This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Cookbook Suggestions For A Newbie

Avalon451

Avalon451 Apprentice

My three daughters (9, 14 and 16) and I were recently diagnosed as celiac. My husband is not, but is heroically going gluten-free with us, starting this weekend, after the 16-y.o.'s endoscopy.

My question: What are some of your favorite cook books to get me started? I love to cook and am pretty confident in the kitchen; I do a lot of my cooking from scratch and I have lots of good equipment (which is all going to be scrubbed thoroughly before I start cooking gluten-free!).

I'm in need of more family stuff, though, rather than gourmet-type recipes. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

This is for websites

Lots of food is gluten-free or easy to switch to gluten-free. Look on the what's for dinner thread, too. You can check some out from the library to see if you like them, too.

Check this thread for last week

GFdad0110 Apprentice

If you like pizza check out the "gluten free pizza thread".

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

Everyone has a different idea of family stuff...

I've had best luck not trying to "convert" meals but just prepare without gluten. So lots of roasted, baked, grilled meats and veggies.

I also like dirty rice, and my steak and gravy and roux recipes convert easily with one change - sweet rice flour instead of wheat flour.

If you have a new gluten-free person (healing) you'll probably need to keep it simple, anyway.

Rice pastas bake better than mixed grain (corn/quinoa), and I like mixed grain pasta better for eating with sauce. But everyone is different!

I don't have gluten-free recipes (except baking), I just find recipes I like and choose the naturally gluten-free ones.

mommyto2kids Collaborator

I like the clean eating magazine. You can tweak it to get the gluten out. That is the best I've seen.

Avalon451 Apprentice

Thanks, everybody! Good suggestions. I'm reading reviews on Amazon, too.

Kelleybean Enthusiast

I just got the Almond Flour Cookbook by Elana Amsterdam. I'm loving it! Made her snickerdoodles the other day with some substitutions (coconut oil for grapeseed oil) and they were amazing. I like that she doesn't tend to use long lists of ingredients in her recipes so they go together really fast. She also has a website - www.elanaspantry.com.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

If you live near a Whole Foods, big natural foods store, or Barnes & Noble go by and browse. I am very picky about my cookbooks...and although Amazon gives me ideas I am usually disappointed if I don't screen it first.

GFdad0110 Apprentice

I just got the Almond Flour Cookbook by Elana Amsterdam. I'm loving it! Made her snickerdoodles the other day with some substitutions (coconut oil for grapeseed oil) and they were amazing. I like that she doesn't tend to use long lists of ingredients in her recipes so they go together really fast. She also has a website - www.elanaspantry.com.

Love using almond flour. I make waffles with it and brownies.

alex11602 Collaborator

That cookbook is one of my favorites, I use the book and her website for pretty much all my baking.

lucia Enthusiast

In addition to strictly gluten-free cookbooks, I'd also recommend looking into cookbooks that feature the cuisine of non-Western cultures. I'd especially recommend an Indian cookbook. Madhur Jaffrey's are great, especially the one that features meals in less than thirty minutes.

norcal-gf Newbie

Elizabeth Hasselbeck has another gluten free cookbook that just came out.

Deliciously gluten-free: Food So Flavorful They'll Never Believe It's Gluten-Free

I haven't tried it yet but has gotten some good reviews on Amazon:

http://www.(Company Name Removed - They Spammed This Forum and are Banned)/Deliciously-gluten-free-Flavorful-Gluten-Free-ebook/dp/B004W3FJ0C

I'm going to check my Costco to see if it's cheaper than the $18.00 Amazon price.

sa1937 Community Regular

I for one will never buy a book by Elizabeth Hasselbeck.

I'm not sure how important it is to buy a regular cookbook for gluten-free cooking as so many recipes in cookbooks you probably already own are either inherently gluten-free or can easily be made gluten-free. An exception, of course, would be baked goods.

With the proliferation of gluten-free blogs and other recipe websites, that would be a good place to start.

Ginsou Explorer

My favorite books have been written by Bette Hagman, Carol Fenster, and Annalise Roberts.

mamaw Community Regular

I, too would never buy Elizabeth Hasselback's cookbook. She always has one foot in her mouth when she talks about being gluten-free....

I love annalise roberts cookbook "Baking Classics". I have about twenty cookbooks & I find a couple of favorites out of all of them....

I think with family homestyle everyday meals just do as you do at present..You need to stay away from any coatings, marinades, rubs& injection of meats .. Go for naked meats, veggies & season your own with gluten-free... McCormicks labels...

For sweets go for a better flour blend & you can mostly use your favorite recipes... Here are a few better flour blends:

BetterBatter (also tons of recipes on that site)

Jules

Meister's

Tom Sawyer

cup4cup

betty hageman (several blends)

authenic flour (several blends)

Be sure to check out the big online store...A___ ____ _____ ____ _____... I'm not sure if we are allowed to mention it here on site...Pricing is good...

Some good mixes:

123 gluten free

anna Bread mixes

Pamela's

King Arthur

full flavor foods for sauces & gravies

celiacs pecialtes for croisssant rolls, donuts

conte's for ravioli, pierogi's

DePumas for high end tortellini, ravioli

everybody eats for ficeille rolls , baguetttes

Three Brothers bakers ( formally THe Grainless Baker)

Starfish for breaded fish( wild caught)

Bell & Evans chicken ( breaded nuggets, strips, italian & more.

Feel Good Foods for egg rolls, asian dumplings

Bi Aglut,orLeVenizanne for pasta

Schar

hth mamaw

Archived