeland? ;)

catsmeow Contributor

Maybe it's time to move to Colorado!

I like both Rudi's and Udi's. They both ROCK!

sa1937 Community Regular

What is it about Colorado & gluten free? Could it become the Gluten Free Homeland? ;)

My daughter (also celiac) lives in Denver. I'm sure she has no idea how fortunate she is to live in such a gluten-free city with tons of restaurants and access to gluten-free foods.

kareng Grand Master

My daughter (also celiac) lives in Denver. I'm sure she has no idea how fortunate she is to live in such a gluten-free city with tons of restaurants and access to gluten-free foods.

My son is GI ing to college at CSU. They have a gluten-free brewery there. There is a big ad at the edge of campus for gluten-free pizza! The college offers many different gluten-free cooking & baking classes.

sa1937 Community Regular

My son is GI ing to college at CSU. They have a gluten-free brewery there. There is a big ad at the edge of campus for gluten-free pizza! The college offers many different gluten-free cooking & baking classes.

At least he'll give you a great place to visit!!! My daughter is in grad school at the University of Colorado at Denver (class of 2012). Hopefully she doesn't plan to become a professional student. :P

Archived