This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Favorite Pie Crust Recipe?

MusicLover

MusicLover Newbie

This year will be my first gluten-free Thanksgiving and I want to be able to eat pie just like the rest of the family. My grandmother's pies used to be my favorite part of the meal. But since pie isn't exactly friendly on the waistband, I'd rather not have to test out a ton of different recipes in search of one I like. So if anyone would be so kind as to share their pie crust recipe I'd be ever so grateful!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient

This year will be my first gluten-free Thanksgiving and I want to be able to eat pie just like the rest of the family. My grandmother's pies used to be my favorite part of the meal. But since pie isn't exactly friendly on the waistband, I'd rather not have to test out a ton of different recipes in search of one I like. So if anyone would be so kind as to share their pie crust recipe I'd be ever so grateful!

I know I must sound like a walking advertisement for this company, but I use Gluten Free Pantry Pie Crust mix. I get 3 crusts out of a box, and the dough freezes well. I still make pies for holidays and get-togethers and everyone loves them, gluten-free or not.

I do find that I always need to add a bit more water than the directions call for, and if you try it, always roll out between plastic wrap ;)

celiac-mommy Collaborator

For a 1 crust, I use Pamela's bread flour mix...

Melt 1 stick of butter in a pie plate

add 2 tbs sugar (white or brown)

add 1 c Pamela's

Mix well in the pie plate until the flour and butter are well incorporated

Pat out into the pie plate

Refrigerate for 30 min before filling

Kinda tastes like shortbread. LOVE it for pumpkin pies!!

bbuster Explorer

This is quite good:

Gluten Free Pie Crust

For a double crust:

shadowicewolf Proficient

i'm definently makeing myself a pie this year >.> other family members can boohoo about it (considering they normaly have like two pies per holiday).

I'll try one of these recipies. :)

Though, i'm only a fan of an apple pie with the crumble on top.

jerseyangel Proficient

Though, i'm only a fan of an apple pie with the crumble on top.

My favorite apple pie too! Make yourself a nice big one and enjoy! :D

luvs2eat Collaborator

After trying many, this is the one I use all the time. If you let the dough come to almost room temp after being in the fridge, it rolls out like a dream.

Copied from the Better Batter flour website:

This is a nearly foolproof pie crust

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

shadowicewolf Proficient

Oh i'm planning on it >:3

sa1937 Community Regular

If pumpkin pie is your thing, you can make it crustless. Less calories, too...which seems to be my problem right now. laugh.gif

I also make crustless quiche. I bought a new rolling pin and pastry mat last year and have yet to try it.

kareng Grand Master

This is great with pumpkin pie! Or make it with the chocolate cookies and use it for a Cheese cake or chocolate pudding type pie.

2 cups gluten-free gingersnap cookies

2 TBLsp sugar

1/3 cup butter or margarine, diced small

1 Tblsp rice flour (I just used Pamelas)

Put the cookies, flour & sugar in a food processor (I used my blender) and pulse until you get fine crumbs. Add butter and pulse until crumbs form. Press into the bottom and up the sides of a lightly greased pie plate. Bake in the oven at 350F for 8-10 minutes until golden brown.

celiac-mommy Collaborator

That's what I usually do too, but last year since I always make cinnamon rolls on Christmas eve to serve Christmas morning, I made a double batch and...... wait for it.....

Sliced the extra log of cinnamon roll extra extra thin and layered it on top of the apple pie!!!! To DIE for!!! :wub:

:D:D

eat rite Newbie

Read Wheat Belly by Dr William Davis. Actually mentioned in the sponsor list.

I choose to avoid gluten-free products because of the high insulin spikes that all starches create examples potato, rice, tapioca, corn , etc.

Not a problem if you want to gain weight.

Here is a fabulous, fast gluten and gluten-free recipe for pie crust:

Get Almond Flour(blanched) for all grain free recipes (not Almond Meal which still contains the husk and does not work)

Can find on line. I purchase 5 lb. bags. I like Honevillegrain.com, or nutsonline.com

Simple Tart Crust:

preheat oven to 350

In large bowl

1 1/2 C (blanched) Almond Flour

1/2 tsp Salt

1/4 tsp Baking soda

In Small Bowl

1/4 C Grape seed Oil

2 T Light Raw Agave (preferred lower on the Glysemic Index and a plant derivative

1 tsp Vanilla

Stir both together and press into a pie pan. Bake 10 - 12 minutes

remove, cool and fill

Enjoy!

MusicLover Newbie

Thanks for all the great replies. Now I just have to decide pumpkin or apple crumb!

I have thought that the Annie's gluten-free snickerdoodle cookies would make a great gluten-free cheesecake crust too. And they aren't outrageously expensive either.

This is great with pumpkin pie! Or make it with the chocolate cookies and use it for a Cheese cake or chocolate pudding type pie.

2 cups gluten-free gingersnap cookies

2 TBLsp sugar

1/3 cup butter or margarine, diced small

1 Tblsp rice flour (I just used Pamelas)

Put the cookies, flour & sugar in a food processor (I used my blender) and pulse until you get fine crumbs. Add butter and pulse until crumbs form. Press into the bottom and up the sides of a lightly greased pie plate. Bake in the oven at 350F for 8-10 minutes until golden brown.

jebby Enthusiast

This is an awesome thread....looking forward to trying some of these recipes out with all of the apples we've been picking!!

prairiemamma Apprentice

Does anyone have a recipe that uses all purpose flour?? That's all I have in my house and don't intend on getting into the city before this weekend (thanksgiving)

kareng Grand Master

Does anyone have a recipe that uses all purpose flour?? That's all I have in my house and don't intend on getting into the city before this weekend (thanksgiving)

There are several on this thread that use "all-purpose" flour mixes. Pamelas and Better batter are all-purpose type things. Sometimes the companies web site will have a recipe, too.

sa1937 Community Regular

What brand of all-purpose gluten-free flour do you have on hand? Many manufacturers have websites with recipes that are developed using their brand of flour. Some brands already include xanthan gum in their flour mix and some don't.

Kelleybean Enthusiast

I use the one from Elana's Pantry. I also like it because I don't have to roll it out - I'm hopeless at it! - and can just press it into the pie crust. I do sub coconut oil for grapeseed oil in her recipes.

prairiemamma Apprentice

The all purpose I have is bobs red mill, but yesterday I went out and bought brown rice, sorghum, potato and tapioca starch (for a recipe I seen higher up in the thread)

AnnieInItaly Rookie

does anyone know if the egg in many of gluten-free pie crust recipes is necessary? I baked normal pies professionally until a few years ago, and now that I've gone gluten-free I've been trying to figure out the best way to do pie. In a normal pie crust, I've never used an egg, but maybe it is different with gluten-free flours?

Takala Enthusiast

With the gluten free pie crust recipes, if it calls for an egg, you had best use the egg or the egg sub, (such as a flax gel or a chia seed gel) because the gluten free flours behave differently when they are used in a pie crust recipe. Even if you have found or made a gluten free flour mixture that works for other recipes for baked goods, when it is used for pie crust you may get strange results, either too crumbly, or too hard and chewy.

Last year I gave up and just started putting a top crust on the pie fruit, a sort of combination of calorie cutting and not wanting to have yet another pie crust bottom that was not cooperating. :)

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

With the gluten free pie crust recipes, if it calls for an egg, you had best use the egg or the egg sub, (such as a flax gel or a chia seed gel) because the gluten free flours behave differently when they are used in a pie crust recipe. Even if you have found or made a gluten free flour mixture that works for other recipes for baked goods, when it is used for pie crust you may get strange results, either too crumbly, or too hard and chewy.

Last year I gave up and just started putting a top crust on the pie fruit, a sort of combination of calorie cutting and not wanting to have yet another pie crust bottom that was not cooperating. :)

Problem solving in the 21st century!

mushroom Proficient

Problem solving in the 21st century!

I do stuff like that too. Comes from not paying enough attention to stuff like math and chemistry in the 20th.

• 2 weeks later...
Mizzo Enthusiast

After trying many, this is the one I use all the time. If you let the dough come to almost room temp after being in the fridge, it rolls out like a dream.

Copied from the Better Batter flour website:

This is a nearly foolproof pie crust

Archived