This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Eczema

ida pachinsky

ida pachinsky Newbie

Since 10 years before being diagnosed with Celiac, I itched, scrathced and bled. The dematologists, creamed, sympathized and finally biopssed. Exzema, common garden variety. It did get better with a gluten free diet, but it never made sense. Nothing did.

I would still have random attacks.

Stress is not part of my vocabulary. Sun light helped. But it was the idea that celiac wasn't fully cured has kept me wondering something else was going on, in my digestive tract and on my skin.

When I lost my bowels at the grocery store. How embarrassing, I decided, enough is enough. I kept a journal of everything I was eating. Everything. I broke it down into - sulfites, night shades, eggs and milk. I pulled them all out of the diet. I had done all this before, with no results, but this time it was different. Within two weeks, I saw a pattern. 14 hours after eating the food, my skin oozed. And i scratched. It was sufites. It wasn't potato, a member of the night shade families- like tomato and the hated eggplant. it was the sulfites on the frozen ptoto I brought home.

But what really seems to heal me. And as I say this, I do not sell anything. I bought some super B vitamins and had been taking them for 3 months. It was the combination of taking the vitamins and omitting the sulpher additive. In two weeks I have healing skin.

So I did some checking up on the internet and some other woman had done the same and even took the same vitamins and she is cured. Then while I was in England last week, someone gave me a flyer that said sulfites destroy B1- thiamin in the human body.

So here I have celiac, I don't get all my vitamins as food is not enriched. I now take the vitamins, stop the sufites and my skin is clear.

Am I missing something? I use the ame salt shaker, no more sun than usual, it rained for weeks here. Maybe a bit more humidity.

Even my gum disease looks better.

So this is not scientific. But I am healing. Anyone have similar results, maybe something else is curing me and I have missed it, but my GI tract is humming. This is to good not to share.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Razzle Dazzle Brazell Enthusiast

Since 10 years before being diagnosed with Celiac, I itched, scrathced and bled. The dematologists, creamed, sympathized and finally biopssed. Exzema, common garden variety. It did get better with a gluten free diet, but it never made sense. Nothing did.

I would still have random attacks.

Stress is not part of my vocabulary. Sun light helped. But it was the idea that celiac wasn't fully cured has kept me wondering something else was going on, in my digestive tract and on my skin.

When I lost my bowels at the grocery store. How embarrassing, I decided, enough is enough. I kept a journal of everything I was eating. Everything. I broke it down into - sulfites, night shades, eggs and milk. I pulled them all out of the diet. I had done all this before, with no results, but this time it was different. Within two weeks, I saw a pattern. 14 hours after eating the food, my skin oozed. And i scratched. It was sufites. It wasn't potato, a member of the night shade families- like tomato and the hated eggplant. it was the sulfites on the frozen ptoto I brought home.

But what really seems to heal me. And as I say this, I do not sell anything. I bought some super B vitamins and had been taking them for 3 months. It was the combination of taking the vitamins and omitting the sulpher additive. In two weeks I have healing skin.

So I did some checking up on the internet and some other woman had done the same and even took the same vitamins and she is cured. Then while I was in England last week, someone gave me a flyer that said sulfites destroy B1- thiamin in the human body.

So here I have celiac, I don't get all my vitamins as food is not enriched. I now take the vitamins, stop the sufites and my skin is clear.

Am I missing something? I use the ame salt shaker, no more sun than usual, it rained for weeks here. Maybe a bit more humidity.

Even my gum disease looks better.

So this is not scientific. But I am healing. Anyone have similar results, maybe something else is curing me and I have missed it, but my GI tract is humming. This is to good not to share.

That is interesting, thanks for sharing.

ciamarie Rookie

Thanks for sharing that, Ida! That's awesome that you've found relief.

I've discovered I need to avoid sulfites too; but at the moment I'm avoiding supplements, until I can get my diet figured out and stop having reactions. I'm getting pretty close, though! Which ones do you take? I have some called 'Just Vitamins' by Solgar that someone else mentioned on here, I'll get back on those soon I hope.

squirmingitch Veteran

I'm so happy for you Ida! And also glad that you shared that info. it may help many of us now or in the future.

ida pachinsky Newbie

Replying to the question- whick vitamins do I take.

I happened upon a Walmart store and got Nature Made Super B vitamins. Hold on to your hat, they have 6,000 percent Thiamin. Most of the other b vitamins are in the 100- 250 per cent range.

doing a little reading, it seems that sulfites destroy Thiamin (B1). And considering all of this stuff is water soluble, there is no danger. (I drink lots of water).

One oither thing about these particular vitamins- they are USP. In other words, they are tested for potency. Just because a label says something, doesn't always mean it is verifiable.(sp?).

I understand that Costco's vitamin brand- Kirkland is also USP. It is certainly not the price that makes them special.

I have been reading that a number of Celiac's have problems with Sulfites. Gluten has a large number of sulfer bonds (cysteine and methionine). There has to be some relationship. It maybe too, that I am malnourished. I find that very hard to beleive by my diet, but not hard to see if I have chronic malabsorption from celiac damage to the samll intestine.

I don't know if people can show before and after pictures here, but I am still healing up. I would hope by next week to have solid skin.

squirmingitch Veteran

Ida, you can certainly show before & after pictures! I would be very interested to see them & i'm sure others would benefit from them too.

Interesting about the sulfites. I am low salicylate (sal) for the dh & it appears to me that being low sal has the added benefit of being low sulfite.

Archived