This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Burt's Bees No Longer gluten-free

GF.Mom

GF.Mom Newbie

We bought a new tube of Burt's Bees Ultra Conditioning lip balm for my daughter today. Since we had not used the "ultra conditioning" before, I called to confirm it was gluten free. The response I received was that, "Burt's Bees no longer claims that any of their products are gluten free because they cannot confirm that their ingredients have not been contaminated."

So what lip balms do you use?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sa1937 Community Regular

We bought a new tube of Burt's Bees Ultra Conditioning lip balm for my daughter today. Since we had not used the "ultra conditioning" before, I called to confirm it was gluten free. The response I received was that, "Burt's Bees no longer claims that any of their products are gluten free because they cannot confirm that their ingredients have not been contaminated."

So what lip balms do you use?

Welcome! I use Blistex Medicated Lip Balm (in the blue-green tube) and I also have Neosporin Lip Health.

Lisa Mentor

Just because a company will not claim a gluten free status of a product, does not mean that they contain gluten. Generally, it's a CYA statement.

So often these days of law suits, companies will claim "no gluten ingredients", rather than "gluten free". The standards for listing a products gluten free has yet to be established by law, in the US.

Open Original Shared Link

Ingredients: cocos nucifera (coconut) oil, olea europaea (olive) fruit oil, helianthus annuus (sunflower) seed oil, helianthus annuus (sunflower) seed wax, persea gratissima (avocado) oil, olus (vegetable oil, huile vegetale), cera alba (beeswax, cire d'abeille), sclerocarya birrea seed oil, soybean glycerides, theobroma cacao (cocoa) seed butter, garcinia indica seed butter*, butyrospermum parkii (shea) butter, butyrospermum parkii (shea butter) unsaponifiables, cymbopogon martini oil, citrus aurantium dulcis (orange) oil, salvia sclarea (clary) oil, tocopherol, myroxylon pereirae (balsam peru) oil, vanilla planifolia fruit extract, illicium verum (anise) fruit/seed oil, cananga odorata flower oil, glycine soja (soybean) oil, citric acid, geraniol, linalool, benzyl benzoate. *Kokum Butter

But that does not mean that they could have changed their formulation, but according to this ingredient listing, I see no gluten. I would not have an issue with this product.

mushroom Proficient

From what I heard Burt's Bees got taken over by another company which seems to have a different gluten free policy. The products may well still be the same.

GFreeMO Proficient

I use plain old Vaseline. Cheap, easy and one ingredient! Can't beat that. No CC there.

Lisa Mentor

I use plain old Vaseline. Cheap, easy and one ingredient! Can't beat that. No CC there.

Good point! :)

psawyer Proficient

"Burt's Bees no longer claims that any of their products are gluten free because they cannot confirm that their ingredients have not been contaminated."

Welcome to the world of litigation. There is no legal definition in the US of "gluten-free," so it means whatever the plaintiff's lawyer can convince the jury it ought to mean. As a result, fewer and fewer manufacturers are making gluten-free claims.

All it means is that since they don't test, they will not accept legal responsibility if a supplier inadvertently provides something with unexpected gluten content.

I would use the product without hesitation.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

psawyer Proficient

From what I heard Burt's Bees got taken over by another company which seems to have a different gluten free policy. The products may well still be the same.

True. They are now owned by Clorox.

Lisa Mentor

Here is a listing of Burt's Bees natural ingredients: (very informative)

Open Original Shared Link

Juliebove Rising Star

Dr. Dan's Cortibalm. I buy it online. Great stuff!

plumbago Experienced

http://www.burtsbees...kum-butter.html

Ingredients: cocos nucifera (coconut) oil, olea europaea (olive) fruit oil, helianthus annuus (sunflower) seed oil, helianthus annuus (sunflower) seed wax, persea gratissima (avocado) oil, olus (vegetable oil, huile vegetale), cera alba (beeswax, cire d'abeille), sclerocarya birrea seed oil, soybean glycerides, theobroma cacao (cocoa) seed butter, garcinia indica seed butter*, butyrospermum parkii (shea) butter, butyrospermum parkii (shea butter) unsaponifiables, cymbopogon martini oil, citrus aurantium dulcis (orange) oil, salvia sclarea (clary) oil, tocopherol, myroxylon pereirae (balsam peru) oil, vanilla planifolia fruit extract, illicium verum (anise) fruit/seed oil, cananga odorata flower oil, glycine soja (soybean) oil, citric acid, geraniol, linalool, benzyl benzoate. *Kokum Butter

But that does not mean that they could have changed their formulation, but according to this ingredient listing, I see no gluten. I would not have an issue with this product.

I've heard tocopherol is often derived from wheat.

Plumbago

psawyer Proficient
I've heard tocopherol is often derived from wheat.

The Canadian Celiac Association considers tocopherols to be safe in food, without concern. I don't know why this would be different. :unsure:

MaryJones2 Enthusiast

Carmex is gluten-free.

Mango04 Enthusiast

I would use the product you called about, but if you're looking for a company that completely and fully discloses the sources of its extremely organic, amazing and safe ingredients, I like Bubble and Bee Organic. The make an amazing lip balm.

bubbleandbee.com

Their organic deodorant is amazing as well, if anyone is looking to get away from aluminum.

azgirl5 Newbie

Will be checking out Bubble and Bee Organic. Sounds interesting.

Also check out www.soletvita.com. Very nice high quality lip balm that is gluten free. Also has SPF15.

Racer-J Newbie

I would use the product you called about, but if you're looking for a company that completely and fully discloses the sources of its extremely organic, amazing and safe ingredients, I like Bubble and Bee Organic. The make an amazing lip balm.

bubbleandbee.com

Their organic deodorant is amazing as well, if anyone is looking to get away from aluminum.

I can't vouch for the lip balm but I absolutely love their Organic Unscented Pit Putty and their Organic Unscented Shower Gel. Be warned though that those of you with hard water will have some "issues" with their soaps and shampoos but, it's nothing that a little baking soda or a mineral filter on your shower-head won't correct. There will also likely be a "detox" period if you switch to their Pit Putty. Bubble and Bee can also be considered "pricey" but, it was well worth the price as far as i was concerned.

Archived