This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Does Anyone Know What Ppm Udi's Products Tests At?

shayre

shayre Enthusiast

Hi. Okay, so I learned that I react to gluten below 20ppm. I am basing that on the fact that I react to some gluten-free foods that are obviously allowed that much. I am trying to narrow down how many ppm that I react to. I seem to react to Udi's, so I'm wondering if anyone already knows how low they actually test? 10ppm? 5ppm? I reacted to the muffins, bread and original granola. My reaction to the granola was that I went downhill with my health a little bit every day until I can't function about a week later. I had the same reaction with Rice Dream. With the Udi's muffins I instantly just felt nauseated and not good. I also know that it's worse if I eat more than one. I am just trying to get a gage of what ppm I tolerate. I know that some of you have it down to a science and know exactly what ppm that you will react to and how much. It would be so helpful if anyone already knows some products and what they test at for levels of gluten ppm too?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

I don't know the PPM they test at, but have you considered it might be something else in them that you are reacting to besides gluten? I consider myself super sensitive but I have no trouble with Udi's bread. They are made in a dedicated facility on dedicated equipment. I'm not doubting you have a reaction to them because others here can't eat Udi's. Just saying it could be something other than gluten.

Darn210 Enthusiast

I hope you ditched the Rice Dream. It's processed with a Barley enzyme and then the enzyme is discarded . . . don't know how that works exactly but there are many people that have problems with the Rice Dream.

As far as Udi's go . . . you might check out some of the other threads about Udi's. There are a few people that have had issues. I don't know if any of them have gotten to the bottom of it but you might want to look there.

Let me ask you this . . . how do you do with gluten free oats? That's a key ingredient of the granola. Some Celiacs can't handle the oats even if they are certified gluten free. The question for the other products might then become "Is there cross contamination with gluten free oats?" Not sayin' that's the problem . . . just something that has come to mind.

shayre Enthusiast

Oh yes. I ditched the Rice Dream long ago! I drink Almond Breeze now. Yes, I seem to just...not feel as good...on gluten-free oatmeal. I quit it to be safe. As far as Udi's granola I am fairly certain of a gluten reaction, since I slowly went downhill everyday...then was better when I stopped. My reactions are NOT severe most of the time...like fogginess, muscle and joint aches that just creep up on you. So, it always leaves me wondering if I'm getting low grade glutened or not. I have to pay attention to my body so closely. And I'm also trying to figure out RA or Lupus issues, so the gluten reactions kind of mix in. I am never sure if it's other AI issues or gluten. I FOR SURE don't wish for diahrrea like others have, but maybe that would make it easier to tell if I got glutened:) I have always been extremely constipated, so it makes it hard to tell if gluten is making it worse or not.

With the muffins I felt bad within half hour. I tried 3 different flavors. I tried one of them a second time, and it was not as severe but I ate less. I did have digestive issues too. Now that I think about it, I don't think that I actually tried the sandwich bread from Udi's, but I've tried others with no success. Food For Life brought me down slowly over the week too. I think that I was too scared to try the Udi's bread. Yes, I thought that I'm probably intolerant to an ingredient in the muffins, but then I read somewhere on here about the ppm contamination and thought maybe it was that instead. So now I'm doing some inquiring on the matter hoping to nail down a threshold for myself. I am also trying to figure out if I need to be as careful as T.H. and a couple of others of you. I empathize with you guys so much, but I hope that I'm not that sensitive. I'm just testing myself out.

Food For Life uses barely water in their products as well. I got very sick from their "gluten-free" brown rice tortillas. I have never had the Udi's muffins or granola (I'm sensitive to Oats so I wouldn't try it).

kareng Grand Master

Why don't you email UDi's and ask them?

This may shed some light on things: Open Original Shared Link

From Their FAQ's:

7 . What certifications do you hold? Return to Top

All Udi's Gluten Free Foods are certified gluten free and kosher.

The certifying organizations are:

Open Original Shared Link

Also, in order to place the Whole Grain Council stamp on our packaging we had to meet the requirements from:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That first link is the organization which does Udi's testing. From their website FAQ's:

Does gluten-free certification guarantee that a product is gluten-free?

The mark assures that the product contains less than 10-ppm gluten (5-ppm gliadin) and similar proteins from rye and barley as measured by using testing methods that are accepted for gluten testing by analytical associations such as the Association of Analytical Communities (AOAC), testing researchers and other such agencies. No testing method is available that measures to zero.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So Udi's is tested to either 5 or 10 PPM? I'm not sure which. Does that mean 5 PPM for wheat but 10 PPM for rye and barley?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Roda Rising Star

I am sensitive to oat cc so I called and asked about that very question. I was told that the gluten free granola and other udi's products are made in a shared facility but the granola is prepared in a separate room with different utensils. I haven't reacted to the bread yet. Here is the actual response I got:

checked with our bakery and was informed:

At this time the oats are only used on our granola side. We use a separate mixer, we use different ovens, and different sheet pans. Of course anything is possible, but it is very unlikely since it is a separate plant within the plant. We do however store them in the same warehouse (unopened) and there is a common wash area.

So there is very little chance for cross contact but not impossible.

Feel free to contact me if you have any further questions and have an Udiful day,

Declan Galvin

Marketing Coordinator

dgalvin@udisfood.com

Sent: Tuesday, December 21, 2010 3:42 AM

To: Customer Service

Subject: Udi's Contact Form

Purchase From:

Ingalls or our local Health Barn

Batch Number:

Is there any chance your bread could have cross contact with your certified gluten free oats?

Subject:

Questions

shayre Enthusiast

Food For Life uses barely water in their products as well. I got very sick from their "gluten-free" brown rice tortillas. I have never had the Udi's muffins or granola (I'm sensitive to Oats so I wouldn't try it).

Well...what the heck? Why...on earth...would they use barley water??????? Omg, are companies just trying to do the bare minimum to get the gluten-free seal? Don't they know that they could drastically increase their sales if they didn't do stuff like that? Sorry, I'm a bit beside myself now.....

So I am a little confused. Does that mean that the 5ppm gluten and 10 ppm gliadin are added to make 15ppm in one product? Also, within the plant...I don't see why they have to prepare oats in a seperate room...if everything that they make is gluten free and it's a dedicated gluten free facility? The whole plant should be equally safe right?

I don't know why, but I prefer NOT to call people and ask questions on the phone cause I guess that I'm a little shy. But it has proven greater results to find out stuff from you all, then calling manufacturers. I did spend a couple of months calling them for everything I put in my mouth, and it exhausts me...as I'm sure that you all know for yourselves:)Some of you don't mind calling and drilling the people on the phone with a ton of questions, and I love you all for that. I just feel bad and a little timid...and a little tired of the attitudes when I'm trying to get more details....or vague answers...ya know.

T.H. Community Regular

Pretty darn sure Udi's gets me as well - only ate it twice in the very beginning of my diet before I figured out my sensitivity level, though. My daughter tried it a few times, and she could have maybe 1/4 of a muffin, sometimes a half, but any more than that and she had stomach pain.

Kinnickinnick and Pamela's are 5ppm, if you want to mess around with a couple that have less, just to see how it is. If you haven't been recording amounts, though, doing that will help, since the ppm translates to mg per kg of food eaten, you know? Then you can figure out what your gluten load is for the day, sort of.

kareng Grand Master

Well...what the heck? Why...on earth...would they use barley water??????? Omg, are companies just trying to do the bare minimum to get the gluten-free seal? Don't they know that they could drastically increase their sales if they didn't do stuff like that? Sorry, I'm a bit beside myself now.....

So I am a little confused. Does that mean that the 5ppm gluten and 10 ppm gliadin are added to make 15ppm in one product? Also, within the plant...I don't see why they have to prepare oats in a seperate room...if everything that they make is gluten free and it's a dedicated gluten free facility? The whole plant should be equally safe right?

I don't know why, but I prefer NOT to call people and ask questions on the phone cause I guess that I'm a little shy. But it has proven greater results to find out stuff from you all, then calling manufacturers. I did spend a couple of months calling them for everything I put in my mouth, and it exhausts me...as I'm sure that you all know for yourselves:)Some of you don't mind calling and drilling the people on the phone with a ton of questions, and I love you all for that. I just feel bad and a little timid...and a little tired of the attitudes when I'm trying to get more details....or vague answers...ya know.

They seperate the oats because some people with Celiac cannot eat oats. It effects them the same way as gluten. That is why we are told not to eat gluten-free oats until we have healed. That's why some people have said that maybe you are having problems with the granola because of the oats.

The test for gluten can not say 0. They have to look for gluten. They can't look for nothing. Its confusing. If they test for under 5 then it could be 2 parts per million or no parts at all.

You can certainly email companies like Udis for clarification. We can guess all we want about what it really means.

Yeah, FFL is not a good company, IMO. I was really angry when I got sick from eating their brown rice tortillas TWICE int he same week. In addition to teh barely water thign they had a recall of their gluten-free products in Canada becaus ethe gluten-free products had gluten in them. I wrote them a letter when I got sick and never heard anything back.

No, for the Udi's that doesn't mean they ADD any gluten to the product. The tests are physically not able to test below 5 PPM. So no product will ever test at zero PPM. You could test a banana that you peel in an air-tight, sterile room and it would test at 5 PPM (or whatever the threshold of the test is).

For the oats, I'm actually glad they prepare them in a separate room because that explains why I can eat their bread. I cannot use any of Bob Red Mill's gluten-free flours because of Oat CC. They have dedicated gluten-free facilities and only use gluten-free oats but even gluten-free oats make me sick so cc from gluten-free oats to the other gluten-free products make me sick as well...It's not as strong of a reaction to just eating oats or other gluten products but when I used their flours I just felt "off".

Skylark Collaborator

So Udi's is tested to either 5 or 10 PPM? I'm not sure which. Does that mean 5 PPM for wheat but 10 PPM for rye and barley?

It is what we think of on the board as 10 ppm gluten. Wheat gluten is 50% gliadin by weight.

I refuse to buy Food for Life. They have a history of deceptive marketing practices like "wheat free" spelt breads and undeclared barley water used in their products.

That's really good if Udi's is at 10 ppm. I have written Bob's Red Mill, and they limit to 20 ppm. I just looked up Rice Dream the other day, and they say it's below 20 ppm barley protein, not all of which would be gluten since it's a processing enzyme preparation.

FernW Rookie

I am sitting here eating Udi's white bread (tuna sandwich) for lunch. I seem to be okay with the white bread but have not tried their other products yet. Baby steps. I get sick for a month with just a small amount so I tend to be extememly careful. I want to try their granola next. I know I can eat pure oats since I do so on passover, I eat tons of that. But being A Celiac just like the rest of you we are each different and we have to try it to know what happens, thats the part that makes me nervous. I ate in a gluten free resturant and got sick for a month, the only one in a group of about 10. That was a bummer, will never eat there again. I know I am not helpful here just want to add my 1 1/2 cents.

MaryJones2 Enthusiast

I don't think I do well with their granola either but I think I just have a problem with oats in general. I did accidentally pick up their regular granola which is only wheat-free (the packages are surprisingly similar) and had mild symptoms.

modiddly16 Enthusiast

I'm one of those people who cannot tolerate Udi's. I can't have Oats either so I can't speak to their granola but I'm not a terribly sensitive celiac either however, Udi's just royally crushes me. My fiancee who is NOT gluten free had emergency bathroom visits with udi's also, which was suspect. I honestly think its too much xanathan gum for me or the combination of their ingrediants just doesn't love me!

Archived