This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Paleo/primal Dieters

SGRhapsodos

SGRhapsodos Rookie

Anyone here following the paleo/primal movement to manage their celiac? I find it easier to manage this disease being paleo. No grains so far has meant no contamination, no need for an additional toaster, more control of my blood sugar, and easier on my adrenals. The only hard part is figuring out the fat/protein/carb portions. I find that if i cut on carbs too much i lose wayyyy too much weight. Just wondering for how many of you this change in lifestyle had been helpful.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Skylark Collaborator

I'm paleo-ish. I find I have a little more energy if I have a few servings of rice, quinoa, or oats per week but that's about it for the grains and legumes. I don't worry at all about fat/protein/carb. I eat a nice serving of protein, veggies to fill up, and enough fat to make me feel satiated. If you are losing weight without carbs you need to be eating rich foods like avocado and nuts, and drizzling some olive oil on your veggies. Or make some coconut flour bread or almond flour muffins to munch on.

lizard00 Enthusiast

I'm Paleo-ish too. I just find that my body works better that way. I just finished doing a Whole 30, which I primarily did because I had just been feeling kinda blah. I felt much better when I was done, and plan to follow it most of the time. When I eat dairy it's pastured and raw. And a few sweet treats here and there ;)

SGRhapsodos Rookie

I don't follow it to the T either. I eat dairy because I tolerate it. There's nothing for me like a piece of Brie! I eat tubers and fruits mostly fir my carbs. Love the nuts!

quincy Contributor

Anyone here following the paleo/primal movement to manage their celiac? I find it easier to manage this disease being paleo. No grains so far has meant no contamination, no need for an additional toaster, more control of my blood sugar, and easier on my adrenals. The only hard part is figuring out the fat/protein/carb portions. I find that if i cut on carbs too much i lose wayyyy too much weight. Just wondering for how many of you this change in lifestyle had been helpful.

I just posted a new topic before seeing this one, sorry. If I go grain free where is my source of carbs? I hear that you need to have a certain amount of carbs, correct?

alex11602 Collaborator

I just posted a new topic before seeing this one, sorry. If I go grain free where is my source of carbs? I hear that you need to have a certain amount of carbs, correct?

White potatoes are a source of carbs for some, I personally use these and I do occasionally have a bit of white rice to control my blood sugar. Sweet potatoes are a good source of carbs and other starchy vegetables like carrots. There are also carbs in other vegetables and fruits also. As far as how many grams of carbs you need, I actually feel it depends on the person (like how much you are exercising and using those carbs and what carbs do to your blood sugar), for me I eat between 75 and 100 grams of carbs depending on the day because that's what works for me to keep my blood sugar relatively level.

Skylark Collaborator

Not really. You can burn healthy fats as fuel. Most people on paleo do eat fruit and vegetables that contain some carbs like winter squash. Paleo is not ketogenic like Atkins, but it is much lower in carbs than a typical American diet.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

SGRhapsodos Rookie

Some people might take paleo to the ketogenic territory. They only eat carbs from veggies like cauliflower, etc. I can't go that extreme. I figured I need about 100 carbs a day depending how much I work out. I usually eat all kinds of fruits, sweet potatoes, yucca, malanga, carrots, white potatoes, etc. Your body will tell you how much it needs. The key is to get enough dietary fat intake so you don't feel starved.

Blue-eyed bandit Apprentice

I have to eat paleo diet like... Mostly no dairy, but every now in then I'll have a string cheese, no grains for me since I'm allergic to all grains. I don't even eat coconut breads or anything like that. I've found it to be quite easy but the beginning was difficult. I eat an almond banana smoothie for breakfast or sauteed cabbage/kale/spinach/arugula with s piece of turkey bacon (nitrate free organic) with a sweet potato sometimes too. I eat salads for lunch with veggies and advocate , and meat and veggies for dinner. It's easy once you get used to it. I snack on fresh fruits and sometimes dried fruits. I'd like to consume less fruit sugars but I really can't take more out of my diet. I even eat fava beans for breakfast drizzled with olive oil and lemon juice salt and cumin and it's delicious. I do eat eggs sometimes but they bother my stomach which my allergist believes is because they eat so much grains themselves.

Kjas Newbie

I'm another one. I have a "break day" once every 3 months though.

I don't eat starches for the most part either. If I'm running low on crabs for the day then I make fresh vegetable juice to up it, sometimes I eat a little bit of nuts afterwards to control my blood sugar.

I didn't get it from a book or anything though, I came to this conclusion from my own experiments on myself over the years.

• 2 weeks later...
quincy Contributor

I'm another one. I have a "break day" once every 3 months though.

I don't eat starches for the most part either. If I'm running low on crabs for the day then I make fresh vegetable juice to up it, sometimes I eat a little bit of nuts afterwards to control my blood sugar.

I didn't get it from a book or anything though, I came to this conclusion from my own experiments on myself over the years.

I have switched off of most carbs to meats, veggies, some fruits etc. Due to my bladder problems I don't eat any citrus fruits but I will have blueberries in a smoothie etc. sometimes melon. I eat wild salmon several times a week, talapia, eggs once in a while and a slice or two of non-cured bacon with breakfast or lunch for the feeling of fullness.

So far I went down 10 pounds and I can fit into my jeans again, so thats a plus. The paleo diet not too bad if you can feel full on good fats I think.

Archived