This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Foul Gas

Tom62

Tom62 Newbie

Hello,

I am a 47 year old male in AB Canada.

For the past nine years (up to Oct 2009) I was experiencing high volumes of gas when I continually consumed meals that contained more than 200mg of calcium. The maximum calcium that I could consume in a day was about 600mg or I would get large volumes of gas. I also was getting a very foul smelling gas when I ate large amounts of beta carotene rich foods. A could not average much more than the RDA (5000I.U./day) of beta carotene or I would get this foul smelling gas and stool.

My blood test (Anti-transglutaminase IgA) for celiac disease was both negative in 2004 and in May 2009.

I am a regular blood donor. While I was experiencing these symptoms I was not absorbing my iron very well and could not donate as regular as before the symptoms began. Since Oct 2009 I have been absorbing my iron very well.

As a child I had intense abdominal and bone pain that went away as I approached my teen years.

My gastroscopy appointment is in March 2010. If the symptoms do not come back the test is going to be in vain and I will not know if I was experiencing celiac disease.

If anyone has been experiencing similar symptoms and received a positive test for celiac disease I would like to hear from you.

Tom62

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Yup Apprentice
Hello,

I am a 47 year old male in AB Canada.

For the past nine years (up to Oct 2009) I was experiencing high volumes of gas when I continually consumed meals that contained more than 200mg of calcium. The maximum calcium that I could consume in a day was about 600mg or I would get large volumes of gas. I also was getting a very foul smelling gas when I ate large amounts of beta carotene rich foods. A could not average much more than the RDA (5000I.U./day) of beta carotene or I would get this foul smelling gas and stool.

My blood test (Anti-transglutaminase IgA) for celiac disease was both negative in 2004 and in May 2009.

I am a regular blood donor. While I was experiencing these symptoms I was not absorbing my iron very well and could not donate as regular as before the symptoms began. Since Oct 2009 I have been absorbing my iron very well.

As a child I had intense abdominal and bone pain that went away as I approached my teen years.

My gastroscopy appointment is in March 2010. If the symptoms do not come back the test is going to be in vain and I will not know if I was experiencing celiac disease.

If anyone has been experiencing similar symptoms and received a positive test for celiac disease I would like to hear from you.

Tom62

Hi Tom 62,

Keep eating gluten until after all the testing. My blood work was negative as well, but I was still aneamic and my stomach was not always giving me problems. I would be fine for a while and then not. My doctor sent me for an endoscopie. It wasn't until the endoscopie that I got the Celiac diagnosis. I'm more of a silent celiac compared to a classic. If you do end up celiac or with a gluten sensitivity there are a number of bakeries in both Edmonton and Calgary. The best one in my opinion in the Calgary area is gluten-free Patisserie. They are located in Cochrane and they create wonderful gourmet gluten-free products with only the best ingredients. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that you find the answer to your concerns.

Tom62 Newbie
Hi Tom 62,

Keep eating gluten until after all the testing. My blood work was negative as well, but I was still aneamic and my stomach was not always giving me problems. I would be fine for a while and then not. My doctor sent me for an endoscopie. It wasn't until the endoscopie that I got the Celiac diagnosis. I'm more of a silent celiac compared to a classic. If you do end up celiac or with a gluten sensitivity there are a number of bakeries in both Edmonton and Calgary. The best one in my opinion in the Calgary area is gluten-free Patisserie. They are located in Cochrane and they create wonderful gourmet gluten-free products with only the best ingredients. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that you find the answer to your concerns.

Mila's Mom

Thank you for the reply. Were you experiencing any of the symptoms that I was? Foul gas after eating large amounts of beta carotene rich foods? Large amounts of gas when consuming a lot of calcium rich foods?

Tom62, Edmonton AB

tarnalberry Community Regular

When you say "calcium rich foods", do you mean dairy? Many people - most, actually - develop lactose intolerance at some point in their life, and foul smelling gas is one of the primary signs.

Tom62 Newbie

When you say "calcium rich foods", do you mean dairy? Many people - most, actually - develop lactose intolerance at some point in their life, and foul smelling gas is one of the primary signs.

No, not dairy. I have been vegan for 20 years. I do not get foul gas from calcium rich foods (soy, chia, beet greens). I get the foul gas from beta carotene rich foods(red sweet potato, carrots).

Tom62

Archived