This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

It Stops The Itch Dead In It's Tracks!

squirmingitch

squirmingitch Veteran

I was going to wait another day to post this but I owe it to all of us to post it right now.

I found something which stops the itch. And I mean STOPS it. Done. Over. Finished.

This morning I had a thought about trying something to stop the itching. I tried this on my itchies at 8 a.m. my time. Depending on the particular itch,it stopped the itching instantly or it took maybe 5 minutes. I decided to try some Orajel on the dh places. That's it! It worked for me. And it worked so well for so long that I didn't have to reapply to some places at all & it's now 7 p.m. my time. A few of the places I had to reapply it about 5 hours after the 1st application. I sit here typing itch free for the first time since the beginning of April. The dh is still there but it isn't itching.

Okay, this is Orajel oral pain reliever for toothache Maximum Strength. The active ingredient is Benzocaine 20%.

I would be very interested to hear from any of you who try it & what results you have with it. Please post back here if you try it.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mushroom Proficient

How wonderfujl to be rid of that itch :D Who would have thought??? :blink: Well, you would have :lol:

cahill Collaborator

I am sooooooooooooooooooo going to try this :D

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

I will definitely remember this.

Thanks!

squirmingitch Veteran

I really hope this keeps up because I am LOVING it!!!!!!!! I even had a new blister come up on my leg this afternoon around 4 p.m. I broke the blister, put the Orajel on it & it hasn't itched since (a little over 4 hours later).

BTW, I just happened to have the Orajel on hand as I had a tooth badly in need of a root canal & crown & I picked up the Orajel just in case the tooth began to give me fits before the appointment. I ended up not needing it & made it to the appt. time.

Marilyn R Community Regular

I'm going to try it on my psoriasis. Nothing else seems to stop it from itching. Thanks for posting@ If there's an end to the itch, I'll be grateful to you forever!

Di2011 Enthusiast

I couldn't work out why the active ingredient sounded familiar - I just realised I bought my son Cepacaine for throat last week. And this post from eatmeat4good yesterday in the "What to put on DH lesions":

I had DH on my chin too.

"I used Walgreens brand of Pain Relieving Ointment which is benzocaine and it numbs the stinging itching pain of DH. Only works for a little while but it is welcome relief."

I am now playing the guinea pig with cepacaine oral solution :)

As usual it comes with some risk. You all should read up about possible side effects eg

Open Original Shared Link

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

squirmingitch Veteran

:lol: Maybe the post by eatmeat4good subliminally sent a message to my brain & that's what caused me to think of the Orajel. If so I heartily thank eatmeat4good!

Thanks for the link & info. Diane. Not what I expected it to say as I thought this morning that I had better post something of a disclaimer for people to look up side effects before they try it. I was thinking along the lines of people with heart disease & it might make their heart race or something. Of course, I might not slather the stuff over large areas repeatedly such as over your entire belly & sides --- that could be a large territory & I have no idea what the effects of continued use such as that might be.

I can only say that for myself I'm riding this baby as far as I can. To have a full 24 hrs. without itching is like having Christmas! I woke last night with a little itching, not even enough to get up & put Orajel on it. I rolled over & went back to sleep. Up this morning to a few itchy spots & some new dh places & put the Orajel on & no more itchies!

ciamarie Rookie

Another thing that helped me on the back of my knees, was a lotion with tea tree oil in it. Specifically by Nature's Gate. I got it at super supplements. It relieved the itching and dryness long enough for me to sleep at night, though of course it has a bit of the tea tree odor so I didn't wear it during the day.

Thankfully, I've had some minor episodes since going gluten-free (and low-iodine) a few weeks ago, but it's much better.

Di2011 Enthusiast

I've had an interesting day! That Benzocaine does work!!!

Last night when I tried it I definitely notice a difference.

This morning I woke up to a nasty outbreak on my hands/fingers. I got so upset because today was Liams martial arts grading and we'd been invited to another families for BBQ afterwards. So this afternoon we are home and I've been mostly itch free. I took it with me and re-applied it after grading and before BBQ and two hours later I was not itching like crazy. What a relief to have something that allows me to be somewhat socially normal, not distracted wanting to tear my hands up in front of people.

And they were so intent about my meal that I felt safe eating that lovely meat & salad - and no consequences!!!!

squirmingitch Veteran

YAY! Thumbs up! :)

• 2 weeks later...
eatmeat4good Enthusiast

Ah!! I just saw this post! Yes, the benzocaine works great I'm so happy it is working for others too. Walgreens Brand of Pain Relieving Ointment is 20% Benzocaine the strongest you can get over the counter. If Orajel works that's great too! And if I planted a subliminal message that is pretty cool too! Anything that will help another DH sufferer is worth it to me! This is a miserable condition. Bactine is another way to get relief if you have DH over large areas of your body. Bactine is a spray and I found it difficult to use on my face...other than spraying it on a bandaid and applying the bandaid. But yeah, it really works. Those who are hurting, burning, and itching really need to know!!!

Sooo the list of products that works is now"

Pain Relieving Ointment

Bactine Spray

Orajel.

I once got lidocaine cream from my Dr. and it worked great...but it was crazy expensive compared to these other applications...so I use these. Although I have yet to try Orajel!

maximoo Enthusiast

I am going to try the orajel when we get mosquito bites! Out of desperation we have used ice to numb the horrible bites, and it works for awhile. But then again ice isn't that comfortable but its the lesser of 2 evils. So maybe if you are stuck w/o anything and are desperate for relief from your Dh try icing the area.

squirmingitch Veteran

Mosquito bites respond very well to Benadryl gel. Take it from a Floridian who deals with them 12 months of the year.

Fire ant got me the other day & I put a cotton ball soaked with witch hazel on it (Benadryl doesn't work so well for fire ants) & held that on for about 3 minutes & viola'! GONE.

The Orajel is around $9 for a little tube of it but you certainly don't need but a tiny dab on the spot. Yes, eatmeat4good, if you subliminally put that notion in my brain then YAAAAAAAAYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

eatmeat4good Enthusiast
:lol::lol::lol:B)
Di2011 Enthusiast

another knock to the medical/pharma industry wanting to research DH but who cares when you itch like us huh?

Archived