This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Barrett's Esophagus - Gluten Related?

Rick-O-Shay

Rick-O-Shay Apprentice

Hello,

3 Years ago I was diagnosed with Barrett's Esophagus via endoscopy biopsy. Does anyone know if this condition is linked to Gluten sensitivity or Celiac?

Thanks,

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sahm-i-am Apprentice

My brother in law has celiac disease and BE. He also has Diabetes, another related condition. I don't know of any scientific studies, just his story.

Rick-O-Shay Apprentice

Hmmm. Thanks.

Does he follow a Celiac diet? I was just wondering if over time if he sticks to the diet if the Barrett's will heal up.

sahm-i-am Apprentice

I believe he does. He has had celiac disease since 2003 and they discovered Diabetes at same time. I will text him about BE later today. I know he gets reg checks for it and I do remember him saying it was hard to manage (BE).

Rick-O-Shay Apprentice

Hey sam, did you text your bro?

beebs Enthusiast

I am supposed to have an endo at some point to see what damage my GERD has done. I had it very badly for years...until I went gluten free. Sometimes I need a tum - but I have had no medication for it since going gluten-free. So to answer - GERD can cause BE and Celiac/Gluten Intolerance can cause GERD. Hope that helps!

sahm-i-am Apprentice

Rick,

I did text him but sometimes it takes a few days. He is undergoing a full house renovation and he teaches. He will get back to me - I'll keep bugging him! He needs that sometimes. :-) But I will respond as soon as I hear what he says. It makes sense what beebs said.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sahm-i-am Apprentice

Just heard from BIL - he said the only thing that helped him was medication and it is no longer a problem. He does get it checked every year. So it is hard to say if just gluten free helped him or just meds or both. Not sure if this helps or not.

Rick-O-Shay Apprentice

This is good to know. Thank you.

If gluten causes GERD, and GERD causes BE, then it makes total sense.

I'm not sure if it's heartburn or not, but I wake up in the morning with terrible burning in my stomach all the time. I have eliminated so much and I am on prilosec and carafate... My doctor says I'm just hungry... I don't think hunger is supposed to be a burning pain...

Any idea of how long it took for the GERD to go away after going gluten free? I know everyone is different, so answers may vary.

beebs Enthusiast

For me it was instant - I went gluten-free and the GERD went away that day. I have it really mildly occasionally = but I was medicated for years (which wasn't working) and I haven't been on meds since.

Burning pain that relieves when you eat?? Sounds like it could be Stomach ulcers! Which can also be cause by Celiac!! Have you ever been put on proton pump inhibitors or anything? Do you have any other symptoms - excessive belching or anything like that?? Going gluten free will not fix ulcers - you would still need medication (nexium, parriet etc).

Rick-O-Shay Apprentice

For me it was instant - I went gluten-free and the GERD went away that day. I have it really mildly occasionally = but I was medicated for years (which wasn't working) and I haven't been on meds since.

Burning pain that relieves when you eat?? Sounds like it could be Stomach ulcers! Which can also be cause by Celiac!! Have you ever been put on proton pump inhibitors or anything? Do you have any other symptoms - excessive belching or anything like that?? Going gluten free will not fix ulcers - you would still need medication (nexium, parriet etc).

Yes, I have been diagnosed with ulcers. The burning pain in the AM does go away when I get up, move around, and eat something. I am on prilosec (a PPI) and carafate (to coat the stomach), although I still have the burning. I have another endoscopy scheduled in January :(. Sounds like you have experience with ulcers?

I am hopeing if I go gluten free the ulcers won't come back once they are healed.

Another symptom I have is feeling extra full after eating and nauseous... common with ulcers I believe. Have you had ulcers before?

beebs Enthusiast

Yes- I've had two neg for H.Pylori, haven't had one since going gluten free - my last one was just before I went gluten free took nexium for it and then haven't needed anything since.

Rick-O-Shay Apprentice

Yes- I've had two neg for H.Pylori, haven't had one since going gluten free - my last one was just before I went gluten free took nexium for it and then haven't needed anything since.

Right on. You give me hope! I have been tested for H. Pylori as well, which was negative, and I have been struggling with them ever since. I have tried prevacid, prilosec, nexium (with carafate of course). Since ulcers are slow to heal I'm hoping after a month or two and being gluten free I can keep those nasty things away.

Thanks again beebs!

Do you have heartburn by chance?

beebs Enthusiast

Yeah - severe heartburn (GERD) that I took medication for for years and years and it did nothing. I couldn't drink water - it would make it so much worse and sometimes it wouldn't even go down:( But - all good now that I'm gluten free, no meds needed and GERD is all but gone (have little episodes here and there) . Have you started the gluten-free diet yet??

Rick-O-Shay Apprentice

Yeah - severe heartburn (GERD) that I took medication for for years and years and it did nothing. I couldn't drink water - it would make it so much worse and sometimes it wouldn't even go down:( But - all good now that I'm gluten free, no meds needed and GERD is all but gone (have little episodes here and there) . Have you started the gluten-free diet yet??

Yes, but it has only been about a week, so I need to give it more time. Did it take awhile for you to feel better and begin stopping your medication?

beebs Enthusiast

No - mine is directly related. The day I went gluten free the GERD stopped - if only I had of figured it out ages ago. I need to have an endo to check for Barretts etc. Not looking forward to it!

Also- now if I am glutened the GERD comes back - so totally caused by gluten.

frieze Community Regular

hopefully you are aware the carafate needs to be taken on a totally empty stomach, nothing to eat 2 hours before nor 1 hour after? if there is a chance that the pain you are feeling is esophogeal, the suspension may be a better form. Good luck

Archived