This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Cushing's Disease Or Buffalo Hump

twe0708

twe0708 Community Regular

I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease about 5 years ago. I recently notice this hump on my neck between my shoulders. No pain or discomfort. I researched it and came up with Cushings or Buffalo Hump. This website has a picture of a lady that shows exactly what I have.

Open Original Shared Link

You may have to copy and past the link in order for the pictures to come up. If they don't come up you can just select the Buffalo Hump link on the left and the picture of the first lady is what I have.

I have been under a tremendous amount of stress lately and it may have been brought on to my cortisone levels. I also get irritated easily.

I am going to the doctor today but was wondering what others have experienced.

Thanks.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

Are you on steroids?

No on steroids or any other medication.

sapereaude Newbie

Is it hard or soft tissue? I have that too - it feels like a bump in my spine is sticking out, and often hurts - pain radiates up and down my spine and out to my shoulders from that spot, I feel like I am hunching too much and need to stand up straighter or lean my head back. I always figured I had bad posture, not sure what it might be though.

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

I had what I thought eas the beginning of a hump when I was on steroids for the rash. It has gone away...I did have adrenal issues at the time, they were on overdrive. I also carrying fat on my upper chest/back so it was a hard call for me.

I got off steroids and got off gluten. Over time it went away.

bartfull Rising Star

Sapereaude, you may have cervical ribs. I have them. They say about one in a hundred people have them and they don't usually cause a problem until you injure, even slightly, the area. There are tiny vestigal ribs growing out of the cervical spine. They are floating ribs, and moving the wrong way (such as I did, stretching in my sleep one night) will make them move and press on a nerve. The pain is excruciating to the point it will take your breath away.

Some people have it even worse though. The ribs will sometimes press on a blood vessel instead of a nerve. I knew a young woman who was in a car accident. They treated her for whiplash, but her arm gave her trouble after that. It hurt, swelled up, and eventually she needed it amputated. It was only then that they discovered she had that rib cutting off the circulation, but by then it was too late.

When my ribs are in place and not pressing on any nerves I still get discomfort. I can't hold my arms out straight in front of me for more than a few seconds at a time. I can't sit and read at a table for more than a few minutes because that position causes pain.

There is a surgery they can do for some people to remove the ribs. I have seen two orthopedic surgeons and they both said mine were positioned in such a way that surgery would probably make things worse. (Oh well...)

Google it and see if your situation fits.

Is it hard or soft tissue? I have that too - it feels like a bump in my spine is sticking out, and often hurts - pain radiates up and down my spine and out to my shoulders from that spot, I feel like I am hunching too much and need to stand up straighter or lean my head back. I always figured I had bad posture, not sure what it might be though.

Did you look at the link I posted? That is exactly what mine looks like. I noticed it about 6 weeks ago. When my husband and I were out about a week ago he noticed it and I never pointed it out to him. He thought it was because I wasn't sitting up straight and that's why it's coming out. Like a hunch back. I will see what the doc says but I'm almost positive it's due to the stress I have been under. :( I'm in my early 40's and only weigh about 145. I'm 5'9" so I don't think it's weight related.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sapereaude Newbie

Sapereaude, you may have cervical ribs. I have them. They say about one in a hundred people have them and they don't usually cause a problem until you injure, even slightly, the area. There are tiny vestigal ribs growing out of the cervical spine. They are floating ribs, and moving the wrong way (such as I did, stretching in my sleep one night) will make them move and press on a nerve. The pain is excruciating to the point it will take your breath away.

Some people have it even worse though. The ribs will sometimes press on a blood vessel instead of a nerve. I knew a young woman who was in a car accident. They treated her for whiplash, but her arm gave her trouble after that. It hurt, swelled up, and eventually she needed it amputated. It was only then that they discovered she had that rib cutting off the circulation, but by then it was too late.

When my ribs are in place and not pressing on any nerves I still get discomfort. I can't hold my arms out straight in front of me for more than a few seconds at a time. I can't sit and read at a table for more than a few minutes because that position causes pain.

There is a surgery they can do for some people to remove the ribs. I have seen two orthopedic surgeons and they both said mine were positioned in such a way that surgery would probably make things worse. (Oh well...)

Google it and see if your situation fits.

Hmm, not sure that is it, it feels like the back of one of the cervical vertebrae is sticking out much further than the rest, I can feel around it on all sides. For me it isn't as severe as the picture of the hump (then again I can't exactly see it properly either), but it hurts regularly. Could be something completely different. I feel like I have so many freaking issues I don't know what to concentrate on, but since none of them are life threatening I just get the brush off from everyone. I haven't even tried to figure this one out yet. :P

Hmm, not sure that is it, it feels like the back of one of the cervical vertebrae is sticking out much further than the rest, I can feel around it on all sides. For me it isn't as severe as the picture of the hump (then again I can't exactly see it properly either), but it hurts regularly. Could be something completely different. I feel like I have so many freaking issues I don't know what to concentrate on, but since none of them are life threatening I just get the brush off from everyone. I haven't even tried to figure this one out yet. :P

OMG...I agree with what you are saying about so many issues! I feel the same way! The only reason I am going to the doctors for this is because I pulled up other images of people who's bumps are half the size of a basketball! Yikes!

Good luck with your problem!

Archived