This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Best Pot Roast Recipes?

hspichke

hspichke Apprentice

I am brand new to celiacs and looking for a good pot roast recipe for the crock pot! I just saw the post on here about lipton onion mix not being gluten free which totally bums me out because that is what I typically use! And beer..but I know that is out now. I am looking for recipes! The grocery stores here carry some gluten free specialty items but not too many. Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

This is one of my favorites.

Open Original Shared Link

For the crock pot brown it well, and add drippings to the pot.

Marilyn R Community Regular

Hi hs. and welcome to the forum.

I don't know if this is the best slow cooker recipe, but I generally brown my roast (easiest to brown on the grill), but you can use a cast iron pan or non-stick pan. Meantime I chop an onion, peel and slice 4-5 carrots. You can add chopped celery too. I like to saute the veggies before sticking them in the crock pot, but I don't think it's necessary. I cut up (unpeeled potatoes, throw them in the pot, along with the veggies I sauteed. Add a tablespoon or two of tomato paste and about 1/2 cup of water. Add salt and pepper. If you're used to Liptons, and more salt than you expect is correct. The potatos and veggies should be on the bottom of the crockpot, stick the roast on top, and let that pot do it's thing.

Lisa Mentor

I am brand new to celiacs and looking for a good pot roast recipe for the crock pot! I just saw the post on here about lipton onion mix not being gluten free which totally bums me out because that is what I typically use! And beer..but I know that is out now. I am looking for recipes! The grocery stores here carry some gluten free specialty items but not too many. Thanks!

Lipton Onion Mix is the ONLY Lipton Dry Mix that IS gluten free. I use it all the time. :D

From another post: (of mine)

Officially just in from Unilever via a wonderful company representative!

There has been NO formulation change regarding Lipton Onion Dry Soup Mix. Through Unilever policy of full disclosure, they have recently decided to include to source of the autolyzed yeast extract, as barley.

The trace barley in the finished product is 0.09 part per million in the Onion Soup, and 0.04 parts per million in the Vegetable Soup. Both are far below the standard (20ppm) of what is considered a safe level for a person with Celiac to consume.

Enjoy! :D

1974girl Enthusiast

I have two for you.

One is to put your roast in the crockpot with your veggies. Pour an entire bottle of Italian Dressing over it (gluten-free of course). Cook on low for 6-8 hours.

This one is called 3 packet pot roast. Disclaimer: Stolen off the crockpot gluten-free site. I did make this but it was really spicy due to the Peppercorn. My husband loved it but my kids couldn't handle the "burn". So, I would drastically reduce the peppercorn (maybe 1/4 a packet) if I used it at all again.

-packet of dry ranch dressing mix

--packet of dry Italian dressing mix

--McCormick Grill Mates Peppercorn & Garlic (the original recipe called for a packet of beef gravy or au jus, but all of the gravies and jus packets contain wheat starch. Please read labels carefully a few times if you are avoiding gluten.)

--3 lb chuck roast

--1 to 3 cups of water

The Directions.

I used my 6 quart Smart Set crockpot for this dinner.

I opted to not throw any vegetables into the crock because we had leftovers I needed to use. Feel free to throw in some chopped potatoes, an onion, carrots, and celery.

Trim the roast of any visible fat and place it into the crockpot. In a small bowl, combine the contents of the 3 packets. Pour on top of the meat. Flip the meat over a few times to get it covered with seasoning on all sides.

Add 1 cup of water.

Cook on low for 8 hours, or on high for 4-5. The meat will be more tender if you cook it low and slow.

20-30 minutes before eating, add 2 more cups of warm water to the crockpot, and flip to high.

The meat only needs 1 cup of water on it to cook properly, but the spices are too concentrated to only have 1 cup of water in the pot when it's time to eat. Waiting to add the water until the end will help the meat retain it's shape, and the added water will make a nice juicy gravy.

Ginsou Explorer

I no longer cook pot roasts....one of my favorite meals.....if you are lucky to live in an area where there is a Costco store, check it out for a pre-cooked pot roast in the refrigerated section....open shelves, not the large freezer cases. It is soy,gluten,dairy free, and the best pot roast my husband and I have ever eaten. I will be shopping for one on Monday, and hope they still stock it.

kitgordon Explorer

You can use Redbridge beer in recipes, or one of the other gluten-free ones.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Skylark Collaborator

My pot roast:

I don't like adding a bunch of liquid so I choose a crockpot where the meat fits snugly. I usually use my 3-quart crockpot because I try to get a smallish chuck roast. Brown the meat in a skillet if you have time. Put the roast in the crockpot and pour in a little red wine so it comes to the top of the roast. If the roast fits snugly in the crockpot this will not be more than 1/2 cup. Salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle on 1/2t dried savory and two cloves of minced garlic. On top of that, layer a package of sliced mushrooms and a small sliced onion. They will be high and dry but don't worry - the onions and mushrooms will eventually cook down onto the roast and flavor it. Turn on the crockpot, 4-5h on high or 8h on low. If you want to thicken the juices, stir in a tsp of arrowroot starch dissolved in a little cold water an hour before serving. Enjoy!

beebs Enthusiast

That sounds totally delish Skylark! Thanks!

PS - does crockpot mean slowcooker??

Skylark Collaborator

Yes, crockpot and slow cooker are the same as far as I know. I think Crock-Pot is Rival's trademark.

beebs Enthusiast

We are having your recipe for dinner tonight Skylark :)

Archived