This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Pegleg84

Pegleg84 Collaborator

Hi Guys

Not sure if this is the best place for this question, but i'll give it a shot.

So, I got my endoscopy test results back a couple weeks ago. No sign of gluten damage, obviously, but the doctor did notice some mild gastritis. Makes sense, since I've been having pains/problems with other foods. I'd been having a good stomach week when the scope was done, but have had problems on and off. Usually the pain is in the left side of my abdomen, and when I get into something with too much dairy or soy, or forget to take my digestive enzymes and eat anything too dense (meat, whole grains, etc).

For those who have gastritis (on and off, or constantly), what foods trigger it for you, what do you do to cope, and have there been any other complications?

My doctor reccomended I switch to tylenol for painkillers (I usually use ibuprophen) and of course go easy on the alcohol. But as we Celiac's know, there's always something food related...

Anyway, any suggestions, stories, etc appreciated.

Survived the holidays without too much pain (yet), despite having some likely quite buttery treats and accidentally eating some stuffing.

Thanks

Peg

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Juliebove Rising Star

My daughter had it but not from a food. Hers was from an antibiotic. They gave her some kind of med to help with the pain. I mainly fed her mild foods for a couple of weeks, like warm chicken and rice and warm broth. She was not supposed to have any overly hot or cold or spicy foots.

GottaSki Mentor

Hi Peg!

I have it. Developed between two and three years gluten-free! I am finally improving health wise so I am excited to have my next endo -- not for at least another six months to see if the gastritis and other digestive inflammation is subsiding or hopefully by that point - gone!

I know you have already removed some foods and hate to suggest others, perhaps you could try drinking nettle tea -- there is a thread regarding treating inflammation with nettle tea -- it is working for me and some others, while others have noticed no improvement -- just may be something you'd like to try.

Pegleg84 Collaborator

Oh! yes, I did read the nettle tea thread, and meant to go get some to try. I'll give it a shot.

I will hopefully have a proper GI in the near future (I have my referral anyway, still have to book an apt) and see what he/she says about it.

It's flared up quite a bit the past week or so (also due to mild glutenings/milk consumption, and more alcohol than usual), enough that I had to stay home yesterday. My stomach is still being touchy, but no eating out or anything unusual for me for the next week if I can manage it. At least now I know what's going on. Next is to figure out what else I shouldn't be eating.

Nettle tea. We'll see how it goes.

Thanks guys

Peg

Pegleg84 Collaborator

Ok, so I finally got me some nettle tea yesterday. Not bad taste wise. I don't know if it helped my stomach situation or not. It certainly didn't help immediately (actually felt a little worse while drinking it) but today I am doing relatively better.

Last night was a killer. Yesterday I ate a little too much 'may contain soy' treats that obviously did contain soy. I hereby declare soy the root of all evil. Ok, 2nd to gluten, but it almost makes me feel worse. The side of my stomach was aching, felt like some slight heartburn (beginning of acid reflux, which I thankfully never have), and general nausea and feeling like crap. I took extra ginger, drank down some apple cider vinegar and water (not sure if that helped, but it made my throat taste less gross), took a tylenol and eventually got to sleep. This morning felt pretty decent. Wohoo!

The reason for this current bad flareup is probably that I was horribly sick on New Year's Eve. A little too much drinky combined with questionable snacking = disaster. I hate throwing up in the first place (thankfully, for someone who feels nauseous half the time, I've got a pretty strong stomach), and this was some of the worst I've done in years. So bad... I think the acid probably damaged my stomach and throat a bit.

So, back to the nettle tea: does it take a few days to feel any difference? I'll try some more tonight.

Thanks

Archived